News:

We have implemented a Photo Gallery for hosting images right here on SAACFORUM. Check the How-To in News from HQ

Main Menu

1967 GT 350 (Early 10/66) Seat Belt Anchor Bolts

Started by DGSOH, May 10, 2018, 06:22:40 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

DGSOH

What do I need to know about the seat belt anchor bolts - I don't know what I don't know?

Planning on getting repros as the ones that came off the car are pretty rough but the repros I've found so far are different from what was there i.e. hex head (repro) vs Torx (or Torx-like). Are they all the same prior to 2/68 meaning regardless of body style and options - not are the fronts the same as the rears? Is there a difference in the fronts because of the shoulder harnesses?

Guidance appreciated.

Thanks -

DGSOH

BGlover67

I just sent my seat belts off to Stewart at Python restorations.  He will restore/replate the anchor bolts.  Perhaps send yours to him?
Thanks,
Brian R. Glover
SAAC Carolina's Northern Representative

Bob Gaines

Quote from: BGlover67 on May 10, 2018, 08:16:56 PM
I just sent my seat belts off to Stewart at Python restorations.  He will restore/replate the anchor bolts.  Perhaps send yours to him?
Or you may have cores to sell and have restored
Bob Gaines,Shelby Enthusiast, Shelby Collector , Shelby Concours judge SAAC,MCA,Mid America Shelby

DGSOH

Thanks Brian & Bob.

The first thing I need to know, and I think I've found the answer elsewhere, is what is the correct bolt head - Torx or hex? What I have is Torx which appears to be correct for later model Mustangs and likely not for '67. Is this correct?

Thanks.

btw: Tried to attach image but "upload folder is full" exception occurred.

J_Speegle

Hex head like used in 66 for front and rear.

Nice unrestored example

Jeff Speegle- Mustang & Shelby detail collector, ConcoursMustang.com mentor :) and Judge

J_Speegle

Jeff Speegle- Mustang & Shelby detail collector, ConcoursMustang.com mentor :) and Judge

BGlover67

Thanks,
Brian R. Glover
SAAC Carolina's Northern Representative

Shelby_r_b

Nothing beats a classic!

roddster

Torx fasteners came later.  Like in the late 70's or early 1980's.  Well, I mean in passenger car use.

roddster

A little bird PM'd me to say "look again".  So, I got on "Google" and googled "History of Torx fasteners".  Turns out a business named Camcar Thexton introduced the Torx head in 1967.  I did not find the first automotive application.  It was suggested that Torx headed fasteners were on the 69 Mustangs. Calipers.  Learn something new every other day.  I can't say that they are.  I have no 69 'stangs around near me.

TLea

Torx seat belt fasteners first used on shoulder harnesses 68 Mustang but never Shelby till 69

Andrew@MagMustangs

Torx first used sometime in 1968 Mustang production for all seat belt locations. I haven't figured out even an approximate time frame for the switchover. Have an early June 68 San Jose car here with Hex Head but have had quite a few cars built earlier with Torx, not sure on assembly plant. All 69-Later Mustangs had Torx.

1967 eight barrel

What wasn't mentioned is the fact that the bolt, while looking the same as it's kin, the standard Mustang isn't. The shoulder on the bolt is longer as well as using spacers the Mustang didn't. It uses the same bolt as Mustangs with the shoulder strap option. Not to be confused with the Shelby Y harness. My bolts had a large N on them.
                                                                              -Keith

J_Speegle

Quote from: 1967 eight barrel on May 17, 2018, 03:19:20 PM
What wasn't mentioned is the fact that the bolt, while looking the same as it's kin, the standard Mustang isn't. The shoulder on the bolt is longer as well as using spacers the Mustang didn't. It uses the same bolt as Mustangs with the shoulder strap option. Not to be confused with the Shelby Y harness. My bolts had a large N on them.
                                                                              -Keith

Of course your referring to (just reminding others reading this now an din the future) the front seat belt bolts and not the rears  since those are the exact ones used on Mustangs and not removed by Shelby