News:

We have implemented a Photo Gallery for hosting images right here on SAACFORUM. Check the How-To in News from HQ

Main Menu

Scary buy

Started by Greg, July 29, 2018, 02:56:40 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Richstang

That is strange, but many of the other details match. The battery hold down is missing too.
Looking at all the Brittany Blue GT500 4spds in the registry with parchment #670 was the only one noted as destroyed.

Here some side by side photos.
1967 Shelby Research Group 

www.1967ShelbyResearch.com
www.facebook.com/groups/1967shelbyresearch

1991-1993 SAAC MKI, MKII, & Snake Registrar

69mach351w

Quote from: Richstang on July 30, 2018, 11:04:01 AM
I believe this is car #0670 that was sold at the GAA classics auction in NC back in Feb 2017.
If so, registry notes it was destroyed in a fire.

https://classiccars.com/listings/view/1066633/1967-shelby-gt500-for-sale-in-greensboro-north-carolina-27407

Curiously it shows the shock tower / export brace in the auction photos.
Maybe it was removed to change the plugs and just poor timing for a photo?
Richstang,
I think it is the one sold at GAA in NC Feb. '17. Destroyed in a fire.

I done some investigating by photo comparisons.

I know the radiator caps look the same, theres thread tape used on the intake temp sender, the sticker on the alternator....

But the proof..... look at the back wall where the photo of engine compartment is in the sunshine, there is greasy-looking stains right behind the air cleaner in 3 different places, where the export brace would bolt to the firewall......ok, now look at the engine compartment in the shade and if you look closely you will see the same stain-like marks on the firewall.

I'd say this is #0670 that was destroyed in a fire.

Richstang

I still think it's the same car too. It's just odd that someone would remove those parts and photograph it for a sales ad.
Now it raises all kinds of questions for potential buyers.

GT350DAVE

It is #670 sold at the GAA Classics auction and was rebuilt after the fire using the drive train and other usable components from the original car. They did have to rebody it however.
Support the SAAC Registry

69mach351w

So, it's #0670, but then again, it's not #0670 ::)

Rebody is another automobile with a tag affixed to it.

But, we all knew this, right ???

Greg

Quote from: GT350DAVE on July 31, 2018, 05:13:19 PM
It is #670 sold at the GAA Classics auction and was rebuilt after the fire using the drive train and other usable components from the original car. They did have to rebody it however.

Just curious, how much did it sell for?
Shelby's and Fords from Day 1

J_Speegle

Quote from: tesgt350 on July 31, 2018, 04:22:19 PM
What about the "Hidden" VIN#.  Isn't there someone in Law Enforcement that can check for it and see if it matches.  ................

You bet if they know where to look. Remember the people that are doing the looking were not born until these cars were 20 years old and they are not familiar with the cars or the nuances. Often the officers are not car guy, just officers working their way up the food chain and they choose got that desk and not homicide or the hooker/john assignment

This if sometimes discovered during a change of ownership especially if coming from outside the state but sort of too late at that point since you already own it at that point.

Add to this the fact that VINs can be moved so the PD may miss that and not consider the car as a whole. Something that should be considered, looked for and such with a good and as complete as possible inspection up front

Not going to go into all the possibilities and things many of us have seen on a public site or even in private. It can be scary out there – for example I ran across three questionable cars all within a two week period all within 60 miles of one another a while back.  One through the PD though they clueless, one through the DMV and one during an inspection where I had to break the news on their new purchase.

Jeff Speegle- Mustang & Shelby detail collector, ConcoursMustang.com mentor :) and Judge

Chad

Guys I live in Greenville SC and I know this car.  A friend of mine almost bought this car before I told him the history on the car.  A guy by the name of Gene Gore that owns Gores corvette World bought the car as a rebody.  He is the one that put it through the GAA auction so if the car is still in Greenville and for sale I would say Gene did not actually sell it at GAA.  I would agree the value is at a really nice Mustang fastback price.  There is ZERO original sheet metal on the car! The only original thing on the car is the Shelby VIN plate and I am not sure if that is original because I have not seen the car in years.  Someone, who will remain nameless because he owns a well known Mustang restoration shop, tried to sell this car to me 20 years ago.  I was able to figure out it was rebody that long ago when I was young and dumb.

Richstang

I have a note that it sold for 93K at GAA. Perhaps the sale did not go through if the buyer found out it's a re-body.

I'm always thankful for all of Dave's efforts when that info is shared on a car up for sale. Hopefully anyone reading this will take note of the comments made and hire Jeff, Bob, or another Shelby expert to be sure their not taken on any Shelby purchase. I'll absolutely be calling them when I'm ready to get one. However, Dave will be my first call. 

Bill

Quote from: Chad on July 31, 2018, 08:54:46 PM
Guys I live in Greenville SC and I know this car.  A friend of mine almost bought this car before I told him the history on the car.  A guy by the name of Gene Gore that owns Gores corvette World bought the car as a rebody.  He is the one that put it through the GAA auction so if the car is still in Greenville and for sale I would say Gene did not actually sell it at GAA.  I would agree the value is at a really nice Mustang fastback price.  There is ZERO original sheet metal on the car! The only original thing on the car is the Shelby VIN plate and I am not sure if that is original because I have not seen the car in years.  Someone, who will remain nameless because he owns a well known Mustang restoration shop, tried to sell this car to me 20 years ago.  I was able to figure out it was rebody that long ago when I was young and dumb.

Interesting as I have never seen the car at a local show, Cars and Coffee, or even just driving around the area. Plenty of original's in the area, both in and out of the public limelight....Then again, perhaps I'm not surprised, as the scrutiny the car would go through if shown in public would be great. Will have to check my archives, as my wife just mentioned that we saw this car parked downtown a year or two ago a block off main street in a public lot during a Saturday morning farmers market. Will post pics if I can find them.

Instead of being part of the problem, be part of a successful solution.
HOW TO IDENTIFY A FORUM TROLL
https://www.saacforum.com/index.php?topic=16401.0

JD

Quote from: Richstang on July 31, 2018, 10:26:01 PM
I have a note that it sold for 93K at GAA. Perhaps the sale did not go through if the buyer found out it's a re-body.

I'm always thankful for all of Dave's efforts when that info is shared on a car up for sale. Hopefully anyone reading this will take note of the comments made and hire Jeff, Bob, or another Shelby expert to be sure their not taken on any Shelby purchase. I'll absolutely be calling them when I'm ready to get one. However, Dave will be my first call. 

I think Dave M knows a good guy in the south to look at cars...
'67 Shelby Headlight Bucket Grommets https://www.saacforum.com/index.php?topic=254.0
'67 Shelby Lower Grille Edge Protective Strip https://www.saacforum.com/index.php?topic=1237.0

It is now a replica,tribute,clone(whatever)with original parts,pure and simple....

Chad

Quote from: 557 on August 01, 2018, 05:44:48 AM
It is now a replica,tribute,clone(whatever)with original parts,pure and simple....

I agree!!!

papa scoops

I thought he said it had the matching numbers on the aprons? phred

Quote from: papa scoops on August 01, 2018, 02:34:50 PM
I thought he said it had the matching numbers on the aprons? phred
Yeah but on the ORIGINAL aprons??Another reason why ,in my opinion,provenance is VERY important.....smoke and mirrors at work I suspect....