News:

SAAC Member Badges are NOW available. Make your request through saac.memberlodge.com to validate membership.

Main Menu

CSX2??? number question, one for the Shelby aficionados

Started by Benny, January 22, 2022, 04:28:08 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Benny

One for the Shelby aficionados, what's the CSX number of the prototype Cobra in the workshop being fitted with a 427? Is it 2196 or 3002? I know its Phil, Ken & Pete in the photo however is it Ted Sutton working on the Cobra? Thanks for any information, cheers.
6S1507

98SVT - was 06GT

Previous owner 6S843 - GT350H & 68 GT500 Convert #135.
Mine: GT1 Mustang Track Toy, 1998 SVT Cobra, Wife's: 2004 Tbird
Member since 1975 - priceless

TA Coupe

Those tires sure are skinny. I've seen  people riding bikes around with tires about that size.

Roy
If it starts it's streetable.
Overkill is just enough.

shelbydoug

Quote from: 98SVT - was 06GT on January 22, 2022, 05:50:00 PM
Quote from: Cobra Ned on January 22, 2022, 04:53:04 PM
That's CSX 2196.
Pre 1 piece flip up nose? Didn't it get a 390 first?

The story was an aluminum 390 as I heard it. I've heard that car called "scary" more then once and only one of them was built in that configuration.

I'm presuming as a result that the review refereed to the track handling capabilities?
Maybe it is the motivation to go to the coil spring chassis?
68 GT350 Lives Matter!

Cobra Ned

One would almost think that some of you failed to consult your Cobra Registry. (You all have one, correct?  ;D :( )In it, there is a full write-up of the initial incarnation of 2196 as a modified, standard leaf-sprung Cobra with a 427 stuffed into it and a host of other modifications to support it. But once the car was beat to death at the '64 Sebring 12-hour Endurance Race, Shelby American scrapped the bulk of it, billed FoMoCo over $9,000 for its loss, and built a lightweight custom starting with just the frame rails of the original car. That was the infamous "Flip Top," which was tested with both a lightweight 390 as well as a standard 427. It was raced at the Nassau Speed Week late in '64, after which Shelby American decided to sell the car. Today it is part of the Legendary Motorcars collection.

shelbydoug

Well speaking just of myself, I loose attention after the first two paragraphs so if the information is in paragraph three or beyond...poof!  ::)
68 GT350 Lives Matter!

6s2055

The car was "scary"! When Rich Mason owned it, along with Dragon Snake CSX2427, he let me drive the car at Sears & Thunderhill. It was more than scary and touchy! The slightest tap and it would break loose. Rich Mason was a true believer that "the cars were meant to be driven"!

Benny

I have never heard CSX2196 being called "Scary" however Ken did name it "The Turd".
6S1507

csxsfm

I heard Davey Ridenour call it a real handful after winning in it at Camp Stoneham and he raced sprint cars on dirt!

Cobra Ned

Quote from: Benny on January 26, 2022, 03:25:02 AM
I have never heard CSX2196 being called "Scary" however Ken did name it "The Turd".

It was reported he was referencing its aerodynamic design.  :)

6R07mi

a color photo from Nassau

and a couple of the chassis stripped down at Nassau

jim p
Former owner 6S283, 70 "Boss351", 66 GT 6F07, 67 FB GT
current: 66 GT former day 2 track car 6R07
20+ yrs Ford Parts Mgr, now Meritor Defense