News:

SAAC Member Badges are NOW available. Make your request through saac.memberlodge.com to validate membership.

Main Menu

1966 Wheels

Started by Shawn, February 02, 2022, 03:27:34 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Shawn

If the correct Hertz chrome magnum has been discontinued what's the best option?  Does DIVII then allow for the next best reproduction (regular magnum) without point deductions? 

Bob Gaines

Quote from: Shawn on February 02, 2022, 03:27:34 PM
If the correct Hertz chrome magnum has been discontinued what's the best option?  Does DIVII then allow for the next best reproduction (regular magnum) without point deductions?
There are point deductions if a car has regular magnums with out any providence to justify them. I can sense your frustration but It would not be fair to the guy that goes the extra mile to have the correct part on his car to let another have a pass for not having the correct part. No one makes a 22 F battery for your 66 ether. The repros are 68 style and are group 24. We have had to live with that situation for decades. The availability of repro 66 wheels  has been a sporadic on again off again problem for a number of years . A need in the market is a good incentive for mfg's to make things. Some things are easier to get done then others. What is the story on the Wheel Vintques Hertz wheels? Brant still has unpainted in his catalog .I am not sure if you are aware but the painted wheels are the same wheel in other then for the rim being chrome. 
Bob Gaines,Shelby Enthusiast, Shelby Collector , Shelby Concours judge SAAC,MCA,Mid America Shelby

Shawn

I just got off the phone with both locations and was told this...

Wheel Vintques just told me they do not have or sell the Shelby wheel
VA Mustang does not want to sell their painted version

If truly discontinued for the foreseeable future what could you recommend as the "next best choice"?  10 spoke?  Regular magnum? I want to keep a 14" wheel with Blue Streak Goodyears.  I'll keep looking as I have a few months on my side

NC TRACKRAT

When all else fails for show purposes, go to "Rent-a-Wheel".  Seriously, I know of instances where fellow concours "nuts" have loaned out their correct wheels and tires to those entering a show when the "loaner" isn't showng at the same time with the "Loanee".
5S071, 6S1467

Shawn

10-4 maybe I can find a "rent to own"  :D

Bob Gaines

Quote from: Shawn on February 02, 2022, 04:57:19 PM

I just got off the phone with both locations and was told this...

Wheel Vintques just told me they do not have or sell the Shelby wheel
VA Mustang does not want to sell their painted version

If truly discontinued for the foreseeable future what could you recommend as the "next best choice"?  10 spoke?  Regular magnum? I want to keep a 14" wheel with Blue Streak Goodyears.  I'll keep looking as I have a few months on my side
Sad to hear about the Vintuqes not selling the wheels anymore. Brant said he sold all he could get but it has been a problem getting them the last couple years. Too bad they don't want to sell the painted wheels because it is conceivable that you could have the rims chromed. You will just have to think outside the box to solve this problem . For a hertz car you are kind of stuck on what you can use. A regular 66 GT350 you have options because ten spokes come up for sale relatively often.
Bob Gaines,Shelby Enthusiast, Shelby Collector , Shelby Concours judge SAAC,MCA,Mid America Shelby

Shawn

Bob,

Would 10 spokes be the best option and least point deduction? 

Bob Gaines

Quote from: Shawn on February 02, 2022, 06:50:04 PM
Bob,

Would 10 spokes be the best option and least point deduction?
Not for a Hertz car.They would still be a deduction because Hertz cars did not come with ten spokes or painted wheels.

Shelbybo1

Sure about that??
Back in 2003, I purchased a correct set of four 10 spoke wheels from Paradise Wheels for my  '66 Hertz Car (S/N 1474).
At a subsequent SAAC meet at the California Speedway I entered into the Concourse Drivers Class and was not deducted any points from the judges for the 10 spokes. Maybe I was just lucky that day??

J_Speegle

Quote from: Shelbybo1 on February 08, 2022, 01:22:31 PM
Sure about that??
Back in 2003, I purchased a correct set of four 10 spoke wheels from Paradise Wheels for my  '66 Hertz Car (S/N 1474).
At a subsequent SAAC meet at the California Speedway I entered into the Concourse Drivers Class and was not deducted any points from the judges for the 10 spokes. Maybe I was just lucky that day??

Concourse Drivers Class  Unfamiliar with that class They may have been missed and not sure at that time if the Konis were deducted for either since  it was almost twenty years ago. So would not assume all that applied back then would apply to an even now.
Jeff Speegle- Mustang & Shelby detail collector, ConcoursMustang.com mentor :) and Judge

Bob Gaines

+1 .  No such drivers class in SAAC's concours venue then or now. You may be referring to "popular vote" which is not judged on assemblyline correctness . Regardless the judging is done by volunteers. Although SAAC does it's best to have the most knowledgeable judging staff sometimes less knowledgeable volunteers are pressed into service to take on the responsibility with the same honorable intent. The most knowledable staff can miss things too.  ;)

Shelbybo1

Yep, My car was judged in DIV II at the SAAC-30 event in  Riverside 2005.

Just now looking at the Course judging sheet; I was not penalized for having the authentic 10 spoke wheels on my Hertz Car.

It's hard for me to believe that 3 judges spending 2 complete hours securitizing my car, that they would have over looked the wheels.

Stuff happens though....

poboy427

6S554 Family owed since May 15,1974. Confirmed original alum T-10 4spd, MICO,

SPF 0373 Cobra S/C, Shelby alum 488 stroker FE Tunnel Port, TKO

Shelbybo1

Bob Gaines