News:

We have implemented a Photo Gallery for hosting images right here on SAACFORUM. Check the How-To in News from HQ

Main Menu

Hertz factory applied stripe questions

Started by hertz350, February 20, 2022, 12:58:17 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

hertz350

Questions on SAI factory painted stripes:

Did SAI remove the windshield and back glass stainless trim before painting the stripes?

Did SAI remove the bumpers before painting the stripes?

Did SAI remove the wiper arms before painting the stripes?

Are there any historical pictures of the process?
Own SFM6S1624, Black Hertz Automatic built 3/66 now concours trailered restored by Ken Degenstein. Former owner of 1042 a red Hertz automatic and 1643 a black automatic Hertz

Coralsnake

Here's one from the "pictures you haven't seen before" file, courtesy of a guy named Mongo:

They didn't take a gosh darn thing off those cars to paint the stripes! They just taped them up and gave them a quick scuff.

J_Speegle

Do want to first start out with the mentioning that the 65 Lemans stripes were applied slightly different in 65 than 66 typically so if your looking for 65 that is a different discussion when you get down to the finer details

Quote from: hertz350 on February 20, 2022, 12:58:17 PM
Questions on SAI factory painted stripes:

Did SAI remove the windshield and back glass stainless trim before painting the stripes?

No Same with the grill trim and the reason you can find gaps between the trim and start or end of the stripe on original cars

Also same process around the filler neck and gas cap. Left in place just tapped and masked around

Quote from: hertz350 on February 20, 2022, 12:58:17 PMDid SAI remove the bumpers before painting the stripes?

No and one of the reasons the area behind the rear bumper you can find, on unrestored cars, masking mistakes and paint blow outs since the area was difficult to get to.

Quote from: hertz350 on February 20, 2022, 12:58:17 PMDid SAI remove the wiper arms before painting the stripes?

At least on the side where the wiper post is in the center of the stripe. Believe this is the reason that at least part of the post is painted the same color as the stripe on unrestored original examples. Appears to me that the wiper was removed and the splined end where the wiper arm slips over was masked off 

Jeff Speegle- Mustang & Shelby detail collector, ConcoursMustang.com mentor :) and Judge

98SVT - was 06GT

Quick and dirty. No increase in the price to do it right so why expend the labor. I don't know if Hertz got a discount when no stripes were applied. There was a memo that Hertz wanted stripes on all the cars after a certain date. I don't know if someone has done a count on the no stripe Hertz cars. I think most of them were the color cars.
Previous owner 6S843 - GT350H & 68 GT500 Convert #135.
Mine: GT1 Mustang Track Toy, 1998 SVT Cobra, Wife's: 2004 Tbird
Member since 1975 - priceless

Bob Gaines

For more clarity in the previous information Jeff S posted the wiper arm was removed on the passenger side and the splines were the only thing typically masked. Sometimes no masking was done on the splines. It is best to mask just the splines otherwise the build up of paint on them can cause problems installing or taking them off. Regardless at the very least the body of the splined post should be stripe color and is the expectation. 
Bob Gaines,Shelby Enthusiast, Shelby Collector , Shelby Concours judge SAAC,MCA,Mid America Shelby

J_Speegle

To illustrate what I've found and seen a couple of pictures.

For the wipers it appears that the worker took a section of masking tape, adhesive side up and passed the middle of the loop under the post and then pulled the one end up and over then followed with the other. This method allow the worker in some examples to get deeper into the cavity around the post than other methods while still maintaining speed.

Since the filler neck and cap were left in place as mentioned, there are small defects that were typically produced. Unlike the over restored and stripes painted before the parts were attached examples we often see

Hope this helps

Jeff Speegle- Mustang & Shelby detail collector, ConcoursMustang.com mentor :) and Judge

Richstang

Quote from: 98SVT - was 06GT on February 20, 2022, 04:59:42 PM
Quick and dirty. No increase in the price to do it right so why expend the labor. I don't know if Hertz got a discount when no stripes were applied. There was a memo that Hertz wanted stripes on all the cars after a certain date. I don't know if someone has done a count on the no stripe Hertz cars. I think most of them were the color cars.

The 2011 Grid Code pages show all five (5) 1966 Hertz colors came With and Without rally stripes.
I've read the green and red cars did not have them, but the grid code pages don't agree with that.
Approximately 224 cars do no show having stripes.
1967 Shelby Research Group 

www.1967ShelbyResearch.com
www.facebook.com/groups/1967shelbyresearch

1991-1993 SAAC MKI, MKII, & Snake Registrar

hertz350

Thanks everyone for the picture and the help. I am hoping to be able to have the process duplicated but without the defects or blowouts seen on some cars. I will definitely have the gold paint on the passenger wiper side.

My guess is they also masked inside the engine compartment well otherwise we would see gold overspray there.
Own SFM6S1624, Black Hertz Automatic built 3/66 now concours trailered restored by Ken Degenstein. Former owner of 1042 a red Hertz automatic and 1643 a black automatic Hertz

Bob Gaines

Quote from: hertz350 on February 20, 2022, 11:08:56 PM
Thanks everyone for the picture and the help. I am hoping to be able to have the process duplicated but without the defects or blowouts seen on some cars. I will definitely have the gold paint on the passenger wiper side.

My guess is they also masked inside the engine compartment well otherwise we would see gold overspray there.
It depends on your expectations . If you want it to pass in a concours venue for example you would want it like original and there would not be a complete continuation of the stripe paint behind bumpers front and back like so many painters like to do. I would suggest instead to limit the stripe in those area and have a soft edge down in the recesses instead of the blow outs typical in the factory stripe areas instead of a hard taped line. That is if you want it to look somewhat like original yet not have the big blow outs typical of a factory stripe job. They probably did not mask much under the hood because the paint was lacquer which dried quickly and overspray became dust in a matter of seconds as it settled. Base coat clear coat or single stage enamel which most painters use is a completely different story .You would need to mask. Be sure to not let your painert talk you into putting the gold stripes under the clear. There should be a distinct hard edge tape line between the body color and the gold on top or expect deductions in concours. Of course if you do not care about a concours venue expectations then make it as neat and tidy as you want .
Bob Gaines,Shelby Enthusiast, Shelby Collector , Shelby Concours judge SAAC,MCA,Mid America Shelby

hertz350

Bob:: Thank you for the descriptions and advice. I plan on having the painter do it as you described it. And as always thanks to Jeff for the pictures.

Szabo

Maybe a little late for the party but maybe i can help you ...

This two Pics are from the very first production Batch of 1965 GT350 in November 1964
in the Carter Ave Building.

so i dont want to say that later in the process they removed more or less to do it in faster time,
because 66 Production was a lot more than 65 and befor moving to LAX

but you can see clearly that the filler cap was removed

and this car, fresh from the paint booth, has front taped
and both wipers are removed

i have no other pics where a taped Car is showed

Greets from Germany

Stephan

honker

Stephan, welcome back, thanks for your posts !

Here's one I have in my files.

Mike

Szabo

Thanks Mike for the warm welcome ...

intersting Pic from the Front, but i am not sure if this was on SAI Property
any Source for the Pic ???

Greets

Stephan

honker

Stephan, the photo I posted above, of the car from the front,  not sure were I found it, was a long time ago  ::)

Mike