Author Topic: 5S558 For Sale  (Read 18366 times)

shelbydoug

• SAAC Member
    • View Profile
Re: 5S558 For Sale
« Reply #15 on: May 16, 2018, 04:58:51 PM »
shouldn't this chassis have white overspray?  not just black?

I would think it should also.
68 GT350 Lives Matter!

silverton_ford

• SAAC Member
  • Been dreaming of a Shelby since I was 7.
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: May 16, 2018, 05:41:02 PM »

The pinch weld was painted last, so I would say the white is under the black.

Bigfoot

• Forum 1.0 posts: 8815
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: May 16, 2018, 05:51:53 PM »
^^
Would think that also
RIP KIWI
RIP KIWI

Bigfoot

• Forum 1.0 posts: 8815
    • View Profile
« Reply #18 on: May 16, 2018, 05:52:39 PM »
Here is the car in the 80's sitting in my neighbors front driveway. 

Since I can not attach a photo here is a link

https://flic.kr/p/2674Qjd

What car?
RIP KIWI
RIP KIWI

doublemyv

• View Profile
« Reply #19 on: May 16, 2018, 08:00:24 PM »
5s444 was also sold by Warren Anderson Ford on Nov. 10 1965, and the original plates are still with the car.  I guess the DMV handles both cars on the same day ?   Original plate is RRW833.  What a coincidence.    I tried to upload the photo of my car with the original plate, but for some reason ( my file size is 449kb ) the upload folder is full.    Mark

98SVT - was 06GT

• SAAC Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #20 on: May 16, 2018, 08:14:05 PM »
Not doubting that the number on the black plate is the same as originally issued but.....the 2008 title shows the car license was 2QHQ822. There are places you can buy repo CA plates that DMV will approve for use.
Previous owner 6S843 - GT350H & 68 GT500 Convert #135.
Mine: GT1 Mustang Track Toy, 1998 SVT Cobra, Wife's: 2004 Tbird
Member since 1975 - priceless

Dkutz

• View Profile
« Reply #21 on: May 16, 2018, 08:36:35 PM »
Not doubting that the number on the black plate is the same as originally issued but.....the 2008 title shows the car license was 2QHQ822. There are places you can buy repo CA plates that DMV will approve for use.

If you look closely at the current picture of the plate, it is an old plate that has been cleaned up. IMHO

Dkutz

• View Profile
« Reply #22 on: May 16, 2018, 08:38:09 PM »
   I tried to upload the photo of my car with the original plate, but for some reason ( my file size is 449kb ) the upload folder is full.    Mark

It seems you now have to load your pictures in your photo gallery, and then link it in your post.  No easy way anymore it seems.

Dkutz

• View Profile
« Reply #23 on: May 16, 2018, 10:10:33 PM »

Here is 66 #033. Pics from Virginia classic mustang.  I know they are not the same year or batch, but they don't look at all the same, so which is correct?

J_Speegle

• SAAC Member
  • Just here to help :)
    • View Profile
    • ConcoursMustang.com
« Reply #24 on: May 16, 2018, 10:39:53 PM »

If there is some under the pinch weld black out it’s not as much as typically applied by the factory given other original examples and factory pictures. Number of other details missing so the body color overspray is only one thing to take notice if you’re looking at the car. As usual, just a general comment, don't use other restorations be your guide to how you car should be done
Jeff Speegle- Mustang & Shelby detail collector, ConcoursMustang.com mentor :) and Judge

Bob Gaines

• SAAC Member
  • Original Posts:14706
    • View Profile
« Reply #25 on: May 16, 2018, 10:56:22 PM »

Here is 66 #033. Pics from Virginia classic mustang.  I know they are not the same year or batch, but they don't look at all the same, so which is correct?

Red oxide underside with body color overspray from when getting full coverage of painting the rockers body color. It gets quite a bit of overspray. White especially shows up.   On top of the body color overspray would be the black overspray from the process of doing the pinch weld blackout . That is what you see on a factory painted car of the year and from the plant being discussed. It varied from car to car sometimes with lessor amounts sometimes compared to the Virginia car but not dramatically IMO. The underside in the reply #14 picture has a lot of incorrect factory details .  I would not suggest copying the details of the picture in reply #14 for many reasons not detailed here.
« Last Edit: May 16, 2018, 11:09:35 PM by Bob Gaines »
Bob Gaines,Shelby Enthusiast, Shelby Collector , Shelby Concours judge SAAC,MCA,Mid America Shelby

98SVT - was 06GT

• SAAC Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #26 on: May 16, 2018, 11:35:48 PM »

If you look closely at the current picture of the plate, it is an old plate that has been cleaned up. IMHO
When you got new plates you were to turn in the old ones to DMV.
Previous owner 6S843 - GT350H & 68 GT500 Convert #135.
Mine: GT1 Mustang Track Toy, 1998 SVT Cobra, Wife's: 2004 Tbird
Member since 1975 - priceless

shelbydoug

• SAAC Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #27 on: May 17, 2018, 07:26:19 AM »
Isn't the amount of black too much because the angle of the gun is from underneath and the factory shot it from the side in the case of the pinch weld and from the top in the case of the engine compartment?

I've seen lots of what I thought were original floor pans on white cars where the floor pans all the way up to the gear shift hole have like a batch mix of white and red oxide that makes them look pink.

That makes the entire underside very messy and unpredictable. The only place on those cars showing really red oxide is up in the tunnel and even there it is almost like a Rustoleum bronze-ish red because of a cloud of white overspray?

What I am saying is these undersides are WAY to CLEAN and detailed as compared to original "you figure out the mess" originals?
68 GT350 Lives Matter!

Brant

• SAAC Member
  • www.VirginiaClassicMustang.com
    • View Profile
    • Virginia Classic Mustang Inc
« Reply #28 on: May 17, 2018, 09:07:16 AM »
As mentioned, there are tons of variations in the over spray amounts, colors, over spray patterns, etc. depending upon when the car was produced, not to mention the plant. Since it's a Shelby forum, I guess we will just stick with San Jose here.

If at all possible, document and photograph the original finish before the car is stripped of that finish. There is absolutely no substitute to duplicating the original finish on the very car that is being restored! On some cars, this isn't possible. On most though, it is possible, but it usually takes a lot of patience and time.

Jeremy spent a tremendous amount of time duplicating the original underside finish on 6S033. The same was done for 6S933, and you can see how different it is from 6S033. Other than the fact that a totally different color was used, you will note that there was not near as much body color overspray.

...and here is a sneak peak at a very early production/first batch '65 GT350. Over 8 hours was spent gently cleaning the underside of a previous owners black out "detail job". The original finish was beautifully preserved underneath and will be duplicated during the restoration. It's black with an absolute ton of body color (white) over spray.

-Brant

www.VirginiaClassicMustang.com

Subscribe to our Blog for the latest updates restoration projects and new parts information for 64 1/2-73 Mustangs!  http://blog.virginiaclassicmustang.com/

Like us on Facebook!  www.Facebook.com/VirginiaClassicMustang

shelbydoug

• SAAC Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #29 on: May 17, 2018, 10:36:10 AM »
That's so ugly, it's got to be original factory?  ::)
68 GT350 Lives Matter!