Author Topic: Shelby Series 1 back again?  (Read 4074 times)

BGlover67

• SAAC Member
  • Formerly "My Shelby Dream"
    • View Profile
Thanks,
Brian R. Glover
SAAC Carolina's Northern Representative

68countrysedan

• View Profile
Re: Shelby Series 1 back again?
« Reply #1 on: May 18, 2018, 12:25:44 PM »
OMG

I didn't like the Series 1 when it was first "produced" and I like this revival even less. Some interesting engineering but it had a lame-o 4.0L Olds Aurora V8 which still sucked when they supercharged it.

As I recall, Brock Yates described it as work in progress.

BGlover67

• SAAC Member
  • Formerly "My Shelby Dream"
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: May 18, 2018, 12:35:35 PM »
We have a member of the Carolina SAAC region who owns one as part of his large Shelby collection.  It’s a pretty cool car, and you certainly won’t run into another one at your local cars and coffee.  What surprised me most about it is how far back the engine is mounted in order to achieve a better 50/50 weight ratio. Half the engine is under your Dash.
Thanks,
Brian R. Glover
SAAC Carolina's Northern Representative

Dkutz

• View Profile
« Reply #3 on: May 18, 2018, 12:41:47 PM »
Not a big fan of the design, then or now.  And I don't understand why they  aren't putting a modern engine in it, like a current Coyote or flat plane or something like that...

Ldouble619

• View Profile
« Reply #4 on: May 18, 2018, 01:10:03 PM »
Not a big fan of the design, then or now.  And I don't understand why they  aren't putting a modern engine in it, like a current Coyote or flat plane or something like that...

Because it's Shelby America. Have they gotten anything right in the last 30 years?
« Last Edit: May 18, 2018, 03:02:14 PM by Ldouble619 »

98SVT - was 06GT

• SAAC Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: May 18, 2018, 06:19:07 PM »
Somebody bought the stuff from CS and is now going to build them as Series 2 with Ford/CS engines. SA will of course "license' the product for a fee. The Series 1 was never DOT certified for street use. These will all probably be kit cars so then can be licensed.

Link to CS release: http://www.shelbyamerican.com/?topic=news&art=21594

I'd rather see the ugly Ford Cobra than the Series 1 or 2
http://www.thedrive.com/sheetmetal/16106/2004-ford-shelby-cobra-concept-purchased-by-engineer-who-helped-developed-it
« Last Edit: May 18, 2018, 06:27:19 PM by 98SVT - was 06GT »
Previous owner 6S843 - GT350H & 68 GT500 Convert #135.
Mine: GT1 Mustang Track Toy, 1998 SVT Cobra, Wife's: 2004 Tbird
Member since 1975 - priceless

Steve McDonald Formally known as Mcdonas

• SAAC Member
  • “Drive it like you stole it”
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: May 18, 2018, 07:31:56 PM »
Bob Wingard shows up at the Annapolis Cars and Coffee on Sunday with a couple of these. Its actually quite nice, his one with a later model Ford engine with a supercharger. Fit and fish is pretty good. Bob is an actual rocket scientist
Owned since 1971, now driven over 245,000 miles, makes me smile every time I drive it and it makes me feel 21 again.😎

• SAAC Member
  • Fox Island, WA
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: May 18, 2018, 07:35:04 PM »
Going with Ford power is an improvement but still ugly.

Can't polish a turd.

Steve McDonald Formally known as Mcdonas

• SAAC Member
  • “Drive it like you stole it”
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: May 18, 2018, 07:41:12 PM »
it's really not too ugly considering when it was designed  :o
Owned since 1971, now driven over 245,000 miles, makes me smile every time I drive it and it makes me feel 21 again.😎

Don Johnston

• SAAC Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: May 18, 2018, 09:31:16 PM »
Actually I like the Series 1 except for the Camaro GM dash and non-Ford power.  They are all street legal and met both EPA and CARB requirements under testing, a very costly requirement that led to much higher MSRP than originally planned.  The test cars for the crash tests were on display at the original Vegas warehouse. If you think that the Series 1 doesn't perform, you haven't seen Patterson take it on road course!

I do enjoy the heck out of my 2011 GT350, which is a total different experience than the 66 GT350.  Some of the other SA products, like the Shelby series and the Shelby Raptor, are a blast to drive. 

Unfortunately, only Shelby licensing is involved with all these new Shelby reproduction cars and not the SA shop, which only takes the orders.  Which kind of makes it like the Ford Shelby GT500 series and the current Ford Shelby GT350, which are great cars and fun to drive and own for the money, but have only Shelby DNA from the licensing office. IMHO

427heaven

• View Profile
« Reply #10 on: May 19, 2018, 05:58:40 PM »
That in my eyes is a Fugly Flop, No one wanted them then,why try again. If were talkin oddities here from the OL SHEL collection I would take a turbo GLH with the 75 percent off sticker price that would run circles around these poor oddities that are neither fast nor beautifull. Oh well we will see how they do second time around, probably go the same way as the PT cruiser,prowler and lets even throw in the mighty v10 school bus sounding Viper.

PR

• View Profile
« Reply #11 on: May 22, 2018, 11:25:20 AM »
The only one I liked had Paris Hilton in it

Chad

• View Profile
« Reply #12 on: May 22, 2018, 03:08:18 PM »
Is this a late April Fools joke?

Bigfoot

• Forum 1.0 posts: 8815
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: May 22, 2018, 06:11:31 PM »
The only one I liked had Paris Hilton in it

Baaaaaaaaaaaaaa
Was she wearing a Von Dutch hat?
RIP KIWI
RIP KIWI

Cobra Ned

• SAAC Registrar
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: May 22, 2018, 06:14:42 PM »
A joke? Of course not! No doubt people are lining up around the block to buy these, especially at the very reasonable prices ( ;D) they will supposedly be asking for these gems.