Author Topic: 6S2045 - Mecum Indy 2022  (Read 2685 times)

silverton_ford

• SAAC Member
  • Been dreaming of a Shelby since I was 7.
    • View Profile
6S2045 - Mecum Indy 2022
« on: February 04, 2022, 01:34:19 PM »
6S2045 will be at Mecum Indy May 13-21, 2022

Here is a link and description to the auction.  If anyone is interested in this car send me a PM.  I looked at it this past October and have other photos and notes I could share.  The owner is a super nice guy and really wants to see the car go to an enthusiast.

Link: https://www.mecum.com/lots/SC0522-502543/1966-shelby-gt350-fastback/

Description:

SFM6S2045
Shipped new to Reynolds Motors, Inc. in Syracuse, New York
One owner car
Original 289 CI engine and Hi Riser manifold
Original T10 4-speed transmission
Paxton supercharger installed in 1968 and rebuilt by Paxton in the 1970s
Original ignition coil
Original fuel pump and water pump rebuilt 2021
Original radiator re-cored 2021, retains original cap
Original starter, alternator and voltage regulator
Correct Wimbledon White with Blue striping and Black interior
Magnum 500 wheels with caps
Original windshield wiper motor and reservoir
Original interior and exterior lighting
Original seats and carpeting
Original instruments and radio
Original cylinder heads, exhaust headers and radiator shroud in trunk
Original spare tire
Original sales invoice and receipt
Dyno tested, reading included

Every dyed-in-the-wool automotive enthusiast has his or her own idea of the ultimate dream machine, a car that symbolizes the essence of the automotive experience. For lovers of all things Shelby, the case can be made that this 1966 GT350 coupe, Shelby No. 6S2045, qualifies as the very definition of that ideal. With impressively low mileage, high originality and ownership by just a single individual throughout its life, 6S2045 is certain to turn heads and elicit of slew of eager and earnest bids when it crosses the block May 20 at Dana Mecum’s 35th Original Spring Classic in Indianapolis.

Whoever is ultimately lucky enough to become the fortunate new caretaker of this Shelby will be only the second individual to ever claim ownership of the car, a remarkable fact considering the 56 years that have passed since original owner John P. Zeggert purchased it from Reynolds Motors of Syracuse, New York, in May 1966; but there’s more. Its odometer reveals that Zeggert has driven the car only sparingly, to the tune of just 29,431 original miles.

Then there’s the matter of the Paxton supercharger Zeggert installed in 1968 to boost the Shelby’s output into the 500 HP range, a bold move first made by Paxton pitchman Andy Granatelli, whose supercharged GT350 famously blew past Shelby’s own 289 Cobra in a demonstration run behind Shelby American headquarters at LAX.

By the early 1970s, however, the New York State government disallowed the use of premium fuels, leaving 87-octane gasoline as the sole choice for motorists. The move rendered high-compression, high-performance engines vulnerable to damaging detonation, especially those like the Paxton-supercharged small-block V-8 in Zeggert’s GT350.

To solve the problem presented by low-octane fuel, Zeggert turned to lowering the compression ratio to avoid engine damage. He discovered that the cylinder heads from the 351 Windsor small-block offered more volume in the combustion chambers, especially after polishing and CCing the chambers and installing stainless 1.9-inch intake and 1.6-inch exhaust valves. With compression decreased from approximately 10.3:1 to 9.25:1, the engine was able to produce dyno readings of 491 HP at 6,000 RPM with a B&M Super Street camshaft and racing hydraulic lifters, and all with no trace of detonation.

Zeggert‘s dedication to preserving the GT350’s originality is obviated by the care he took in retaining and cataloging its original componentry. The matching-numbers 289 CI HiPo small-block V-8, T-10 4-speed manual transmission, driveshaft and 9-inch 3.89:1 differential with Detroit Locker are all original factory components, while the clutch was replaced with a Centerforce dual-disc unit in 2010. The car also retains the original Holley 750 CFM 4-barrel carburetor, intake manifold, starter, ignition coil, alternator and voltage regulator. The original cylinder heads, Tri-Y exhaust headers and radiator shroud are included in the trunk along with the original Goodyear Blue Dot spare tire. In 2021, the original radiator was recored while retaining the original cap and “3/1966” date code, the original water pump was rebuilt, and the fuel pump was overhauled by Carter.

