News:

SAAC Member Badges are NOW available. Make your request through saac.memberlodge.com to validate membership.

Main Menu

Hood Prop Rod

Started by SHELBYGT350R, March 26, 2022, 04:03:45 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

SHELBYGT350R

Does anyone have any photos of a 65 gt350 with a hood prop rod? Also looking for a photo of how they retained the prop rod when it was down (keeping it from bouncing around while driving). Thanks

Bob Gaines

Quote from: SHELBYGT350R on March 26, 2022, 04:03:45 PM
Does anyone have any photos of a 65 gt350 with a hood prop rod? Also looking for a photo of how they retained the prop rod when it was down (keeping it from bouncing around while driving). Thanks
FYI not many 65 GT350's used prop rods compared to ones that did not use them.
Bob Gaines,Shelby Enthusiast, Shelby Collector , Shelby Concours judge SAAC,MCA,Mid America Shelby

R-MODEL1965

I know not many user them, that's why I'm struggling to find photos. But I do know a few did use them.

Rickmustang

If Bo doesn't send pics (he has done extensive research on this), I'll post some pics from mine.
1965 G.T. 350
1967 Fairlane GT - 390 4-speed
1970 Mach 1 - 428CJ 4-speed/AC
1971 Mach 1 - 429CJ auto/AC
2005 Ford GT

Harris Speedster

Two of my early old 65's had prop rod hoods.
I always thought they borrowed it from a old falcon.
They drilled a hole in the radiator support, give or take about 2-3 inches from the top. maybe 10 inches from edge of the side of the rad support.

That end had a washer and a spring on it.
Went through the support, had another washer then a cotter pin
Draped over the top of the hood latch support with slight pressure bend over it.
then;
Battery side as I recall, they drilled a hole, used about a 2 1/2 inch long fine thread bolt, left head on outside,  had a lock nut on that same side, went through rad support then, then inside by where battery should be, depends, a nut with a star type washer, both locked it onto the rad support.

Rod flexed just a bit over lock stand and then you slid it under the bolt end to keep it there.
Should be 95% close, best of my memory
I think # 530 R had the same.
John
Is this the first futuristic exotic in the world?
Size of an ac cobra, but built in 1935 !
https://www.autopuzzles.com/forum/features-stories-and-photos/harris-fwd-speedster-the-story/?PHPSESSID=v4pqtv6hep4ff4rvalrc9qsnj7

SHELBYGT350R

Quote from: Rickmustang on March 26, 2022, 05:25:41 PM
If Bo doesn't send pics (he has done extensive research on this), I'll post some pics from mine.

I'd appreciate some photos when you get time. Thanks.

SHELBYGT350R

Quote from: Harris Speedster on March 26, 2022, 06:27:22 PM
Two of my early old 65's had prop rod hoods.
I always thought they borrowed it from a old falcon.
They drilled a hole in the radiator support, give or take about 2-3 inches from the top. maybe 10 inches from edge of the side of the rad support.

That end had a washer and a spring on it.
Went through the support, had another washer then a cotter pin
Draped over the top of the hood latch support with slight pressure bend over it.
then;
Battery side as I recall, they drilled a hole, used about a 2 1/2 inch long fine thread bolt, left head on outside,  had a lock nut on that same side, went through rad support then, then inside by where battery should be, depends, a nut with a star type washer, both locked it onto the rad support.

Rod flexed just a bit over lock stand and then you slid it under the bolt end to keep it there.
Should be 95% close, best of my memory
I think # 530 R had the same.
John

Thanks for the description, that's helpful. Do you happen to have any pics? Also 5r530 doesn't have a prop rod, I have some hood photos of the car. 5r100 has a prop rod but I can't find any good photos of it showing the prop rod.

texas swede

Here is a factory picture from 1965. My Prop Rod looks exactly like this one. Please note there is a rubber tip at the end
and behind the radiator support is a red tube, washer and a pin holding it.
Texas Swede

Harris Speedster

Texas swede,
That should finish the job for shelbygt350 R
350R, I would doubt there was a schematic or rendering of this mod.
I guess the rubber tube served the same purpose as the small spring and washer?

I might check with some Falcon experts and see what they have>>> send the pic Texas swede gave you,
to them, just a thought.?

As it was rare and I think it was done for convenience in my opinion.
Besides the rubber end, guess my memory is still hanging in.
I could have sworn when I looked at 530 in Colorado at Haines place, there was a prop rod in the boxes?
Respectfully,
John
https://www.autopuzzles.com/forum/features-stories-and-photos/harris-fwd-speedster-the-story/?PHPSESSID=v4pqtv6hep4ff4rvalrc9qsnj7

texas swede

John,
Yes, the red hose piece was there to press against radiator support and there was no spring.
If, I don't recall wrongly, there was another longer prop rod used as well.
Texas Swede

SFM5S000

I have one I'm willing to part with. I think it's a reproduction piece, but for hardware I used a spring, a nylon and stainless washer in addition to the cotter/split pin. To make it correct use a piece of red hose. The overall length is 34 1/2"
$75.00+ UPS or USPS shipping. (SOLD)

Side note, I'll be doing some spring cleaning in a couple weeks.

Cheers,
~Earl J

texas swede

I measured the prop rod on my car and it's 31 inches from rubber tip to the bend straight over with no
additions for the bent parts. My wife asked when I came in from the garage what I had been doing and
I answered, just measured my rod. She looked at me with a very confused face expression.
Texas Swede

honker

Here's 5S114 at Le Mans in period.

SHELBYGT350R

Thanks for the photos and replies everyone. All the info is very helpful.

Harris Speedster

On this same basic topic of hood prop rods;
How many 66 Shelby's are known to have used them ?
How many 67 Shelby's are known to have used them?
Respectfully
John