News:

SAAC Member Badges are NOW available. Make your request through saac.memberlodge.com to validate membership.

Main Menu

5S558 For Sale

Started by silverton_ford, May 15, 2018, 05:40:22 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

gt350cs

From pictures that I have of the car from previous postings, I believe that the plates were first issue for this 5S444. Even if not so, they do appear to be original from 1965 series plates.

From the list of plates that I received from Howard he indicated that 5S444 received CA plates RPW 833 based upon a photo that he had. From early pictures of the car I could see where he could have seen it as RPW, but upon looking closer I was seeing RRW. I could be wrong, but I don't think so.

Once again of others know of first issue plates for any cars, please let me know as the list continues to grow.

Thanks,

Dennis

Dkutz

I wish we could retrieve the info gathered on this car from the OLD forum...  argh

427heaven

My 66 GT 350 # 409 sold in So Cal had TQK 446, still have them... A piece of History they are. :)

gt350cs

Thanks for the information on 6S409. I did not have this one recorded. Much appreciated.

Do you know what dealership it was sold from? I don't have my Directory handy right now.

Dkutz

there was talk on here, and also from the original owners son, that 558 was not an original side exit exhaust car.

J_Speegle

Quote from: shelbydoug on May 17, 2018, 07:26:19 AM
Isn't the amount of black too much because the angle of the gun is from underneath and the factory shot it from the side in the case of the pinch weld and from the top in the case of the engine compartment?

From the gun or mounting spray jets to apply the black

Quote from: shelbydoug on May 17, 2018, 07:26:19 AMI've seen lots of what I thought were original floor pans on white cars where the floor pans all the way up to the gear shift hole have like a batch mix of white and red oxide that makes them look pink.

Depends on the time period the car was produced. Some periods had a pinkish base (epoxy primer) while others a dark batch grey or muddy red oxide sort of base color

This late example was very dark

While this period - just a short time later was much different

Won't, in this thread, get off topic and into 1966 colors and patterns. Sort of got off thread in anyway ;)
Jeff Speegle- Mustang & Shelby detail collector, ConcoursMustang.com mentor :) and Judge

Dkutz

I have a couple pictures I have found of 558 before and during restoration, but they are not mine so I don't want to post them here without permission.

Chad

Hey everyone.  I purchased 558 from the original owner, via Craig Conley, in 2008.  I have a ton of pictures of the car in its original state before I sold it to Bobby.  I can tell you with 100% certainty that the car is NOT originally a side pipe car.  Also the car had both original plates on the car.  One of the plates hangs on my office wall to this day and the other one went with the car when I sold it to Bobby.  If there are two plates on the car now one is probably original and the other one is a repo.

Dkutz

Quote from: Chad on May 17, 2018, 03:45:07 PM
Hey everyone.  I purchased 558 from the original owner, via Craig Conley, in 2008.  I have a ton of pictures of the car in its original state before I sold it to Bobby.  I can tell you with 100% certainty that the car is NOT originally a side pipe car.  Also the car had both original plates on the car.  One of the plates hangs on my office wall to this day and the other one went with the car when I sold it to Bobby.  If there are two plates on the car now one is probably original and the other one is a repo.

Thanks for confirming.  Pictures would be awesome...

EdwardGT350

in jeffs post #35, second picture, the trunk support brace shows a typical red oxide primer that is different from the underbody. i think its possible that the underbody red primer becomes much darker with age, road grime and oils.
1966 GT350 6s1761

J_Speegle

Quote from: EdwardGT350 on May 17, 2018, 04:33:46 PM
in jeffs post #35, second picture, the trunk support brace shows a typical red oxide primer that is different from the underbody. i think its possible that the underbody red primer becomes much darker with age, road grime and oils.

Two issues come into play here. The exterior body, interior and so on was sprayed with a different red oxide (one that promoted attachment of the body color to the base metal) than what was used on the undercarriage - either front the firewall forward or rearward. Both being epoxy based. So they would not have originally been the same color, texture or look.

Also in the time period when that car was built the floor was covered with a batch very dark grey finish from the firewall rearward and a red oxide from firewall forward on the frame rails

Now in that particular picture it appears that the area your referencing was sprayed by the owner or builder more recently (someone did a small spot in the wheel well also over the factory sound deadener) for some reason. Often but not always the bottom of that panel below the rear window gets little or any direct paint or primer application since it required extra effort and would not normally be seen by an owner standing with the trunk opening. But of course the red primer would not be the color we would see there instead some body color overspray mixed with some direct application to the rear edge

Hope this explains what I'm trying to communicate :)
Jeff Speegle- Mustang & Shelby detail collector, ConcoursMustang.com mentor :) and Judge

Brant

Quote from: EdwardGT350 on May 17, 2018, 04:33:46 PM

The underside of the front frame rails is often a different color than the floor pans. Sometimes same for the rear brace. This is missed on most restorations.

Definitely should start a new topic on a post that originally started out about a 65 GT350 for sale. :) :)
-Brant

www.VirginiaClassicMustang.com

Subscribe to our Blog for the latest updates restoration projects and new parts information for 64 1/2-73 Mustangs!  http://blog.virginiaclassicmustang.com/

Like us on Facebook!  www.Facebook.com/VirginiaClassicMustang

5s386

I saved Craig Conley's comments about 558 from the old SAAC forum with some pictures before the resto. Someone before the resto had called it a "barn find". 

Chad

It was a driveway find

Dkutz

Quote from: Chad on May 17, 2018, 09:19:48 PM
It was a driveway find

:).

Again I have a few before pictures I got off Facebook, but they are not mine so I don't want to post.