News:

SAAC Member Badges are NOW available. Make your request through saac.memberlodge.com to validate membership.

Main Menu

Glass scratch repair techniques/preferences

Started by hurlbird, February 05, 2022, 05:47:04 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

hurlbird

Anyone have a tried and true sanding/polishing process or a kit you bought that you liked? Nothing deep but needs repair. Lots of the web content but no good DIY solutions such as pad types etc. Thanks!!

CSX 4133

hurlbird

might not be enough. I can just barely feel the scratches with my nail. Thinking i need to sand then polish?

CSX 4133

It's always best to start with the least aggressive method first, sanding would be my last resort. If you were to use the MF pads and do the polishing by hand I would do the entire windshield. This will remove any imperfections, imbedded grime, etc from the glass. The next more aggressive method would be a random orbital polishing machine with a wool pad. With a scratch as you described I don't think it will be necessary.

whiteykr

I just used a kit on my windshield, doors and rear glass and am very happy with the results. It removed wiper blade damage,surface marks etc. It made scratches much harder to see and basically polished the glass. Any scratch I could feel with my finger nail it would not take out.It is a slow job and I spent hours on all of the original glass.I used it with an electric drill an kept feeling the glass to make sure it did not get too hot and crack.I believe it cost approx. $25 and here is the info if interested.
www. GlassPolishShop.com.
Tel.    877 8797125
I bought it off amazon.
Brad

hurlbird

in the end i ended up sanding the glass down to the depth of the scratches and then went from there. 320, 800, 1000,1200,1500,2000, and then polish. Used an orbital sander. Took many hours but looks perfect.