News:

SAAC Member Badges are NOW available. Make your request through saac.memberlodge.com to validate membership.

Main Menu

FoMoCo Metal Sign Find

Started by SHELB66, February 21, 2022, 10:29:18 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

SHELB66

I generally visit the swap meets or flea market on the weekends always looking for something that I don't really need.  I'm usually on the lookout for vintage tube radios and vintage automotive related items.  I love the element of surprise and not knowing just what I'll come across.  Our flea market is pretty small now as we lost our previous venue which was a very large parking lot.  This makes the pickins even slimmer!  I went there yesterday and was on my last run when I noticed several metal signs leaning up against the legs of one of the tables.  They were all, except for one, the $9.99 type of tin sign that's made to look vintage with the typical "rust" around the edges.  But one caught my eye.  It was a FoMoCo sign that was larger than the rest (18" x 13-1/2"), was 2-sided, heavier than most (2 lbs), and had eyelets in the upper 2 holes.  I already have a repo that's the same style and size but is lighter (1lb 10oz), one-sided, has no eyelets, and the method of painting is different.  The one I just purchased has a very nice shine to it.  It was painted red first then the white was done over that.  It does have some scratches and dings but no rust.  I was able to buy it for the price of a cheap tin sign. One can't have too many Ford signs (contrary to what my wife thinks!).  I did some internet research and I'm pretty sure that the one I purchased is an original.  Are there any vintage sign experts here that can provide some input?  Much appreciated!    Craig R.

66 Hertz 6S1564
06 Hertz #446
64 Ranchero V8 4spd
02 Explorer Sport Trac

highland green

not an expert but i think red is ford tractor, still a nice find. brass eyelets are an indication of original. :)

6s1802

Got one of those in my shop, it's from the fifties.

CSX 4133

6S1568

Cool find Craig, thanks for posting the pictures.

SHELB66

Thanks to all who provided their input.  This info along with some further research leads me to believe the sign is an original.  Time to go out and do some further cleaning/polishing!
Thanks again!

Craig R.
66 Hertz 6S1564
06 Hertz #446
64 Ranchero V8 4spd
02 Explorer Sport Trac

goingthing

It's Original. Repos have brass eyelets. Originals have a aluminum eyelet with a unique crimp.

SHELB66

Thanks for the confirmation.  Much appreciated!  It's now hanging from the garage ceiling.

Craig R.
66 Hertz 6S1564
06 Hertz #446
64 Ranchero V8 4spd
02 Explorer Sport Trac