Author Topic: Today fuel prices  (Read 7553 times)

98SVT - was 06GT

• SAAC Member
    • View Profile
Re: Today fuel prices
« Reply #45 on: February 26, 2022, 03:36:39 PM »
Not to divert this thread, but what fuel did competition Shelby and Cobra races use back in the 1960's? Was high octane race fuel available or was 93 premium the standard?  I know the octane rating formula changed to the (R+M)/2 calculation, so maybe we had different  octane ratings. 8)
I would imagine SA had their own race fuel stock for going to test at Willow since their ability to supply race fuel wasn't always reliable. If it was an "event" there would always be a race fuel truck you could buy gas from.

At Riverside they had a 76 gas station with race fuel in the pits. It's worth going through all the photos to see the 67 GT 350/500? in the parade laps.
https://www.motortrend.com/features/nascar-vintage-photos-riverside-raceway-motortrend-500

The highest rating sold at local stations was 103 at the Standard Oil White pump. There was a 76 station near me that sold race gas up until about 5 years ago when they redid the station and took out the extra pump and tank.
Previous owner 6S843 - GT350H & 68 GT500 Convert #135.
Mine: GT1 Mustang Track Toy, 1998 SVT Cobra, Wife's: 2004 Tbird
Member since 1975 - priceless

Royce Peterson

• View Profile
« Reply #46 on: February 26, 2022, 09:02:35 PM »
When I lived in Long Beach, CA there was a Gulf station near Mustangs Plus on Lakewood that sold race gas (out of a 55 gallon drum)   by the gallon and also had a pump with Super Unleaded 100 octane that was street legal. The leaded race gas was 110 octane, so I usually got that. Very little price difference between the 110 Leaded and the 100 octane unleaded. It was around $5 a gallon for either one around 2000.

I recently bought 5 gallons of 110 octane leaded VP and it was $95.

Not to divert this thread, but what fuel did competition Shelby and Cobra races use back in the 1960's? Was high octane race fuel available or was 93 premium the standard?  I know the octane rating formula changed to the (R+M)/2 calculation, so maybe we had different  octane ratings. 8)
I would imagine SA had their own race fuel stock for going to test at Willow since their ability to supply race fuel wasn't always reliable. If it was an "event" there would always be a race fuel truck you could buy gas from.

At Riverside they had a 76 gas station with race fuel in the pits. It's worth going through all the photos to see the 67 GT 350/500? in the parade laps.
https://www.motortrend.com/features/nascar-vintage-photos-riverside-raceway-motortrend-500

The highest rating sold at local stations was 103 at the Standard Oil White pump. There was a 76 station near me that sold race gas up until about 5 years ago when they redid the station and took out the extra pump and tank.
1968 Cougar XR-7 GT-E 427 Side Oiler C6 3.50 Detroit Locker
1968 1/2 Cougar XR-7 428CJ Ram Air C6 3.91 Traction Lock

Harris Speedster

• View Profile
« Reply #47 on: February 27, 2022, 05:56:35 AM »
Royce,
We were at the September SVRA races at the Glen.
We were shell shocked at the price of the race fuel ourselves.
Did get to see the GT 40 Black # 2 that my friend George Stauffer once owned.
Also did get to see the pre war Alfa that had one of Enzo's first Ferrari engines.
we were racing SVRA under special provision from Tony, which owns the SVRA/ long cool story.
tried to find Curt a few times, but always missed, 530 came through me from George.

Most bad ass car that took top dog awards was an old Dave Allison Bird I believe, that screamed, owner is a SAAC member.
Harris, in ceremony, was being Inducted into the Walk of Fame with his Granite block making our journey two fold. Joins Gurney, Penski, Shelby, Hill, fangio, Colllier, and many other legends.

back to topic, I hope the movement that is currently going on to turn the gas valves back on, and finish the pipelines that is crucial to our country becomes reality.I used to buy from Sunoco when I ran at the drags, and common street racing at Hall Street in St Louis.
I thought it was horrible when gas went to 28 cents a gallon in Belleville Illinois. 1967-1968 and sunoco was around 40 cents a gallon.
Respectfully,
John aka from Utah >>> as Big Jim used to call me.
An Old Dog

