Author Topic: How often do you think about your Shelby when not driving it?  (Read 1932 times)

deathsled

• SAAC Member
    • View Profile
How often do you think about your Shelby when not driving it?
« on: January 21, 2022, 12:19:31 PM »
Intellectual curiosity drives me to ask what percentage your Shelby(s) or other amazing cars occupy one's thoughts throughout any given day.  I think about mine every day.  Not all the time every day but they are there and come up without a moment's notice.  Then it gives me an added kick to do or complete whatever it is that I am doing.
"Low she sits on five spoke wheels
Small block eight so live she feels
There she's parked beside the curb
Engine revving to disturb
She's the princess from his past
Red paint gold stripes damned she's fast"

shelbydoug

• SAAC Member
    • View Profile
Re: How often do you think about your Shelby when not driving it?
« Reply #1 on: January 21, 2022, 01:24:03 PM »
Intellectual curiosity drives me to ask what percentage your Shelby(s) or other amazing cars occupy one's thoughts throughout any given day.  I think about mine every day.  Not all the time every day but they are there and come up without a moment's notice.  Then it gives me an added kick to do or complete whatever it is that I am doing.

I suppose everyday since I got my first one in 1972. It varies though between love and hate. I don't think of it as a living thing though. It's just a machine.

Not as radical as the "Hot tub time machine" but a time machine of sorts none the less.

I'm wondering if "the watchers" are fascinated by this entire phenomenon? It is rather inexplicable.
68 GT350 Lives Matter!

• 1967 gt500 since 82 NFS!
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: January 21, 2022, 03:02:27 PM »
Honestly ,less as I get older.That and my failing memory keeps things “fresh” when I drive it. ;) 8)

deathsled

• SAAC Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: January 21, 2022, 03:26:02 PM »

I suppose everyday since I got my first one in 1972. It varies though between love and hate. I don't think of it as a living thing though. It's just a machine.

Not as radical as the "Hot tub time machine" but a time machine of sorts none the less.

I'm wondering if "the watchers" are fascinated by this entire phenomenon? It is rather inexplicable.
True that the Shelby, or any automobile for that matter, is not a living thing, though I submit that it is a creation of the living and behaves as if alive in every way.  It even looks alive, does it not?  The headlights like shark's eyes, the wheels, all four of them like the appendages of a human or a hound, the gasoline that it drinks much like the liquid consumed by all that is living, the refreshment of water being the only difference to stay alive.  It is alive in ways that we do not understand, perhaps. 

shelbydoug

• SAAC Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: January 21, 2022, 03:37:53 PM »

True that the Shelby, or any automobile for that matter, is not a living thing, though I submit that it is a creation of the living and behaves as if alive in every way.  It even looks alive, does it not?  The headlights like shark's eyes, the wheels, all four of them like the appendages of a human or a hound, the gasoline that it drinks much like the liquid consumed by all that is living, the refreshment of water being the only difference to stay alive.  It is alive in ways that we do not understand, perhaps.

No but perhaps you live vicariously through it? Many human creations seem to harbor human traits. Buildings, art objects, film, music. It's the signature of their creators and can be very powerful mediums.
68 GT350 Lives Matter!

jk66gt350

• View Profile
« Reply #5 on: January 21, 2022, 03:44:53 PM »
Every time I go into the garage and see it covered up there in hibernation until spring, and wish I could drive it.

deathsled

• SAAC Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: January 21, 2022, 03:55:39 PM »

No but perhaps you live vicariously through it? Many human creations seem to harbor human traits. Buildings, art objects, film, music. It's the signature of their creators and can be very powerful mediums.
I would agree.  That sums it up.

FL SAAC

• SAAC Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: January 21, 2022, 04:00:40 PM »
I don't think of it at all unless I am driving it....or when I leave it parked elsewhere than the garage that it's interned in
Living RENT FREE in your minds...

Home of the Hertz Musketeers 

A person without a sense of humor is like a wagon without springs.  It's jolted by every pebble on the road

I have all UNGOLD cars

I am certainly not a Shelby Expert

Life is short B happy

shelbydoug

• SAAC Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: January 21, 2022, 04:02:36 PM »

I would agree.  That sums it up.

It's been a 50 year ride for me and has had it's ups and downs but it is never disappointed in me and never expects anything. It still holds it's style well and has been restored twice. People can't be.

People should take note.  :)
« Last Edit: January 21, 2022, 07:34:03 PM by shelbydoug »
68 GT350 Lives Matter!

Don Johnston

• SAAC Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: January 21, 2022, 09:49:40 PM »
Emotional appreciation and attachment gets more intense when you give it a pet name and keep it for decades to enjoy.  You tend to imagine that it gets lonely without your attention. 8)

jk66gt350

• View Profile
« Reply #10 on: January 21, 2022, 11:22:54 PM »
My wife gave mine its pet name - The Mistress - and way less expensive than the real thing. 

GT350AUS

• View Profile
« Reply #11 on: January 22, 2022, 12:22:50 AM »
Never think of them if I’m not driving them.

If I was thinking of them then I’d drive them

FL SAAC

• SAAC Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: January 22, 2022, 09:39:00 AM »

Choices, multi faceted, diverse  + 1

Never think of them if I’m not driving them.

If I was thinking of them then I’d drive them
Living RENT FREE in your minds...

Home of the Hertz Musketeers 

A person without a sense of humor is like a wagon without springs.  It's jolted by every pebble on the road

I have all UNGOLD cars

I am certainly not a Shelby Expert

Life is short B happy

Rocket

• View Profile
« Reply #13 on: January 22, 2022, 11:40:55 AM »
I think of ours all the time. I get to drive it some, year round. One of the benifits  of living in Colorado.  Ron
Original owner of 6S550. Owned since 1967. 64,000 Miles, all body original except hood and front valance. All glass original except windshield. Still has aluminum 4 speed. Has replacement Mico.  Also own 1966 Mustang convertible. They are drivers, not trailer queens.

SFM6S

• SAAC Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: January 24, 2022, 10:00:08 AM »

jk66gt350  My wife gave that name to 6S1766 as well. 

I do think about mine daily, and I do look at it every day.