Author Topic: Trick 289 oil pan, similar to the R-model with welded sheet metal  (Read 3992 times)

6s1640

• View Profile
Hi all,

I was at the Portland Swamp Meet this weekend and I came across this oil pan from a buddy.  He thought I might know the story on it, but I do not.   I expect it is aftermarket.  The welds do look very professional.  It has three baffles inside.   I don't think it is a home made job.   Does anyone have a idea on the manufacture or any other info?

Thanks

Cory

TA Coupe

• View Profile
Re: Trick 289 oil pan, similar to the R-model with welded sheet metal
« Reply #1 on: April 03, 2022, 05:24:38 AM »
Copy of a BOSS 302 Trans AM oil pan.

Roy
If it starts it's streetable.
Overkill is just enough.

JohnSlack

• View Profile
« Reply #2 on: April 03, 2022, 12:51:28 PM »
Roy is correct except it doesn't have the deeper bottom rear for the scavenge section. Would make a good street or track pan. Depending on the depth there was a 9 quart and a 10 quart version.

John

gt350shelb

• View Profile
« Reply #3 on: April 03, 2022, 02:29:14 PM »
looks like a t/a pan  more pictures would help
Some where some one is driving their collector car for the last time but they don't know it . Drive your car every time like it could be the last memory of it .

shelbydoug

• SAAC Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: April 03, 2022, 03:45:28 PM »
I'm not so sure how useful it is on a street car with the extended tank in front? There might be interference issues with that.

The Bud Moore pan is extended in front also but has a skid plate built into it.
68 GT350 Lives Matter!

6s1640

• View Profile
« Reply #5 on: April 03, 2022, 11:25:57 PM »
Hi all,

Thank you for your help.  Your input provided me enough info to find other information.  From a fellow member here, he sent me a copy of a page from the TransAm catalog from back in the day and I found an image of a BOSS 302 TransAm engine, both with a very similar oil pan.  See attached images.  With your input and these two other sources of information, I feel confident to tell my buddy he as a period BOSS 302 TransAm oil pan.
Thanks

Cory

« Last Edit: April 04, 2022, 03:22:38 AM by 6s1640 »

shelbydoug

• SAAC Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: April 04, 2022, 09:37:06 AM »
I'm not sure that anyone can call any of the fabricated pans as original with the exception of the Aviaids on the factory built R models?

Does that really matter though?

What is "original" on an "original Boss 302 Trans Am car"? There was only one from Shelby Racing. There are a bunch more Trans-Am cars then that.
68 GT350 Lives Matter!

98SVT - was 06GT

• SAAC Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: April 04, 2022, 11:42:45 AM »
What is "original" on an "original Boss 302 Trans Am car"? There was only one from Shelby Racing. There are a bunch more Trans-Am cars then that.
That was a very trick car body wise. Titus and his Pontiac was garaged next to Shelby at one of the races. They rented a Mustang Fastback and parked it next to Shelby's space. It was easy to see the mods with a street car nearby. After an hour CS came over and complimented Titus on the joke and begged him to move it before any tech inspectors strolled by.
Previous owner 6S843 - GT350H & 68 GT500 Convert #135.
Mine: GT1 Mustang Track Toy, 1998 SVT Cobra, Wife's: 2004 Tbird
Member since 1975 - priceless

shelbydoug

• SAAC Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: April 04, 2022, 12:33:05 PM »
That was a very trick car body wise. Titus and his Pontiac was garaged next to Shelby at one of the races. They rented a Mustang Fastback and parked it next to Shelby's space. It was easy to see the mods with a street car nearby. After an hour CS came over and complimented Titus on the joke and begged him to move it before any tech inspectors strolled by.

Yup, I can see that.  I wouldn't be shocked to find that the body wouldn't even fit the "templet" like they would check in NASCAR.  I think that car had the engine location "fooled with" too, like the Daytonna Coupes had done to them. ;)

I've seen that with race cars that had long race histories. I seen the discussion of how do I restore the car to original?

The consensus seems to be that you need to pick an "era" to not restore but to return it to?
68 GT350 Lives Matter!

6s1640

• View Profile
« Reply #9 on: April 04, 2022, 01:54:15 PM »
I'm not sure that anyone can call any of the fabricated pans as original with the exception of the Aviaids on the factory built R models?

Hi Shelbydoug,

I did pick my words carefully.  Period and original mean different things.  I believe the pan is a period piece, from back in the day.  I can't say it is original to any TransAm BOSS 302.  It is likely just an  over the counter part (OTC).

Thanks

Cory

JohnSlack

• View Profile
« Reply #10 on: April 04, 2022, 02:34:11 PM »

The original pans were a Bud Moore development. The lowered section in the T/A oil pans allowed for a scavenge section that was on the lower part of the oil pump to pick up the oil from the rear of the pan that got trapped back there during acceleration to be brought forward run through a de-aerating centrifuge and drained back into the feed area of the pan. The pans without the lowered area were typically made by other fabricators. Even though Aviad has offered them as well. Without all of the parts the lowered section only does anything during braking.....and that may allow it to hold oil for too long.
« Last Edit: April 04, 2022, 02:42:59 PM by JohnSlack »

TA Coupe

• View Profile
« Reply #11 on: April 04, 2022, 03:32:22 PM »
Great pics and explanation so it can be understood easily.

Roy
If it starts it's streetable.
Overkill is just enough.

shelbydoug

• SAAC Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: April 04, 2022, 04:17:03 PM »

Hi Shelbydoug,

I did pick my words carefully.  Period and original mean different things.  I believe the pan is a period piece, from back in the day.  I can't say it is original to any TransAm BOSS 302.  It is likely just an  over the counter part (OTC).

Thanks

Cory

Yes agreed. Very good explanation.

The development of the Boss 302 Bud Moore pans is interesting. Now you have me wondering if part of the problem with the 302 Tunnel ports blowing engines was this issue of oil being trapped in the back of the pan?  ???
68 GT350 Lives Matter!

JohnSlack

• View Profile
« Reply #13 on: April 04, 2022, 06:27:37 PM »

Hi Shelbydoug,

Thanks

Cory

Yes agreed. Very good explanation.

The development of the Boss 302 Bud Moore pans is interesting. Now you have me wondering if part of the problem with the 302 Tunnel ports blowing engines was this issue of oil being trapped in the back of the pan?  ???

Yes, as the Two Stage oiling was developed in response to that issue. There were also huge quality control issues with the Ford assembled engines themselves. Notice in the pictures provided there are NO HIGH VOLUME primary oil stage components for the actual T/A pumps. The pumps were standard volume with a higher pressure spring. The upper section of the pump is also aluminum compared to cast iron.

The last picture is of an NOS pump from Holman Moody.

John
« Last Edit: April 04, 2022, 10:27:07 PM by JohnSlack »

Bigfoot

• Forum 1.0 posts: 8815
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: April 05, 2022, 09:12:20 AM »
Cool piece to bump into.
RIP KIWI
RIP KIWI