News:

We have implemented a Photo Gallery for hosting images right here on SAACFORUM. Check the How-To in News from HQ

Main Menu

Concourse Displays

Started by NukeGT, January 23, 2022, 11:27:17 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

NukeGT

Never seen a display like this at any SAAC convention event. Sure would be easy for concourse judging access! Hopefully they will come to Indianapolis SAAC-47 show.

Vytas

NukeGT

More pictures

S8MS-01904

Awesome, thanks for sharing...

Bob Gaines

For sure a cool display. I too hope the display will show up at a SAAC convention.A display like pictured is highly encouraged just not in typical judged class's. The concours class's at those venues are meant to judge the cars based on the way they would have come from the dealer when brand new and not any kind of extra display. In order to have all entrants on the same level during judging extra items ,stands ,mirrors etc. are not allowed . Items not typical to the as delivered condition expected may be grounds for deductions . Expectations are posted in the guidelines.The judges I have had the honor to work with along with myself typically give a entrant a chance to remove displays or extra items prior to judging .
Bob Gaines,Shelby Enthusiast, Shelby Collector , Shelby Concours judge SAAC,MCA,Mid America Shelby

BGlover67

Quote from: Bob Gaines on January 23, 2022, 01:54:47 PM
For sure a cool display. I too hope the display will show up at a SAAC convention.A display like pictured is highly encouraged just not in typical judged class's. The concours class's at those venues are meant to judge the cars based on the way they would have come from the dealer when brand new and not any kind of extra display. In order to have all entrants on the same level during judging extra items ,stands ,mirrors etc. are not allowed . Items not typical to the as delivered condition expected may be grounds for deductions . Expectations are posted in the guidelines.The judges I have had the honor to work with along with myself typically give a entrant a chance to remove displays or extra items prior to judging .

Wait, so you mean the '68 GT500KR's didn't originally come with one hubcap wheel and the rest 10 spokes?   All kidding aside, that's a cool display to inform folks of the two wheel options, though I would have preferred to see the majority of wheels being hub capped and one 10 spoke rim there to show what most people didn't receive with their 1968s.
Thanks,
Brian R. Glover
SAAC Carolina's Northern Representative

Don Johnston

Must have required another large trailer for the  equipment and good thing it was not an event on a lawn.  I have seen some similar displays  at major regional indoor car shows over the years.  Amazing stuff. 8)

Tired Sheep

I guess you can choose the flashy display or actually getting your car correct.

Obviously this owner selected the former

Bob Gaines

Keep in mind that a display like that can also highlight unintentional flaws like the wheel that has already been pointed out. A car had better be prepared historically correct first before being displayed in a way that it is expected to be highly examined in the original assemblyilne context that in this case is obviously the intention . For example although a extremely impressive and well done display many assemblyline detail mistakes can be seen in the picture. No doubt a informed judge would find many more upon close examination .
Bob Gaines,Shelby Enthusiast, Shelby Collector , Shelby Concours judge SAAC,MCA,Mid America Shelby

propayne

Here is the signboard in an easier to read configuration -

- Phillip

President, Delmarva Cougar Club - Brand Manager, Cougar Club of America

alexgt350h

The owner of this car is new to the Shelby world. This car was recently finished, and he has plans to show it around the midwest.
I know it will be judged at the IN SAAC Fall Classic this coming Oct.
Be it Concours, or Display class it will be presented in a proper way for that event.
I don't know his plans as far as SAAC goes.
Brent

98SVT - was 06GT

I know some people who have hauled and set up these type displays, that do get judged, at many big shows. Some Most Beautiful Roadster, Foose and Riddler winners among them. It typically takes them 8-12 hours to set it up. Including cleaning the car (which was cleaned, detailed and polished before it went in the trailer) and rolling it into place with the tires wrapped so they don't pick anything up off the clean arena floor. Once the wrappers are off they rotate the wheels so the tires read right and the valve stems are in their proper place.
While a lift would be great for judging I'm not sure if the club would want the liability if something failed or damaged a car in any way. They'll just have to make do with finding skinny judges to do underneath the cars.
Previous owner 6S843 - GT350H & 68 GT500 Convert #135.
Mine: GT1 Mustang Track Toy, 1998 SVT Cobra, Wife's: 2004 Tbird
Member since 1975 - priceless

roddster

Although I didn't see the ISCA icon, judged indoor shows encourage entrants to have a display.
ISCA stands for International Show Car Association.  They actually add points for a well detailed display.  This is why the one side of the car had its wheels off, brake drum laying there so the judges can see the detailing of the brake parts (that is not a requirement).
  Plus, that is a multi-make show so to paraphrase Mr. Kopeck, "they wouldn't know correctness if it fell on their head".  They had to judge all the other different makes in the restored class. 

I'm not sure if the AACA encourages displays.  But the AACA breaks the judges apart where one crew does just the engine, another just the engine, another just the exterior and so on.

SAAC and also the MCA discourages displays as they get in the way of the judges.

Bob Gaines

Quote from: roddster on January 24, 2022, 06:43:56 PM
  Although I didn't see the ISCA icon, judged indoor shows encourage entrants to have a display.
ISCA stands for International Show Car Association.  They actually add points for a well detailed display.  This is why the one side of the car had its wheels off, brake drum laying there so the judges can see the detailing of the brake parts (that is not a requirement).
  Plus, that is a multi-make show so to paraphrase Mr. Kopeck, "they wouldn't know correctness if it fell on their head".  They had to judge all the other different makes in the restored class. 

I'm not sure if the AACA encourages displays.  But the AACA breaks the judges apart where one crew does just the engine, another just the engine, another just the exterior and so on.

SAAC and also the MCA discourages displays as they get in the way of the judges.
More then discouraged at SAAC or MCA , displays in a judged class are prohibited . There is another category for displays in those venues because they are wanted and encouraged just in a different category.

98SVT - was 06GT

Quote from: roddster on January 24, 2022, 06:43:56 PMISCA stands for International Show Car Association.  They actually add points for a well detailed display.  This is why the one side of the car had its wheels off, brake drum laying there so the judges can see the detailing of the brake parts (that is not a requirement).
These shows award for design and workmanship. They could care less if it's original. I'd like to see the Riddler judges score a 100 point Mustang - I doubt it would even make it to the Great Eight.
PS - no hate mail please - just pointing out there are apples and oranges.
Previous owner 6S843 - GT350H & 68 GT500 Convert #135.
Mine: GT1 Mustang Track Toy, 1998 SVT Cobra, Wife's: 2004 Tbird
Member since 1975 - priceless