Is this the first futuristic exotic in the world?
Size of an ac cobra, but built in 1935 !
https://www.autopuzzles.com/forum/features-stories-and-photos/harris-fwd-speedster-the-story/?PHPSESSID=v4pqtv6hep4ff4rvalrc9qsnj7

NC TRACKRAT

• SAAC Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #48 on: February 27, 2022, 09:28:54 AM »
The U.S. lives on wheels and most of them burn fossil fuel.  This is a temporary (but nevertheless painful) situation.  Anyone who lived through the '74 gas crisis knows that you just have to be patient.  It will get better because the current administration must either change direction or suffer the consequences in November.  No, I'm  not making a political statement...Just a fact.
5S071, 6S1467

Royce Peterson

• View Profile
« Reply #49 on: February 27, 2022, 01:59:44 PM »
The '74 crisis was when gas went from 25 cents a gallon to maybe 45 cents a gallon. It was brief. What we have today is more like the gas crisis of 1976 - 80 when gas went from 50 cents a gallon to $2.00 a gallon. Back then I was starving. I had the choice of buying gas to go to work or buying food. Budgeting didn't help in the face of runaway inflation like then or now.

The U.S. lives on wheels and most of them burn fossil fuel.  This is a temporary (but nevertheless painful) situation.  Anyone who lived through the '74 gas crisis knows that you just have to be patient.  It will get better because the current administration must either change direction or suffer the consequences in November.  No, I'm  not making a political statement...Just a fact.

98SVT - was 06GT

• SAAC Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #50 on: February 27, 2022, 06:41:17 PM »
The '74 crisis was when gas went from 25 cents a gallon to maybe 45 cents a gallon.
The first gas crisis was when Jimmy Carter got the price to $1. It's been creeping up ever since until they decided an energy independent US wasn't fitting their agenda and killed exploration and the pipeline. Which has more than doubled the price (pre war). Soon the Ruskies will shut off natural gas to the Germans and we will step in and supply them. This will make ours double in price (just like gasoline - again) due to a short supply.
I checked race gas today. 55 gallon drum of Sonoco 112 octane is about $10 a gallon. 5 gallon lots are $90. I may go back to aviation 100 octane low lead it's under $5 still around here.

Royce Peterson

• View Profile
« Reply #51 on: February 27, 2022, 07:57:33 PM »
Nixon was president in '74 when the first one happened. In 1979 I was paying $2 a gallon for premium in Dallas, TX. My hourly wages were $5.50. Shortly thereafter leaded premium was illegal to make or sell and I got used to paying the same price for 92 octane unleaded.

The '74 crisis was when gas went from 25 cents a gallon to maybe 45 cents a gallon.
The first gas crisis was when Jimmy Carter got the price to $1. It's been creeping up ever since until they decided an energy independent US wasn't fitting their agenda and killed exploration and the pipeline. Which has more than doubled the price (pre war). Soon the Ruskies will shut off natural gas to the Germans and we will step in and supply them. This will make ours double in price (just like gasoline - again) due to a short supply.
I checked race gas today. 55 gallon drum of Sonoco 112 octane is about $10 a gallon. 5 gallon lots are $90. I may go back to aviation 100 octane low lead it's under $5 still around here.

98SVT - was 06GT

• SAAC Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #52 on: February 27, 2022, 08:37:41 PM »
Nixon was president in '74 when the first one happened. In 1979 I was paying $2 a gallon for premium in Dallas, TX. My hourly wages were $5.50. Shortly thereafter leaded premium was illegal to make or sell and I got used to paying the same price for 92 octane unleaded.

73 was the perfect storm of 1950s policies running head on into OPEC who decided to exercise their clout on the world oil market for political reasons.

Actually it was caused by the Eisenhower policy and an embago by OPEC of those who supported Israel in their 1973 war. OPEC had also tried it during the 1967 war but it fell flat on it's face when some members still wanted the cash. It was a mere hic-up compared to recent events.

