Author Topic: R-Model Aviaid Oil Pan  (Read 2010 times)

SHELBYGT350R

• View Profile
R-Model Aviaid Oil Pan
« on: March 22, 2022, 10:53:01 AM »
I have noticed some r-model Aviaid oil pans have the drain bung and oil temp probe port on the backside of the pan (facing the rear of the car) while other cars had them on the front side (towards the front of the car). Which one is correct? Is there an advantage or cons by having the drain bung and oil temp on the backside vs the front? TIA
« Last Edit: March 22, 2022, 10:59:14 AM by SHELBYGT350R »

csxsfm

• View Profile
Re: R-Model Aviaid Oil Pan
« Reply #1 on: March 22, 2022, 11:24:15 AM »
I bought one from SAI in 1967 and it has the fittings on the rear.  Rear location adds a level of protection from debris from other cars in combat.

gt350hr

• Randy Gillis in real life - 5353 original posts
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: March 22, 2022, 11:50:04 AM »
   +1 rear for plug and temp on "original design" pans. The sender location IS close to the lower brace , especially if it is modified to tie into the lower control arms. I have seen the front temp pans and  don't know how it would clear the sway bar unless the manometer tube is severely bent to clear.
Celebrating 46 years of drag racing 6S477 and no end in sight.

gt350bp

• SAAC Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: March 23, 2022, 07:54:49 AM »
The March 1965 Sports Car Graphic GT 350 Competition test report shows an Aviaid pan with drain and temp sender bung on r.h. side. My car has an original Aviaid pan with the front drain and temp sender bung. Close to the sway bar but no interference or problems with over 16,000 street miles.

Don
gt350bp

shelbydoug

• SAAC Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: March 23, 2022, 10:25:44 AM »
I remember that article as well.

I'd speculate that is one of the Venice R models. Probably one of the first 3? Wasn't 003 the "Press" car at the time?

Probably the specs to Aviaid changed to put them in various locations? I personally would have to think that the first three were all considered "experimental" and I'd expect updates on lots of little things as issues arose and needed to be not necessarily corrected but improved or maybe just relocated for better service access?

I'd think that it would be the Bud Moore Trans Am pan design that would have issues with clearance under the "sway bar" and balancer since it projects a couple of inches in front and the "R" model Aviaid doesn't.

That thing also had a skid pan on it so maybe that's an indication of the necessity of relocating the sender to the back of the pans?
68 GT350 Lives Matter!

Bob Gaines

• SAAC Member
  • Original Posts:14706
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: March 23, 2022, 11:20:02 AM »
The earliest Aviad pans had more capacity because the sump was longer. It was like the Cobra pan.That was a problem because the Mustang lower crossmember was in the way . A modified cross member had to be fabricated and consequently hung down below the pan which was a possible ground clearance issue. Later version had a smaller capacity because the sump stopped at the crossmember so the stock Mustang version could be used.
Bob Gaines,Shelby Enthusiast, Shelby Collector , Shelby Concours judge SAAC,MCA,Mid America Shelby

SHELBYGT350R

• View Profile
« Reply #6 on: March 23, 2022, 11:50:47 AM »
Bob, what would one of these early pans be worth? I  believe I have an early original pan. It is longer than the later pans, and it has the temp probe and drain plug on same side on the backside of the pan. I was about to have a pan made by aviaid so that I could run a crossmember.
« Last Edit: March 23, 2022, 11:52:52 AM by SHELBYGT350R »

gt350bp

• SAAC Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: March 23, 2022, 12:10:53 PM »
Probably 002 with the non-operable side windows. It also had a L.H. lower radiator hose location that required a pipe to work with the R.H water pump!

Don
gt350bp 

SHELBYGT350R

• View Profile
« Reply #8 on: March 23, 2022, 12:25:47 PM »
I picked up the pan on Facebook Marketplace by chance from a person who didn't even know what brand of oil pan it was. I was going to use it on my r-model tribute but when trying to install the engine I realized I wouldn't be able to run my crossmember because the sump was too long. I compared it to a csx cobra oil pan and it wasn't as long as that sump but was longer than the current r-model oil pan sump sold by aviaid.

gt350bp

• SAAC Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: March 23, 2022, 12:30:25 PM »
Does it have the old Van Nuys Aviaid address on the sticker? 

Don
gt350bp

shelbydoug

• SAAC Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: March 23, 2022, 12:30:31 PM »
I think that I remember a GT40 pan and a Daytonna Coupe pan. The engine in the "Coupe" was lowered so it needed a special pan.

I don't think it is the same as the GT40 pan but it is possible that it is.

Go look at the Aviaid web page. They show some of them that they still make.
68 GT350 Lives Matter!

SHELBYGT350R

• View Profile
« Reply #11 on: March 23, 2022, 12:41:41 PM »
The decal looked newer than the pan so it may have been replaced at one point. The plating on the pan was pretty worn. The address on the decal was 7570 Woodman Pl., Van Nuys, Calif.

shelbydoug

• SAAC Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: March 23, 2022, 01:09:51 PM »
The current listing of the "Original" R model Aviaid pan shows front mounts.

https://aviaid.com/shopsite_sc/store/html/ws_oilpns_sbf-ss2.html

They are just cad plated so the gold washes off and the silver blemishes easily.
68 GT350 Lives Matter!

Bob Gaines

• SAAC Member
  • Original Posts:14706
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: March 23, 2022, 10:57:24 PM »
Probably 002 with the non-operable side windows. It also had a L.H. lower radiator hose location that required a pipe to work with the R.H water pump!

Don
gt350bp
The radiator first used in the R model was from a BB Galaxie which necessitates a odd lower hose adapter. Later versions used the same size radiator but from a SB which had the compatible lower orientation.
Bob Gaines,Shelby Enthusiast, Shelby Collector , Shelby Concours judge SAAC,MCA,Mid America Shelby