News:

SAAC Member Badges are NOW available. Make your request through saac.memberlodge.com to validate membership.

Main Menu

WANTED 1967 ORIGINAL TRANSMISSION FOR CAR 0786

Started by Mike James, May 15, 2018, 06:35:13 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Mike James

I recently purchased a 1967 Shelby GT500 and it does not have the correct transmission.  It has a 1968 RUG-S.  I talked to the second owner, Harold Clark, who removed and sold the original transmission in 1970/71.  He told me that he had a salvage yard in Taylor, Arkansas and sold it after he put a C6 in the car.

Taylor, Arkansas is near the Lousiana and Texas borders.  The car was built on 1/24/67.
Even if you have this transmission in your car let me know and I can make it worth your while.

It will be a tricky deal as you don't want the info. Out there that would identify the tranny as original to the car ...nuff said....

Mike James

I'm ok with the info out there because I'm going to pay a finders fee and no problem paying the right money for the right transmission

Bob Gaines

Quote from: Mike James on May 16, 2018, 06:47:11 AM
I'm ok with the info out there because I'm going to pay a finders fee and no problem paying the right money for the right transmission
I believe the previous poster was referring to the Ford VIN information that is stamped on the 67 Shelby transmission .The Ford VIN is kept confidential (on 65-67 Shelby's) while the Shelby number or Shelby VIN is visible on the tag for all to see. Keeping the Ford confidential is in the owners best interest to deter others from trying to phony up a bogus Shelby.With that in mind is the reason the previous poster made the observation that the transaction and search would be tricky. It will be hard to keep the Ford VIN confidential and yet have to openly given it out to many potential sellers who may have Honorable intentions and some that may not. The RUG S with a Ford VIN stamped into the normal location is going to typically mean it is from a Shelby . If you are fortunate enough to get a good lead I would suggest leaving off the last sequential numbers at the end of the Ford vin until you see The Ford VIN stamped first hand. If you can find one with every number except the sequential numbers for your car you will be 98% there yet still protect your Ford VIN number. If you get that far you can confirm the last 4 sequential .  Hope this helps. Best of luck with the search.
Bob Gaines,Shelby Enthusiast, Shelby Collector , Shelby Concours judge SAAC,MCA,Mid America Shelby

Bob Gaines

To add, on the 67 Shelby Transmission stamps it is more typical then not for the full Ford VIN to be stamped however there can be some examples that didn't have all of the characters stamped. Keep that in mind while confirming. The last sequential numbers were the ones most important for the Ford personal to stamp. Best of luck with the search.
Bob Gaines,Shelby Enthusiast, Shelby Collector , Shelby Concours judge SAAC,MCA,Mid America Shelby

shelbydoug

Wow, talking about finding a needle in a haystack? Yikes.

Don't forget to check with some of the larger parts dealers on specialty items like this like Tony Carey on Long Island, and the Perubski brothers at Perogie Enterprises in New Jersey.
68 GT350 Lives Matter!

Mike James

Mike James

Anyone else have any ideas where I should look?

texas swede

Remember the engine character in the Ford Vin must be a Q which often can be difficult to see
in comparison with an O or a 0. No Q no Shelby 67 (with the exception of some prototypes) before
production started. I know of one 67 GT500 trans in Sweden being used in a 69 Mustang.

Texas Swede

67_1183

7R02Q146xxx stamped transmission was in a Shell Valley Cobra kit car a few years back on eBay.  That might be close to what you are looking for?
2nd owner of 67 GT500 #1183 since September 1976

Bob Gaines

You did ask the 67 Shelby registry if he had any intel on the missing trans didn't you? Myself and others have used his help trying to re unite transmission when found with present owners.

Mike James

Where was the Shell Valley Cobra?
Yes I've asked Dave.

67_1183

Quote from: Mike James on June 11, 2018, 03:42:45 PM
Where was the Shell Valley Cobra?

The eBay auction ended 7/2/2013.  Item location was listed as Portland, OR.
2nd owner of 67 GT500 #1183 since September 1976

Mike James