News:

SAAC Member Badges are NOW available. Make your request through saac.memberlodge.com to validate membership.

Main Menu

A couple of door glass questions

Started by hurlbird, February 02, 2022, 09:38:00 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

hurlbird

For my 68 door,.. is the brightwork around the edges stainless? What is best way to remove the old and then "glue" a replacement glass into the base?  Heat? Thanks

CharlesTurner

Yes, it is stainless. 

There was no glue used to attach the stainless to the glass, it is called glass setting tape and comes in different thicknesses.  Can be bought off ebay or online in rolls.  Use calipers to measure the thickness of the original to know what size to get.  If I remember right, the tape around the stainless is thinner than the tape at the lower base.
Charles Turner
MCA/SAAC Judge

hurlbird

thanks.. What about securing the glass in the lower frame? Same stuff?

CharlesTurner

Quote from: hurlbird on February 03, 2022, 06:52:13 AM
thanks.. What about securing the glass in the lower frame? Same stuff?

Yep, check 'ammuscle' seller on ebay and search 'glass setting tape'

There are 2 thicknesses to use, the upper channel in the stainless piece is usually about 1/16" and the lower channel is about 5/64".  Verify thickness with calipers after disassembling your pieces.

The 1/16" also works in the vent frame wing window.

Charles Turner
MCA/SAAC Judge

KDunne

Quote from: hurlbird on February 02, 2022, 09:38:00 PM
For my 68 door,.. is the brightwork around the edges stainless? What is best way to remove the old and then "glue" a replacement glass into the base?  Heat? Thanks

Its stainless.  I believe the stainless is set in place with tape.

hurlbird

using ruler i see 1/8 top and bottom, caliper says 13/64 for both top and bottom. I'm simply measuring the setting tape that was used previously..... Im not seeing a difference between the top/bottom. thoughts?

CharlesTurner

Quote from: hurlbird on February 24, 2022, 10:51:16 AM
using ruler i see 1/8 top and bottom, caliper says 13/64 for both top and bottom. I'm simply measuring the setting tape that was used previously..... Im not seeing a difference between the top/bottom. thoughts?

Should be good then... the front vent frame glass has a different thickness.
Charles Turner
MCA/SAAC Judge

hurlbird

got it.. then trim to fit? only comes in1.5" width...

CharlesTurner

Quote from: hurlbird on February 24, 2022, 12:34:34 PM
got it.. then trim to fit? only comes in1.5" width...

I usually fold it to put a bit of a crease in the glass tape and then put it over the glass.  Best to start with the stainless frame, then do the bottom last.  The top stainless part usually requires trimming, but the bottom is a very tight fit at that width.  You'll want to try and keep it centered as best possible... the folding trick will help.  I usually put several layers of tape across the stainless edge and use a dead blow hammer with a block of wood to knock it over the glass.
Charles Turner
MCA/SAAC Judge

hurlbird

i was with you till i read this "I usually put several layers of tape across the stainless edge and use a dead blow hammer with a block of wood to knock it over the glass" can you elaborate please. thanks

CharlesTurner

Quote from: hurlbird on February 24, 2022, 02:48:17 PM
i was with you till i read this "I usually put several layers of tape across the stainless edge and use a dead blow hammer with a block of wood to knock it over the glass" can you elaborate please. thanks

I just meant some masking/cloth tape to protect the stainless on the top side where it will need to be tapped onto the glass...
Charles Turner
MCA/SAAC Judge

KR Convertible

I bought the window setting tape from my local glass shop by the foot.  He had all the required thicknesses and recommended using kerosene as a lube.

hurlbird

thanks for the insight... Makes sense to protect the stainless.