Author Topic: GO RAMS!!!  (Read 4188 times)

oldcanuck

• SAAC Member
    • View Profile
Re: GO RAMS!!!
« Reply #15 on: February 02, 2022, 08:23:01 AM »

I'm just glad it's 2 new teams in there..... was kinda getting old watching the same old faces in there year after year.
Bob
Knoxvegas, TN

shelbymann1970

• SAAC Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: February 02, 2022, 10:42:56 AM »
At any rate kinda cool to see a team play a super bowl in their new home stadium 8)
A few years ago my son went to a Rams game. A beer cost him more than the ticket. LA being a transient city and by what we saw in their  last reg season game matchup and the playoffs with SF they appear not to have a core base than can come close to selling out games.
Shelby owner since 1984
SAAC member since 1990
1970 GT350 4 speed(owned since 1985).
  MCA gold 2003(not anymore)
1969 Mach1 428SCJ 4 speed R-code (owned since 2013)

98SVT - was 06GT

• SAAC Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: February 02, 2022, 12:53:27 PM »
At any rate kinda cool to see a team play a super bowl in their new home stadium 8)
A few years ago my son went to a Rams game. A beer cost him more than the ticket. LA being a transient city and by what we saw in their  last reg season game matchup and the playoffs with SF they appear not to have a core base than can come close to selling out games.
They have never been popular - less so now that they are back. Games were generally blocked on local TV because they didn't sell enough tickets. Even moving to Anaheim with 1/3 less seats didn't sell out. They made a big deal about them only selling out when they played the San Diego Chargers because the Charger fans would drive 2 hours to see their team play but nobody would drive 20 minutes to see the Rams.
Previous owner 6S843 - GT350H & 68 GT500 Convert #135.
Mine: GT1 Mustang Track Toy, 1998 SVT Cobra, Wife's: 2004 Tbird
Member since 1975 - priceless

Scode67FB

• View Profile
« Reply #18 on: February 03, 2022, 02:27:27 AM »
They have never been popular - less so now that they are back. Games were generally blocked on local TV because they didn't sell enough tickets. Even moving to Anaheim with 1/3 less seats didn't sell out. They made a big deal about them only selling out when they played the San Diego Chargers because the Charger fans would drive 2 hours to see their team play but nobody would drive 20 minutes to see the Rams.

While it's true that the Rams attendance floundered near the end of their first stint in LA, claiming "they have never been popular" is just not true. Here a few facts for you.
1. The LA Rams played hosted the first NFL game to draw over 100,000 fans.
2. The LA Rams played in TWO of the top ten attended NFL games. (Surprisingly, four of the top ten were played in Mexico.)
3. Over the course of the LA Rams 34 years before moving to St Louis, they averaged well above the NFL average in attendance (including the final 4-5 dismal years).

Yeah, a lot of home games weren't televised because "they didn't sell enough tickets." Back then, the NFL rule was that a home game had to be sold out 72 hours ahead of time in order to be televised locally. With the Coliseum seating over 102,000, that wasn't easy and no other team could've done it either.
As far as "making a big deal about only selling out when they played the San Diego Chargers," that had to be either AT San Diego or possibly Anaheim Stadium during those last few years when attendance was down.
If your son bought a beer that "cost more than the ticket," I'm not sure what to say about that. Was it in St Louis? I attended several games in LA and Anaheim between 1972 and 1994. I know, and anyone with half a brain knows, that beers aren't more than the tickets. Maybe he got the ticket free? There's no way the price of a beer was more than the price of a NFL game ticket. Anyone willing to pay that much for a beer must have some kind of drinking problem. I hope your son isn't that guy.

shelbymann1970

• SAAC Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #19 on: February 03, 2022, 07:29:26 AM »
We are unfortunate in Detroit to have the FORD family to own the team for the last 60 years. They have been on a whole level by themselves to associate the name FORD with LOSERS. Like other billionaires they will never sell the team because of the tax hit from owning since the early 60s. ONE PLAYOFF win since 1957! Stafford has more this year with his new team. Fan base is still here even with the losing culture. Gary
Shelby owner since 1984
SAAC member since 1990
1970 GT350 4 speed(owned since 1985).
  MCA gold 2003(not anymore)
1969 Mach1 428SCJ 4 speed R-code (owned since 2013)

98SVT - was 06GT

• SAAC Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #20 on: February 03, 2022, 05:36:57 PM »
Yeah, a lot of home games weren't televised because "they didn't sell enough tickets."....... the Coliseum seating over 102,000, that wasn't easy and no other team could've done it either. ...... beer that "cost more than the ticket," I'm not sure what to say about that.

