Author Topic: Hone o drive 9inch 411 to 298  (Read 3397 times)

shelbydoug

• SAAC Member
    • View Profile
Re: Hone o drive 9inch 411 to 298
« Reply #15 on: February 15, 2022, 07:24:50 AM »
   Doug the Cougar two speed was made by Dana Corp. and  was based on a Dana 44 Salisbury style differential. It was a solid axle . The cost proved to be too high and the project was scrapped. I believe two units were supplied to LM Division . An old Car Craft magazine had pictures of the complete unit.

I suppose that is why there are no pictures around? Only two is almost non-existent?
68 GT350 Lives Matter!

gt350hr

• Randy Gillis in real life - 5353 original posts
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: February 15, 2022, 10:09:05 AM »
      Read the last line.
Celebrating 46 years of drag racing 6S477 and no end in sight.

pbf777

• View Profile
« Reply #17 on: February 15, 2022, 11:05:36 AM »
The cost proved to be too high and the project was scrapped.

Randy, I don't disagree at all; but I wonder if durability wasn't perhaps also a factor in its' demise?  I'm familiar with double reduction (even triple!  :o ) differentials in larger trucks, and in some instances when the drivetrain is abused these tend often to be the unhappy fuse, as there just become to many small parts in a cramped assembly. And considering the dimensional area available for this engineering within the Dana 44, not to mention at this point in time it already wasn't considered the strongest unit available and had been sidestepped by most manufactures installations of their greater loading capacities, plus the fact that in the late '60's torque loads and horse power along with the weight (here, mostly presenting resistance in acceleration) was only increasing, ............. I wonder?    :-\ 

Scott.   

shelbydoug

• SAAC Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #18 on: February 15, 2022, 12:49:23 PM »
      Read the last line.

You mean that you don't have that article to scan or an original to take pics of? Oh. I forgot. You don't do pictures.  :)
68 GT350 Lives Matter!

gt350hr

• View Profile
« Reply #19 on: February 15, 2022, 01:02:55 PM »
   Yup no need for pictures when you have a photographic memory. "I" know what it looked like but it's a curse when someone else ( like you in this case)  wants to see it. The cover mentioned the "Streep Scene" too. I might have it in my magazine library still. No time to look for it. Try Propayne ( Phillip) to see if he has . He is all Cougar , all the time LOL

shelbydoug

• SAAC Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #20 on: February 15, 2022, 01:38:20 PM »
   Yup no need for pictures when you have a photographic memory. "I" know what it looked like but it's a curse when someone else ( like you in this case)  wants to see it. The cover mentioned the "Streep Scene" too. I might have it in my magazine library still. No time to look for it. Try Propayne ( Phillip) to see if he has . He is all Cougar , all the time LOL

Phillip has been quite on the subject so I presume he doesn't have anything to show unlike you when you start talking about the 9"s.   ::)
68 GT350 Lives Matter!

gt350hr

• View Profile
« Reply #21 on: February 15, 2022, 05:08:36 PM »
    My wife worked at the local Lincoln Mercury dealer in '69 and I asked her about the Streep Scene Cougar and she said it was at their dealership on display. She CLEARLY remembers they had to push the car onto display because the rear end was broken. While there , they replaced the drum to drum and driveshaft to make the car driveable again. The two speed was sent to Dana not Ford for evaluation.
     Randy

propayne

• View Profile
« Reply #22 on: February 15, 2022, 06:13:44 PM »
I'm flattered I was mentioned!  8)

I've been keeping up with this thread, but when it comes to mechanically related Mercury Cougar info, Royce is your man.

I'm more comfortable in the original marketing/advertising/racing history realm.

The Cougar Eliminator show car/prototype had a Dana-Spicer (Salisbury) two-speed rear end that was referred to as the "Streep" axle. Mercury even launched a "Streep Scene" marketing program for their performance cars in 1969.

The Streep axle never became a full fledged option and the whole Streep Scene marketing campaign didn't make it much past '69.

- Phillip

President, Delmarva Cougar Club - Brand Manager, Cougar Club of America

propayne

• View Profile
« Reply #23 on: February 15, 2022, 06:34:16 PM »
Here are a couple of photos I scanned from my copy of the January 1969 issue of Hot Rod.

I've also seen photos of two different shifter/lever designs, both mounted on the console behind the stock automatic transmission shifter and in front of the storage bin.

- Phillip

President, Delmarva Cougar Club - Brand Manager, Cougar Club of America

shelbydoug

• SAAC Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #24 on: February 15, 2022, 07:37:41 PM »
Pitchas, pitchas, I'z luvz pitchas!  ;D
68 GT350 Lives Matter!

gt350hr

• View Profile
« Reply #25 on: February 16, 2022, 10:21:43 AM »
   Thanks Phillip , I thought it was Car Craft but it was obviously Hot Rod.