News:

SAAC Member Badges are NOW available. Make your request through saac.memberlodge.com to validate membership.

Main Menu

Amperometer wiring

Started by Jakobs67gt500, March 11, 2022, 12:52:58 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Jakobs67gt500

Hi all Shelby'ers

#1739 soon ready to hit the road.
All working well, except the Amperometer.

Does anybody have a wiring diagram at hand?

Many thanks
Best regards/Jakob

Bob Gaines

Quote from: Jakobs67gt500 on March 11, 2022, 12:52:58 PM
Hi all Shelby'ers

#1739 soon ready to hit the road.
All working well, except the Amperometer.

Does anybody have a wiring diagram at hand?

Many thanks
Best regards/Jakob
Here is a link to a diagram   https://sep.yimg.com/ty/cdn/yhst-13525187779972/ammeter.pdf   .This is the correct way to wire up . If however when you hook up this way your gauge reads plus+ when lights are on or current draw instead of negative - then switch the leads on the gauge . The same will work by switching the wires on the terminal block and solenoid but it will not look like the way Shelby did it.
Bob Gaines,Shelby Enthusiast, Shelby Collector , Shelby Concours judge SAAC,MCA,Mid America Shelby

charlie D

Bob, can you repost the link to the wiring diagram? The one in the old post no longer works.
Thanks
Charlie D

JD

'67 Shelby Headlight Bucket Grommets https://www.saacforum.com/index.php?topic=254.0
'67 Shelby Lower Grille Edge Protective Strip https://www.saacforum.com/index.php?topic=1237.0

charlie D

charlie D

I am still uncertain of the correct wiring for the ammeter. I have a replacement "harness" which consists of the Shelby Red from ammeter + to the starter solenoid battery terminal and the Shelby Black from ammeter- to the ammeter block in the illustration that JD(thanks) sent. There is a third wire, not included when you purchase the harness. It is a black wire with a resistor built in it. I think it goes from the alternator output post to the ammeter block, but I cannot find it in the schematic I have . If that black wire is supposed to reduce the power going to the ammeter, I don't see how it works if that is the correct circuit connection. Am I OK with my assumption on the black resistor wire? Can someone explain how that circuit works? That's a lot of juice and I sure don't want to have it wrong!
Thanks,
Charlie D

Bob Gaines

Quote from: charlie D on March 05, 2024, 04:01:55 PM
I am still uncertain of the correct wiring for the ammeter. I have a replacement "harness" which consists of the Shelby Red from ammeter + to the starter solenoid battery terminal and the Shelby Black from ammeter- to the ammeter block in the illustration that JD(thanks) sent. There is a third wire, not included when you purchase the harness. It is a black wire with a resistor built in it. I think it goes from the alternator output post to the ammeter block, but I cannot find it in the schematic I have . If that black wire is supposed to reduce the power going to the ammeter, I don't see how it works if that is the correct circuit connection. Am I OK with my assumption on the black resistor wire? Can someone explain how that circuit works? That's a lot of juice and I sure don't want to have it wrong!
Thanks,
Charlie D
I am not sure what they sent you but there is no third wire with a resister built in for the factory set up . No black resistor wire. It is as the JD's posted illustration shows . At least from the factory. My first guess is it was sent with the harness by mistake. The factory Shelby Amp gauge takes the full load through the 10 gauge wire harness.
Bob Gaines,Shelby Enthusiast, Shelby Collector , Shelby Concours judge SAAC,MCA,Mid America Shelby

Coralsnake

You probably have a ground wire. Does it have three eyelets on it?

That is not a resistor, simply a plug to cover the spliced wire

Bob Gaines

I am at a loss to understand what Charles D.is seeing but in case this is relevant , most all amp gauge wire harness's reproduced are done like the 68 style with black heat shrink or black and red heat shrink over the terminals. The 67 harness typically used a yellow terminal connector on both leads similar to the one in the picture and it was heat shrunk over the terminal. 

charlie D

Guys, attaching a picture of the mystery wire. It did not come with the replacement ammeter wiring harness. That came as described with only two wrapped wires. When I disassembled the wiring on the alternator, ammeter block and solenoid, I did not take note of where the now mystery wire started or connected. My bad.  As Bob says, it is not relevant since the ammeter takes full power. So that is done and thanks for the reassurance. I still would like to know if anyone can identify the wire. Maybe it got put on in error when there was an alternator replaced?
Charlie D

Bob Gaines

Quote from: charlie D on March 06, 2024, 04:38:19 PM
Guys, attaching a picture of the mystery wire. It did not come with the replacement ammeter wiring harness. That came as described with only two wrapped wires. When I disassembled the wiring on the alternator, ammeter block and solenoid, I did not take note of where the now mystery wire started or connected. My bad.  As Bob says, it is not relevant since the ammeter takes full power. So that is done and thanks for the reassurance. I still would like to know if anyone can identify the wire. Maybe it got put on in error when there was an alternator replaced?
Charlie D
Refer to the schematic. It is identified as the black Ford wire on there. The other end goes to the alternator. There should be a schematic for the alternator in the assemblyline manual and the shop manual.

Lincoln tech

Quote from: charlie D on March 06, 2024, 04:38:19 PM
Charlie D
Looking at the red cover at eyelet it's a alternator wire.