The chassis is likewise original, including the Kelsey-Hayes front disc brakes, Ford Galaxie rear drum brakes, front and rear Koni shock absorbers and all chassis bushings. The windshield wiper motor and reservoir, seats and carpeting, all glass, interior and exterior lighting, radio and all instruments—including the Paxton vacuum pressure and fuel pressure gauges installed with the supercharger—are all original to this remarkable Shelby.
An expansive file of documentation accompanies this car, starting with the original Reynolds Motors sales invoice and receipt for payment of $4,264 after discount of $621. Copies of those are part of a display storyboard that also shows a spec sheet listing all the modifications made by Shelby American (along with costs) to complete the car, as well as a copy of the Pre-Delivery Service Sheet and a July 1966 Car Life Magazine article detailing the conception, specifications, production and road performance of the Paxton-supercharged Shelby GT350.

Dynamometer test sheets detail the setup developed for the engine and the resulting performance, which Zeggert described himself in a note that says, in part, “(the tuning) results in a nasty idle at 1,000 RPM, with the Flowmasters and side exhaust providing the touch that all hot rodders enjoy. It has good manners with easy starting … with just a quick stab of the throttle it fires immediately.”

A shining jewel guaranteed to capture the hearts and imaginations of Shelby enthusiasts and those of every other stripe, GT350 No. 6S2045 is—in addition to being a uniquely important part of Shelby history and a prize-winning show piece—a solid and reliable performer with outstanding ride characteristics that have made it a pleasure to own and enjoy, qualities that will endure years into the future in the care of the dedicated new owner who is fortunate enough, and determined enough, to become lucky No. 2.
« Last Edit: March 29, 2022, 01:28:06 PM by silverton_ford »

silverton_ford

• SAAC Member
    • View Profile
Re: 6S2045 - Mecum Indy 2022
« Reply #1 on: May 09, 2022, 06:36:02 PM »

silverton_ford

• SAAC Member
    • View Profile

FL SAAC

• SAAC Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: May 18, 2022, 05:16:53 PM »
Superb,  thanks for posting
Living RENT FREE in your minds...

Home of the Hertz Musketeers 

A person without a sense of humor is like a wagon without springs.  It's jolted by every pebble on the road

I have all UNGOLD cars

I am certainly not a Shelby Expert

Life is short B happy

GT350Lad

• SAAC Member
  • Trent
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: May 18, 2022, 09:05:45 PM »
Great car. Love painted magnums
6S373
6S1276

Coralsnake

• SAAC Member
  • The original Influencer
    • View Profile
    • theCoralsnake.com
« Reply #5 on: May 19, 2022, 08:55:40 AM »
If you are 80 you should reconsider being on a roof

FL SAAC

• SAAC Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: May 19, 2022, 11:13:29 AM »
Studies have shown that Older adulthood is a huge chronological age range. People known as the young old, ages 65 to 80 don't differ that much from those who are middle-aged.

Meanwhile middle aged people have dependents, whether it be their children or older relatives, whom they need to support. Concerns about what would happen if they were to die likely fuel their fear of death or cause anxiety.

Great car and the owner has a fulfilling life, KUDOS  !
Living RENT FREE in your minds...

Home of the Hertz Musketeers 

A person without a sense of humor is like a wagon without springs.  It's jolted by every pebble on the road

I have all UNGOLD cars

I am certainly not a Shelby Expert

Life is short B happy

SCJSTU

• SAAC Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: May 19, 2022, 12:01:27 PM »
That's the Bomb
1969 Shelby GT350 convertible 4 speed/ AC
Built Jan 1969 Red/Black

1967 S-Code 4 spd Black/Parchment
2004 Mustang Mach 1 Azure Blue
1956 Ford F100 Big Window 392 Hemi
1963 Falcon Ranchero
1961 Econoline PU bagged
1961 Falcon 2 door wagon
1970 Challenger R/T vert 4 speed
1970 Chevy Blazer 2WD custom

mark p

• SAAC Member
  • south NJ - Philly 'burbs
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: May 19, 2022, 12:43:36 PM »
note to self - stay off the roof  :o ::)
"I don't know what the world may need, but a V8 engine's a good start for me" (from Teen Angst by the band "Cracker")

66 Tiger / 65 Thunderbird

silverton_ford

• SAAC Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: May 20, 2022, 02:29:22 PM »
SOLD!!! - $396,000 with fees    ;D

sfm5

• SAAC Member
  • Great White North
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: May 20, 2022, 08:16:51 PM »
Wow! Very well sold!
65 GT350

GT350Lad

• SAAC Member
  • Trent
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: May 21, 2022, 12:11:35 AM »
That’s a very strong price for a 66. They are in the rise and this car is an amazing example
6S373
6S1276