Author Topic: Date Code Opinions  (Read 1760 times)

s2ms

• SAAC Member
    • View Profile
    • 6S1757 Info
Date Code Opinions
« on: January 24, 2022, 03:34:30 PM »
Another forum member and I have been looking over a 66 a friend is interested in buying. Don't want to reveal any numbers at this point but would like opinions if the engine assembly date makes sense...

We figure the scheduled build date is March 14-16 based on Ford VINs of close cars. From the Registry the car had it's radio installed March 30 at Hi-Performance Motors. The engine assembly date is 6C9L, the correct Ford VIN is stamped on the block but looks slightly "atypical". Is this assembly date in the realm of possibility?  Seems like the other cars I've seen with original engines and SAI VINs close to this car have had assembly dates in February.

Thanks,
Dave 
Dave - 6S1757

J_Speegle

• SAAC Member
  • Just here to help :)
    • View Profile
    • ConcoursMustang.com
Re: Date Code Opinions
« Reply #1 on: January 24, 2022, 04:00:14 PM »
Have you collected all of the visible date codes from the panels that make up the uni-body? And if so how do those compare to the scheduled date?
Jeff Speegle- Mustang & Shelby detail collector, ConcoursMustang.com mentor :) and Judge

camp upshur

• View Profile
« Reply #2 on: January 24, 2022, 04:10:56 PM »
For your consideration:

-my car is a 65;
-it's engine machining date is 4/28/65 (in Cleveland);
-it's sheetmetal stampings are centered mid-April;
-it was received at LAX from San Jose on 5/9/65.

I have a friend whose 65 was received at LAX on 5/13/65;
His engine is dated 5/3/65. His sheetmetal is also mid-April.
These times are incredibly tight considering the engines were crated, railed cross-country, installed, trucked and delivered within approximately 10 days.

Lastly, the block VIN stamping is of a different type-set than the fender-borne VIN stampings.
FWIW, I've found scheduled build dates to be the least dispositive once real analysis began (YMMV).

trotrof1

• View Profile
« Reply #3 on: January 24, 2022, 04:20:18 PM »
What are the dates on the distributor and carb? Can you take a peek at the dates on the heads?

427hunter

• SAAC Member
  • Caretaker of 1969 gt500 #602 and 1966 gt350 #853
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: January 24, 2022, 04:32:49 PM »
The sheet metal date codes will tell you all you need to know about the car. It's not hard to find a 289 block and stamp it, it's a lot harder to find all matching sheet metal to meet the build date of the car.
“You keep using that word, I do not think it means what you think it means”

Inigo Montoya

“This life’s hard, man, but it’s harder if you’re stupid”

Jackie Brown

2000 hours of my life stolen by 602 over three years

s2ms

• SAAC Member
    • View Profile
    • 6S1757 Info
« Reply #5 on: January 24, 2022, 05:22:43 PM »
Thanks for all the replies.

Yes, we have looked at the visible date codes and most align well with the scheduled build date. There has been some sheet metal replacement, we are still dialing in how extensive that is. Using my 66 as a yardstick since it's scheduled build is 2 weeks later, and other than driver side fender, has all original sheet metal. This car's sheet metal dates align very well with my car although there are a couple outside (but not crazy) what we would have anticipated, still need to determine if those were replaced. Regardless, nothing alarming on sheet metal. No concerns at all on this being a rebody, etc.

The main question is if this is the original engine. Original C6ZF-F carb has been replaced with a later 715 and original distributor replaced with a Motorcraft dual point, so those original dates are gone. We were not able to pull a valve cover to check head dates. Intake is period correct S2MS. Seems really tight to have a 3/9/66 engine assembly date and be finished at SAI 3/30/66 but sounds like from the examples in camp upshur's post #2 it is possible.

Thanks for the help!
Dave
Dave - 6S1757

camp upshur

• View Profile
« Reply #6 on: January 24, 2022, 11:05:05 PM »
Well, uh, if having the original engine wasn't of significance, then I guess this thread wouldn't exist.
Unfortunately many 'Shelbys' have cloned or facsimile-tribute engines, not the end of the world, but important in terms of value and originality, and your concerns on your friend's behalf are well placed.
Best to keep it fact-specific.
With the limitations you have, you could check the balancer and front cover. These dated items would typically not be serviced, as perhaps a carb or distributor could be over the course of 55 years (although balancers and cylinder heads were created in batches sometimes months away from an engine's assembly).
Your best bet is an analysis of the block stamping. As mentioned, block stampings are very nuanced from the fender stampings.
Any further feel free to PM.

« Last Edit: January 25, 2022, 01:55:45 AM by camp upshur »

rraceme

• View Profile
« Reply #7 on: January 26, 2022, 04:06:31 PM »
My car was built after yours ( 2227 in late April or early May) and my engine build date is 6D20L. It might help to use as a comparison.  Good luck on your friends purchase, Fred
« Last Edit: January 26, 2022, 04:44:05 PM by rraceme »
SFM 6S2227

427hunter

• SAAC Member
  • Caretaker of 1969 gt500 #602 and 1966 gt350 #853
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: January 27, 2022, 03:32:39 AM »
Well, uh, if having the original engine wasn't of significance, then I guess this thread wouldn't exist.
Unfortunately many 'Shelbys' have cloned or facsimile-tribute engines, not the end of the world, but important in terms of value and originality, and your concerns on your friend's behalf are well placed.
Best to keep it fact-specific.
With the limitations you have, you could check the balancer and front cover. These dated items would typically not be serviced, as perhaps a carb or distributor could be over the course of 55 years (although balancers and cylinder heads were created in batches sometimes months away from an engine's assembly).
Your best bet is an analysis of the block stamping. As mentioned, block stampings are very nuanced from the fender stampings.
Any further feel free to PM.

Who said an original engine was not significant ? A number does not prove it is the original engine, only a long and well known history can prove that.  s2ms said the block number looked off, the facts are - non hipo 289's have no vin stamp so anyone can stamp a 289 block with any hipo k code number.
“You keep using that word, I do not think it means what you think it means”

Inigo Montoya

“This life’s hard, man, but it’s harder if you’re stupid”

Jackie Brown

2000 hours of my life stolen by 602 over three years