Author Topic: 1965 Shelby Mustang restoration  (Read 2326 times)

deathsled

• SAAC Member
    • View Profile
"Low she sits on five spoke wheels
Small block eight so live she feels
There she's parked beside the curb
Engine revving to disturb
She's the princess from his past
Red paint gold stripes damned she's fast"

GT350Lad

• SAAC Member
  • Trent
    • View Profile
Re: 1965 Shelby Mustang restoration
« Reply #1 on: February 06, 2022, 07:37:24 AM »
Thanks for sharing. Decent hit in the right side

Cheers
6S373
6S1276

deathsled

• SAAC Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: February 06, 2022, 10:53:58 AM »
Most welcome.  I think it is an old episode as Tom is deceased.
"Low she sits on five spoke wheels
Small block eight so live she feels
There she's parked beside the curb
Engine revving to disturb
She's the princess from his past
Red paint gold stripes damned she's fast"

sfm5

• SAAC Member
  • Great White North
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: February 06, 2022, 12:08:19 PM »
Not sure when these episodes were filmed, but Tom H., from the Dream Car show, passed away about 10 years ago. What struck me was how quick Peter was to toss out original parts and replace with aftermarket pieces. I always thought a higher end, concours level restoration would put a lot more effort into preserving the original parts the car was born with - or at least searching for NOS replacement parts?

Makes me wonder how many restored "show quality" cars have had major body parts cut out and pieces welded back in, ie: how much of the car is original. Does this mean that cars that have never been taken apart are at a premium?
65 GT350

J_Speegle

• SAAC Member
  • Just here to help :)
    • View Profile
    • ConcoursMustang.com
« Reply #4 on: February 06, 2022, 03:19:55 PM »
Not sure when these episodes were filmed, but Tom H., from the Dream Car show, passed away about 10 years ago. What struck me was how quick Peter was to toss out original parts and replace with aftermarket pieces. I always thought a higher end, concours level restoration would put a lot more effort into preserving the original parts the car was born with - or at least searching for NOS replacement parts?

Being possibly an old video and build may explain some of the details shown in the video. Would remind all to do your homework and just not copy others. As for the use of parts not sure that I would call this a "restoration" given the modifications and choices from stock that were made but people use that term very loosely at times. Recall a number of examples where people commented about my "restored" cars - as for example a chopped top 34  ::)

In this example - likely just want the owner at the time wanted or was left to choose between.
Jeff Speegle- Mustang & Shelby detail collector, ConcoursMustang.com mentor :) and Judge

98SVT - was 06GT

• SAAC Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: February 06, 2022, 03:46:31 PM »
..... how quick Peter was to toss out original parts and replace with aftermarket pieces. I always thought a higher end, concours level restoration would put a lot more effort into preserving the original parts the car was born with - or at least searching for NOS replacement parts?
Not 10+ years ago. It was hard to justify to the customer the $200 cost to restore an original part when a repop was less money and "looked" the same. Today things have progressed to the point that someone will spend 2-3 times as much on an original part than just tossing in a repop.
Previous owner 6S843 - GT350H & 68 GT500 Convert #135.
Mine: GT1 Mustang Track Toy, 1998 SVT Cobra, Wife's: 2004 Tbird
Member since 1975 - priceless

Bob Gaines

• SAAC Member
  • Original Posts:14706
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: February 06, 2022, 11:11:18 PM »
A good video at the time it was made maybe 10 years ago or so. Yes there are more then a few mistakes, misinformation and maybe the wrong impression that you should always add rear discs and other improvements when you can. I think Peter had the best of intentions at the time. I think a better approach would be showing side by side what is assemblyline correct and also what mods you can do so a owner can be informed and decide for them selves which makes the best sense for their given situation. There are a lot of people on this forum and others that are willing to help in a positive way with the learning curve in preserving these cars however that may be interpreted to a given owner. To those few who only want to spout off and complain or bad mouth when someone speaks up to try and help another not make a originality mistake that they may regret later. - take a pill .   
Bob Gaines,Shelby Enthusiast, Shelby Collector , Shelby Concours judge SAAC,MCA,Mid America Shelby

camp upshur

• View Profile
« Reply #7 on: February 07, 2022, 12:26:47 AM »

Agree 100%.
That video is 20 yrs old (2002).
It is now almost 'quaint' that the then owner still considered it a performance car intended for high-performance use.
Legendary/Klutt have always done class work and that is what this video is (circa 2002).
The incredible run-up in 65 value is in some measure due to the ever evolving research, preparation, and *sharing of information* of some of the 'concours crowd' on this forum.
Very generous.
It has become extremely specific, but it really has helped owners, buyers and enthusiasts enjoy these cars at whatever level of specificity they choose. Myself included.
(the cars are also quite cool and rare as well)
« Last Edit: February 07, 2022, 12:32:24 AM by camp upshur »

Wedgeman

• View Profile
« Reply #8 on: February 07, 2022, 01:04:07 AM »
I have those episode segments of " Dream Car Garage " circa 2002 on tape. At the time they were the only show that restored classic Muscle Cars & took you each step of the way. This was also before the Auctions hit big time and the prices exploded... 8)

FL SAAC

• SAAC Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: February 07, 2022, 10:01:41 AM »
Living RENT FREE in your minds...

Home of the Hertz Musketeers 

A person without a sense of humor is like a wagon without springs.  It's jolted by every pebble on the road

I have all UNGOLD cars

I am certainly not a Shelby Expert

Life is short B happy