Author Topic: On a day like today Henry Ford June 4, 1896  (Read 488 times)

FL SAAC

• SAAC Member
    • View Profile
On a day like today Henry Ford June 4, 1896
« on: June 04, 2022, 06:31:07 PM »
The world we know would not exist if not for this day in history.

At approximately 4:00 a.m. on June 4, 1896, in the shed behind his home on Bagley Avenue in Detroit, Henry Ford unveiled the "Quadricycle," the first automobile he ever designed or drove.

The Quadricycle had two driving speeds, no reverse, no brakes, rudimentary steering ability and a doorbell button as a horn, and it could reach about 20 miles per hour.

Aside from one breakdown on Washington Boulevard due to a faulty spring, the first drive was a success and Ford was on his way to becoming one of the most formidable success stories in American business history.
Living RENT FREE in your minds...

Home of the Hertz Musketeers 

A person without a sense of humor is like a wagon without springs.  It's jolted by every pebble on the road

I have all UNGOLD cars

I am certainly not a Shelby Expert

Life is short B happy

98SVT - was 06GT

• SAAC Member
    • View Profile
Re: On a day like today Henry Ford June 4, 1896
« Reply #1 on: June 04, 2022, 07:56:48 PM »
Complete with an ICE of his own design and construction. Today the industry is facing the same problems he had in 1914 with his first EV.

Within a year, I hope, we shall begin the manufacture of an electric automobile. I don't like to talk about things which are a year ahead, but I am willing to tell you something of my plans.

The fact is that Mr. Edison and I have been working for some years on an electric automobile which would be cheap and practicable. Cars have been built for experimental purposes, and we are satisfied now that the way is clear to success. The problem so far has been to build a storage battery of light weight which would operate for long distances without recharging. Mr. Edison has been experimenting with such a battery for some time.

https://www.wired.com/2010/06/henry-ford-thomas-edison-ev/

Clara Ford drove a $3,800 1914 Detroit Electric - a Model T was $440. https://www.thehenryford.org/collections-and-research/digital-collections/artifact/209957/#slide=gs-214235
« Last Edit: June 04, 2022, 08:05:42 PM by 98SVT - was 06GT »
Previous owner 6S843 - GT350H & 68 GT500 Convert #135.
Mine: GT1 Mustang Track Toy, 1998 SVT Cobra, Wife's: 2004 Tbird
Member since 1975 - priceless