There was a short period of time when they offered some cheap seats in the nosebleed section of the end zones for under $5. They only tried it a few games trying to fill up the seats and make their TV money.
Yeah they were the first to get 100,000 attendance - that record had to be theirs since they had the only venue to hold that many people. It was also early in their LA career before people lost interest.
Previous owner 6S843 - GT350H & 68 GT500 Convert #135.
Mine: GT1 Mustang Track Toy, 1998 SVT Cobra, Wife's: 2004 Tbird
Member since 1975 - priceless

FL SAAC

• SAAC Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #21 on: February 03, 2022, 07:41:34 PM »
I have the  starting line up for the Rams attached.

The only player that will not be playing that day is Deacon Jones he will be attending  a BLM meeting  .... Bakersfield Large Mansions owners association
Living RENT FREE in your minds...

Home of the Hertz Musketeers 

A person without a sense of humor is like a wagon without springs.  It's jolted by every pebble on the road

I have all UNGOLD cars

I am certainly not a Shelby Expert

Life is short B happy

68countrysedan

• View Profile
« Reply #22 on: February 03, 2022, 07:44:03 PM »
We are unfortunate in Detroit to have the FORD family to own the team for the last 60 years. They have been on a whole level by themselves to associate the name FORD with LOSERS. Like other billionaires they will never sell the team because of the tax hit from owning since the early 60s. ONE PLAYOFF win since 1957! Stafford has more this year with his new team. Fan base is still here even with the losing culture. Gary

Ford family ownership has always made me wonder about their commiment to winning. Supposedly, William Clay Ford was bitter about closing the Continental Divison, even though it wasn't profitable. I suspect cost cutter Robert McNamara had alot to do with that. Then, from what I understand, WCF bought the Lions to have his own personal domain. 

According to sports reports, he was too nice of an owner to fire GM's and head coaches when it was evident they couldn't win.

A couple of years ago I had written William Clay Ford Jr., aka Bill Ford Jr., praising some Ford vehicle. In addition, I mentioned my disappointment that his father never, that I ever saw, addressed the Lion's losing seasons with the press and how it was his determination to give fans a winning team, sort of in the  Jerrry Jones mold. Since then, I have yet to see any family member or front office official come out and state that the losing mentality is over. We will do what ever it takes to achieve a play off contender.

PS: Hope Cincinnati wins.

corbins

• View Profile
« Reply #23 on: February 03, 2022, 07:59:18 PM »
Well... you could all Commanders fans WTF ?   :'(

FL SAAC

• SAAC Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #24 on: February 03, 2022, 11:30:51 PM »
Who dey comandoes, commodores, comodes?

A person without a sense of humor is like a wagon without springs.  It's jolted by every pebble on the road

I have all UNGOLD cars

Life is short B happy

FL SAAC

• SAAC Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #25 on: February 04, 2022, 12:13:51 AM »
This just in :

If you are going to the super bowl " masks are mandatory " in the stadium

I have all UNGOLD cars

Life is short B happy

• 1967 gt500 since 82 NFS!
    • View Profile
« Reply #26 on: February 04, 2022, 12:17:49 AM »

.   I personally prefer The Commodores,much more funky…. 8)

FL SAAC

• SAAC Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #27 on: February 04, 2022, 12:29:39 AM »
Commodores had one heluva winning line up !

.   I personally prefer The Commodores,much more funky…. 8)

I have all UNGOLD cars

Life is short B happy

• 1967 gt500 since 82 NFS!
    • View Profile
« Reply #28 on: February 04, 2022, 10:52:07 AM »
And apparently a helluva costume line up!!!Dig the Evil Kneivelesque jumpsuits!!! ;D

FL SAAC

• SAAC Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #29 on: February 04, 2022, 11:10:13 AM »
Haters gonna hate,  always good to find another fine coutureist in such a diverse group such as this

And apparently a helluva costume line up!!!Dig the Evil Kneivelesque jumpsuits!!! ;D

I have all UNGOLD cars

Life is short B happy