News:

We have implemented a Photo Gallery for hosting images right here on SAACFORUM. Check the How-To in News from HQ

Main Menu

Researching GT500 smog belt--NO a/c ? ?

Started by 68blk500c, March 27, 2022, 04:57:28 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

68blk500c

I'm familiar with the GT500 smog belt used with a/c, however I am trying to find out what belt was used in the factory application without a/c.  My final version of the Ford MPC doesn't list one.  What about the first version?  Might someone have an original example?
Interested in your knowledge/experience with this application.

Thanks for your input.
Don

Coralsnake

I think the pulleys are the same as a Cobra Jet car. That might be our clue

68blk500c

Since there seems to be broader knowledge of CJ engines, let's go with that, in either Mustang or Shelby.

Coralsnake

Bob Gaines

Bob Gaines,Shelby Enthusiast, Shelby Collector , Shelby Concours judge SAAC,MCA,Mid America Shelby

Coralsnake

Since the CJ predates the 68 intro, I'm thinking its actually from the GT500

Special Ed

68 used the smaller water pump pulley c80e. that used the shorter c5 belt 69 starterd with the bigger scj c8ae water pump pulley that the longer c6oe-b belt and was used after a feb 69 date on late cjs and some 70 scj. - cj cars.  I have seen many wrong length smog belts used on 68-70 cj scj cars and a good way to tell is look at the smog pump adjuster bolt as it should be in the center of the adjustment bracket when the correct belt is installed.

68blk500c

Ok, let me be more forthcoming about my research/question.  I purchased a box of NOS FoMoCo belts several years ago at a swap meet.  In the bunch are two belts of quite different sizes with the SAME engineering number.  Both are C8ZE-8620-C.  Yes, I know what that application is: CJ thermactor with A/C.  The one belt is indeed that, marked with DF, dated 367.

The other belt (identical #) is marked AY, dated 367. and has the same specifications as the C5OE-A non-A/C smog version; it is quite a bit shorter and the width is slightly different.

Why Ford would produce two service belts for similar applications with the same engineering number is a mystery.  I believe the shorter belt is a correct service belt for a non-A/C smog CJ engine.  I was hoping someone else had run into this before, to help validate my theory.

rockhouse66

Just for fun, here is an original KR w/o A/C smog belt.  Looks like C5DE to me but could be C5OE maybe.

68blk500c

I read yours as a D, plus the suffix is C1.  Haven't looked it up, yet.

Coralsnake

Oh I like that.  I do seem to recall an odd prefix -that's probably it.

Special Ed

The 2 smog belt  ford service # is jb 346  short and jb354 long if i remember correctly.

68blk500c

Ed, what do the AY and DF indicate?  Is that the V-shape for the specific sheeve of the pulley?