News:

We have implemented a Photo Gallery for hosting images right here on SAACFORUM. Check the How-To in News from HQ

Main Menu

Can i pull 4spd tranny without touching the exhaust?

Started by hurlbird, February 13, 2022, 04:16:28 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

hurlbird

Kinda looks like I can leave the exhaust alone and slide back then forward.. anyone confirm? Thanks

trotrof1

hurlbird

short lift only about 2ft and yes i have a tranny jack.

trotrof1

On my car (66), I pulled if off but wasnt fun. You have to get enough height of the car to drop the exhaust in front before it touches the floor while at the same time taking care at the rear axle and valance. You also need to support the engine to control the angle. H pipes make it harder. Very difficult on mine without marring up the underside paintwork.

hurlbird

the answer is yes. Took about 2 hours. did it on my back.....

Bob Gaines

Quote from: hurlbird on February 14, 2022, 01:44:37 PM
the answer is yes. Took about 2 hours. did it on my back.....
You will have much more fun getting it back in and lined up with the throw out bearing that way .
Bob Gaines,Shelby Enthusiast, Shelby Collector , Shelby Concours judge SAAC,MCA,Mid America Shelby

KR Convertible

Good for you!  Now can you get it back in?   ;D  Them cast iron gear boxes get heavier every year.

csxsfm

Studs in the bell housing have helped me with re-entry alignment and weight "management."

hurlbird

s2ms

I'm paranoid. After sliding the tranny onto studs I replace the top studs one at a time with a regular bolt making sure there's no chance it will slide off the studs...
Dave - 6S1757

98SVT - was 06GT

Quote from: KR Convertible on February 14, 2022, 01:49:36 PM
Good for you!  Now can you get it back in?   ;D  Them cast iron gear boxes get heavier every year.
There was a guy in my high school group of friends we all used as our trans jack.
Previous owner 6S843 - GT350H & 68 GT500 Convert #135.
Mine: GT1 Mustang Track Toy, 1998 SVT Cobra, Wife's: 2004 Tbird
Member since 1975 - priceless

shelbydoug

Quote from: s2ms on February 14, 2022, 05:45:01 PM
I'm paranoid. After sliding the tranny onto studs I replace the top studs one at a time with a regular bolt making sure there's no chance it will slide off the studs...

I've used threaded rods for this leaving the trans on the jack. As you tighten up the nuts, it pulls the transmission in.

In one case though, I broke the cast iron hub on the clutch disc because I didn't rotate the output shaft as it was going in, so don't forget that part.

As it turns out, that is one of the battles I had with Gene at Centerforce. He treats warranty claims like it is coming out of his own pocket.

If you can though, take the h pipe off.

I need to learn the procedure for installing the engine AND the transmission together. That one is coming up for me and I keep entertaining the idea of installing that assembly WITH the headers installed?  ::)
68 GT350 Lives Matter!

S7MS427

Quote from: shelbydoug on February 15, 2022, 07:44:53 AM
I've used threaded rods for this leaving the trans on the jack. As you tighten up the nuts, it pulls the transmission in.

+1.  This is a great technique that I've used it in the past and while the transmission doesn't go in with a bang, it does make it possible for one person to easily do the job without strain on the body.  Slow and easy gets it done.  Very important for those of us who aren't as quite as nimble as we once were.
Roy Simkins
http://www.s-techent.com/Shelby.htm
1966 G.T.350H SFM6S817
1967 G.T.500 67400F7A03040