News:

We have implemented a Photo Gallery for hosting images right here on SAACFORUM. Check the How-To in News from HQ

Main Menu

4 new R Models

Started by 98SVT - was 06GT, February 17, 2022, 03:28:28 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

98SVT - was 06GT

4 more of the continuation R Models went through their shake down at Willow Springs yesterday. Drivers were John Morton, Rick Titus and Vince LaViolette VP of R&D and chief test driver for SA.
Previous owner 6S843 - GT350H & 68 GT500 Convert #135.
Mine: GT1 Mustang Track Toy, 1998 SVT Cobra, Wife's: 2004 Tbird
Member since 1975 - priceless

deathsled

That is an impressive array.  Thanks for posting.
"Low she sits on five spoke wheels
Small block eight so live she feels
There she's parked beside the curb
Engine revving to disturb
She's the princess from his past
Red paint gold stripes damned she's fast"

Bossls163

Has anyone on the forum purchased one of these continuation models?  If yes, can you share any thoughts and opinions?

FL SAAC

Don't want to be a Debbie Downer,  but if it's currently February 18th, 2022 how can these mustangs be a continuation of the original lineage of the 1965 Rs  ?

That original R run ended in 1965 I thought.

Wouldn't the correct term on these mustangs be replicas or clones  ?

Thank you in advance
Living RENT FREE in your minds

All Time Post Count King !

Home of the "Amazing Hertz 3 + 1 Musketeers"

FL SAAC Simply the Best, much Better than ALL the Rest.

I have all UNGOLD cars

I am certainly not a Shelby Expert

Don Johnston

Just like other "continuation" Shelby vehicles, it has to do with "official" licensing from Shelby Licensing.  So if they bring back cans of Shelby "Pit Stop", it is an official continuation even if it smells funny. 8)

FL SAAC

Quote from: Don Johnston on February 18, 2022, 05:20:57 PM
Just like other "continuation" Shelby vehicles, it has to do with "official" licensing from Shelby Licensing.  So if they bring back cans of Shelby "Pit Stop", it is an official continuation even if it smells funny. 8)

Oh OK,  so if you have a certificate dated 2022 saying that where ever they made is really from 1965 that legitimizes this item.

Still don't understand,  no comprende

Shenanigans !

I have all UNGOLD cars

98SVT - was 06GT

These are built by OVC. Original Venice Crew - people who built them at the time - and a couple talented "kids". The idea was for them to build the R Model that was being developed. IRS is an option if you don't want an FIA certified one for vintage racing. Pete Brock did the front apron and rear window he had on the drawing board back then. Jim Murrieta still flares all the wheel wells himself just like he did. Ted Sutton helped out on the first few but his health is failing, Duane Carling developed the IRS following his 1964/5 prints. Yes they are built in Shelby's building in Gardena under license but with a lot of historical hands on the project. And then tested at Willow Springs. The IRS is faster in pro hands but the weekend guy should keep that option $ in his pocket. They start with K code fastbacks and have all the body & paint done in NV (by Pete Brocks) with real paint not the CA water based garbage.

If you are in LA tomorrow drop by Shelby's and take a look. LASAAC is holding their monthly meeting at OVC.

Our next meeting will be this coming Saturday morning, February 19th at 9 AM at OVC Mustangs in Gardena.

PS - the car that is in the shop for restoration that I want is an original 1964 African Safari Rally Comet. 1 of 6 - as rare as a Daytona Coupe.

Side-Oilers

^^ I really like the new Brock front apron. 

I haven't seen one in person, but I'd have to bet that these cars are very nicely done. 

Probably nicer than the originals?  Brett?     
Current:
2006 FGT, Tungsten. Whipple, HRE 20s, Ohlin coil-overs, 3.90 gears. Certified 210.7 mph.

Kirkham Cobra. 482-inch aluminum side-oiler. Tremec 5-spd.

Formerly:
1968 GT500KR #2575 (1982-2022)
1970 Ranchero GT 429
1969 LTD Country Squire 429
1963 T-Bird Sport Roadster
1957 T-Bird E-model

FL SAAC

Truly understand all that historical stuff, in the same building , same guys working on them and so on. But that 57 year disconnect kinda throws me off a bit. 

BIG DISCONNECT for me , I will call them copies, clones, replicas etc.

To me they will never be legit original Shelbys circa 1965 as they are being built today.

Also you mention you want the original 1964 African Safari Rally Comet. 1 of 6

I personally would wait until they start the "continuation series" on that model......