A big problem has been the middle east dumping cheap oil on the world market. They were happy to let foreign companies do all the work and just rake in the free money. With all the cheap oil it didn't make sense for companies to drill in the US where it cost $4 a barrel to produce when they could buy on the open market for $3. Ike tried to keep US production up but that didn't work.

In 1973, US production had declined to 16% of global output. Eisenhower imposed quotas on foreign oil that would stay in place between 1959 and 1973.

......committee recommended that the quotas be abolished and replaced with tariffs but Nixon decided to keep the quotas due to vigorous political opposition. Nixon imposed a price ceiling on oil in 1971 as demand for oil was increasing and production was declining, which increased dependence on foreign oil imports as consumption was bolstered by low prices. In 1973, Nixon announced the end of the quota system. Between 1970 and 1973 US imports of crude oil had nearly doubled, reaching 6.2 million barrels per day in 1973. Until 1973, an abundance of oil supply had kept the market price of oil lower than the posted price.

The 1973 oil crisis or first oil crisis began in October 1973 when the members of the Organization of Arab Petroleum Exporting Countries led by Saudi Arabia proclaimed an oil embargo. The embargo was targeted at nations that had supported Israel during the Yom Kippur War. By the end of the embargo in March 1974, the price of oil had risen nearly 300%, from US$3 per barrel ($19/m3) to nearly $12 per barrel ($75/m3) globally

Royce Peterson

• View Profile
« Reply #53 on: February 27, 2022, 10:52:24 PM »
Did not know about the Eisenhower connection. Interesting.

98SVT - was 06GT

• SAAC Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #54 on: March 01, 2022, 10:24:46 PM »
Did not know about the Eisenhower connection. Interesting.
When SHTF you always need to look at previous administrations. A lot of times you'll find BS they enacted that doesn't take effect until just before or just after they leave office.

FL SAAC

• SAAC Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #55 on: March 02, 2022, 05:59:39 PM »
Going through my photo gallery found this picture of a Costco gas price  sign circa November 2020

Unleaded  1.77
Premium. 2.02

Living RENT FREE in your minds...

Home of the Hertz Musketeers 

A person without a sense of humor is like a wagon without springs.  It's jolted by every pebble on the road

I have all UNGOLD cars

I am certainly not a Shelby Expert

Life is short B happy

jk66gt350

• View Profile
« Reply #56 on: March 02, 2022, 07:14:41 PM »
A new high experienced by me today - not a good high.  I'm with the family on a ski trip on the mountains of British Columbia, Canada.  I paid $2.02 Cdn a litre for 91 octane for my daughter's car this morning.  If my math is correct, that adjusted for the # of litres in the US gallon and converted to $US = $6.03 US per US gallon !!   

Harris Speedster

• View Profile
« Reply #57 on: March 03, 2022, 08:18:47 AM »
Does anybody here think that Bidumb will change directions from the left, and ALLOW our crude to flow and be processed?
This is a total wipe out for huge numbers of small businesses and consumers, 60% of undesirables are going down

This is pure insanity.
Respectfully,
John
Is this the first futuristic exotic in the world?
Size of an ac cobra, but built in 1935 !
https://www.autopuzzles.com/forum/features-stories-and-photos/harris-fwd-speedster-the-story/?PHPSESSID=v4pqtv6hep4ff4rvalrc9qsnj7

TOBKOB

• SAAC Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #58 on: March 03, 2022, 08:56:11 AM »
Another question...will Bidumb stop supporting Putin by importing Russian oil to replace U.S. oil that he stopped from being pumped??? ::)  >:(

TOB
1969 GT350 owned since 1970

FL SAAC

• SAAC Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #59 on: March 03, 2022, 09:38:51 AM »
Another question...will Bidumb stop supporting Putin by importing Russian oil to replace U.S. oil that he stopped from being pumped??? ::)  >:(

TOB

Probably NO, this would raise prices at the pump. One has to think of the elections his and others in his party.
Living RENT FREE in your minds...

Home of the Hertz Musketeers 

A person without a sense of humor is like a wagon without springs.  It's jolted by every pebble on the road

I have all UNGOLD cars

I am certainly not a Shelby Expert

Life is short B happy