News:

We have implemented a Photo Gallery for hosting images right here on SAACFORUM. Check the How-To in News from HQ

Main Menu

Magnum 500 wheel restoration - Stockton Wheels

Started by 6s1640, January 30, 2022, 10:27:38 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

6s1640

Hi all,

Has anyone had a 1966 GT350H Magnum 500 wheel restored by Stockton Wheels in California, 648 W Fremont St, Stockton, CA 95203.  I have only heard that they might, but have not heard from anyone that has and liked their work.  AFAIK, they might be the only company restoring these wheels.  Last I checked, these company were no longer doing it: Wheel Vintiques, Paradise Wheels, Specialty Wheels in Sandy Oregon and a place in Colorado (that I can't remember the business name.)

Any leads would be helpful.

Thanks

Cory

Bob Gaines

Quote from: 6s1640 on January 30, 2022, 10:27:38 PM
Hi all,

Has anyone had a 1966 GT350H Magnum 500 wheel restored by Stockton Wheels in California, 648 W Fremont St, Stockton, CA 95203.  I have only heard that they might, but have not heard from anyone that has and liked their work.  AFAIK, they might be the only company restoring these wheels.  Last I checked, these company were no longer doing it: Wheel Vintiques, Paradise Wheels, Specialty Wheels in Sandy Oregon and a place in Colorado (that I can't remember the business name.)

Any leads would be helpful.

Thanks

Cory
Sorry no leads. Yes you need to become current with the state of wheel affairs. :DI I hope that Stocken wheels is still in business and doing them but don't think they are. I bet Jeff S. can give a update when he sees this. Paradise wheels hasn't done any restoration of the original rims for at least 40 years. He uses DOT approved repro rims on restored centers but he has never done any of the Shelby magnums repro rim or otherwise to my knowledge.  Specialty was bought out by Wheel Vintques about 10 years ago . The place in Colorado closed up at least 5 years ago and all of his equipment sold for pennies on the dollar I heard.
Bob Gaines,Shelby Enthusiast, Shelby Collector , Shelby Concours judge SAAC,MCA,Mid America Shelby

poboy427

Cory-stay away from Paramount Wheels in Cali. Long long story.

CalChrome in Cali has my original Magnum 500s now. I have seen progress shots but have not received them back yet .I will post review comments when they arrive.Should be due to return ship any day.

Ray
6S554 Family owed since May 15,1974. Confirmed original alum T-10 4spd, MICO,

SPF 0373 Cobra S/C, Shelby alum 488 stroker FE Tunnel Port, TKO

6s1640

Some time ago, I had sent a set of wheels to Shelby Parts and Restoration, who sent to Wheels Vintiques.  It was over two years before I got them back.  Jim had a heck of a time with them, never returning calls and lost most of his wheels.  Crazy.

Thanks for the inputs.  Love to hear more.

Cory

BGlover67

It is the saddest fact that there doesn't seem to be anyone restoring classic rims these days.   Whether be because there isn't enough profit in the endeavor or that the liability risk outweighs a company's comfort level.  Hard to believe because the need is certainly there.
Thanks,
Brian R. Glover
SAAC Carolina's Northern Representative

Bill Collins

Some years ago I had a set of '66 Hertz wheels restored by a company called Pico Wheel. They did an outstanding job and the service was prompt.

This is from their web site- Picowheel.com:
Pico Wheel was established in 1920 and has been repairing and restoring wheels ever since. We originated in downtown LA and moved to north Hollywood in the 80's.

We are family owned and operated for the past 93 years and are now on our 4th generation of wheelmen
Enthusiast since 1965, SAAC charter member since 1975 and Regional Rep since 1985, GT350 Owner since 1971, 289 Cobra owner 1979-2016, Ford GT owner 2006 - 2017

gt350hr

Quote from: Bill Collins on January 31, 2022, 11:04:27 AM
Some years ago I had a set of '66 Hertz wheels restored by a company called Pico Wheel. They did an outstanding job and the service was prompt.

This is from their web site- Picowheel.com:
Pico Wheel was established in 1920 and has been repairing and restoring wheels ever since. We originated in downtown LA and moved to north Hollywood in the 80's.

We are family owned and operated for the past 93 years and are now on our 4th generation of wheelmen

Pico wheel is a GOOD choice. They do an EXCELLENT job . Good honest people that will NOT lose your wheels. All work done IN HOUSE except chroming.
Celebrating 46 years of drag racing 6S477 and no end in sight.

poboy427

My original Hertz Magnum 500 wheels came back from CalChrome  https://calchrome.com/ yesterday via Fedex. Their re-chromed finish was superb. Back space was dead on @ 3 3/8". Their return packaging was over the top.

Their web site is excellent and includes a link for a progress update on your invoice/work order including progress pics. Their communication from start to finish was unlike what is typical these days. Always got same day call or text and next day pics. I was quoted 10-12 weeks turnaround, partially due to their SEMA rush. Given the holidays, covid work force issues etc they still meet their promised return shipping date. John or wife Kelly was who I dealt with. Highly recommend them.
Ray 

Bob Gaines

Quote from: poboy427 on February 14, 2022, 05:27:47 PM
My original Hertz Magnum 500 wheels came back from CalChrome  https://calchrome.com/ yesterday via Fedex. The chrome finish was superb. Back space was dead on @ 3 3/8". Their return packaging was over the top.

Their web site is excellent and includes a link for a progress on your invoice/work order including progress pics. Their communication from start to finish was unlike what is typical these days. Always got same day call or text and next day pics. I was quoted 10-12 weeks turnaround, partially due to their SEMA rush. Given the holidays, covid work force issues etc they still meet their promised return shipping date. John or wife Kelly was who I dealt with. Highly recommend them.
Ray
How much did they charge to do 5 wheels ?
Bob Gaines,Shelby Enthusiast, Shelby Collector , Shelby Concours judge SAAC,MCA,Mid America Shelby

poboy427

Base price is $500 per wheel. Options are on their web site.

They will paint the centers for a fee. I painted my own so I had control over what paint product went on them and I was not sure how good their masking would be. The paint stencils I bought from NPD did not fit so I tossed them and used 1/4" and larger masking tape. Bout an hour for each wheel to paint and mask. I used Eastwood's 2k blk primer and their 2K wheel center semi gloss. Not cheap when you consider the cans are still nearly full when done but only have a 48hr pot life. I wanted a paint that might last a bit longer and not fade off so bad. Time will tell

rcgt350

Did they do a continuous weld on the backside or short individual welds?
What finish on your spoke section.

poboy427

Continuous just like factory. I did my own masking and painting the centers but that option is offered. My wheels came back from CalChrome and looked fabulous.
Their packaging was incredible and communication tops. I was starved for a good experience after dealing with another wheel restorer.  I get the idea that CalChrome may be family owed. John is the guy I dealt with. He clocked all the centers equal to the valve stems and back space was dead on. Looked to be set digitally in a promo video I saw.
-Ray

Bob Gaines

It is sure good to hear a positive story on this subject . There have been too many discouraging ones in recent years.

gt350hr

Does anyone do them without safety beads?  Obviously originals don't have them.
Celebrating 46 years of drag racing 6S477 and no end in sight.