Quote from: 98SVT - was 06GT on February 18, 2022, 07:01:41 PM
These are built by OVC. Original Venice Crew - people who built them at the time - and a couple talented "kids". The idea was for them to build the R Model that was being developed. IRS is an option if you don't want an FIA certified one for vintage racing. Pete Brock did the front apron and rear window he had on the drawing board back then. Jim Murrieta still flares all the wheel wells himself just like he did. Ted Sutton helped out on the first few but his health is failing, Duane Carling developed the IRS following his 1964/5 prints. Yes they are built in Shelby's building in Gardena under license but with a lot of historical hands on the project. And then tested at Willow Springs. The IRS is faster in pro hands but the weekend guy should keep that option $ in his pocket. They start with K code fastbacks and have all the body & paint done in NV (by Pete Brocks) with real paint not the CA water based garbage.

If you are in LA tomorrow drop by Shelby's and take a look. LASAAC is holding their monthly meeting at OVC.

Our next meeting will be this coming Saturday morning, February 19th at 9 AM at OVC Mustangs in Gardena.

PS - the car that is in the shop for restoration that I want is an original 1964 African Safari Rally Comet. 1 of 6 - as rare as a Daytona Coupe.

I have all UNGOLD cars

Tor

Hello
We have one of these replicas her in Norway, it was imported i 2018 i think. I was not impressed by the work of this car compared to the price you have to pay fore it.
One question i have, are these replicas build on a real K chassis ?

Tor

poboy427

Tor

Supposedly the team hunted down and cherry picked the best "discontinued" Ford K code bodies they could find. Yep setting right next to where the 50 Cobra frames were setting. Hard to believe they were overlooked when the frames were "rescued" but instead they were left outside to weather like the old frames did. Just a darn shame and who would have "thunk" it. Yep, the team discontinued (terminated) the original Ford K code bodies they are using to do their continuation R models. Rumor is next they are working on a continuation of the 5R002 FLY by.

Ray
6S554 Family owed since May 15,1974. Confirmed original alum T-10 4spd, MICO,

SPF 0373 Cobra S/C, Shelby alum 488 stroker FE Tunnel Port, TKO

98SVT - was 06GT

Quote from: Tor on February 19, 2022, 02:02:09 PMWe have one of these replicas her in Norway, it was imported i 2018 i think. I was not impressed by the work of this car compared to the price you have to pay fore it.
One question i have, are these replicas build on a real K chassis ?
All the work I've seen on them has been good. RE: price - think of the premium you pay to have a SA tag stuck on your Kirkham.
I know one of the cars had to get repainted - owner was not happy with a surface you could see yourself in and wanted a DAY 1 finish with orange peel and stripe edges you could feel. RE: Norway - That may be the car that got the FIA Historical Technical Passport that requires everything to be done and look as it was in 1965. https://www.fia.com/regulations-0 just the inspection process is expensive and lengthy. With the FIA cert you can race at vintage races in Europe such as Goodwood.
To be approved for a FIA Historic Technical Passport the car is required to be manufactured with the same materials, manufacturing methods (eg. welding or casting and machining techniques) and of course identical to the original in terms of size, shape, design of chassis, suspension, and body.

The original plan was to use only K chassis. But they are rare and they have spent around $60,000 each to buy complete K cars to start with. Now they are offering the buyer an A or C chassis to start with if they want to save some $$.

98SVT - was 06GT

Quote from: poboy427 on February 19, 2022, 02:28:43 PMSupposedly the team hunted down and cherry picked the best "discontinued" Ford K code bodies they could find. Yep setting right next to where the 50 Cobra frames were setting.

No smoke an mirrors about it. When you place your order you spec if you want a 5R09K chassis to start with - of course you must be willing to pay the premium.

http://www.ovcmustangs.com/about-me-shift#bio

Tor

Hello again
The thing I was reacting on was that they had used bolts that had different length and marks on the head etc, the paint looked ok

Tor

69mach351w

Quote from: poboy427 on February 19, 2022, 02:28:43 PM
Tor

Supposedly the team hunted down and cherry picked the best "discontinued" Ford K code bodies they could find. Yep setting right next to where the 50 Cobra frames were setting. Hard to believe they were overlooked when the frames were "rescued" but instead they were left outside to weather like the old frames did. Just a darn shame and who would have "thunk" it. Yep, the team discontinued (terminated) the original Ford K code bodies they are using to do their continuation R models. Rumor is next they are working on a continuation of the 5R002 FLY by.

Ray
Please explain what you mean by Discontinued. Doesn't really make sense how you used it in the sentence. The defintion of Discontinue is "to abandon or terminate, to cease operation". So please clarify.