Author Topic: May 21st Gathering at Hickory Aviation Museum  (Read 6441 times)

FlyNavy

• View Profile
May 21st Gathering at Hickory Aviation Museum
« on: April 11, 2022, 12:12:33 PM »
I look forward to welcoming everyone to the Museum again this year on Saturday May 21, weather permitting.  There is no rain date.  We have added three aircraft since last year, including an FM-2 Wildcat WWII Fighter plane that saw action in the Pacific Theater, and then spent 45 years at the bottom of Lake Michigan before being located, raised and restored.  I also hope to have our F/A-18 jet cockpit open for everyone to sit in and get some photos. 

We had 35 cars last year and that's about the max to get everyone parked near a plane without cars blocking other cars.  I ask people arrive by 9:30am, I will be there earlier.  The museum opens at 10am and the less car movements, the better.  I ask that folks stay until 2pm, but understand that is not possible with other commitments, but please do not move any cars without myself or museum volunteers controlling the movement. 

The Flight Line Cafe at the airport terminal where we are located, has a great lunch menu with good prices, and there are plenty of tables in the terminal, plus three picnic tables outside and of course by your cars or the shade of our planes. 

If anyone is coming on Friday, I-40 Exit 125 has a cluster of hotels with lots of parking:  Hilton Garden Inn, Hampton Inn, Courtyard, Crowne Plaza, Fairfield Inn and Suites, and Best Western.  There is a Carrabas in the parking lot, Outback up the access road and many food choices within a 3-4 minute drive.  For those more adventurous, there is a Red Roof Inn across the highway at the same exit! 

From this exit, we are 7 miles away, I-40W, Hwy 321N, left at 4th light onto 9th Ave, follow for 1.5 miles to the airport on the left.  Trailer parking immediately on left in the large parking lot.  Drive down to far end of parking lot, around the terminal and wait at open gate until a Museum volunteer brings you in.  It's very tight entering, so very slow!  GPS address for Museum is 3101 9th Drive NW, Hickory. 

Please RSVP to this thread or drop me an email at info@hickoryaviationmuseum.com for questions and include a photo of what you're bringing as I will advertise the event on the Museum's social media pages and website.  I want to have Carolina's SAAC folks and their friends locked in, so RSVP as early as possible.  I'm getting requests to attend from non Shelby owners and want to fill the field first with our cars. I will be inviting the Carolinas Cobra and Southeast Sunbeam Tiger folks as well for a great variety. 

6T6SHELBY

• View Profile
Re: May 21st Gathering at Hickory Aviation Museum
« Reply #1 on: April 11, 2022, 02:43:43 PM »
I would like to RSVP for the event. Had a great time last year.

NC TRACKRAT

• SAAC Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: April 12, 2022, 10:26:15 AM »
Good Lord willin', we and 6S1467 will be there!
Regards, Stan & Peg
5S071, 6S1467

Bill

• SAAC Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: April 12, 2022, 12:07:36 PM »
Hoping to have the 70 GT350 convertible there, still at the shop awaiting replacement dash harness items.

Bill
Instead of being part of the problem, be part of a successful solution.
HOW TO IDENTIFY A FORUM TROLL
https://www.saacforum.com/index.php?topic=16401.0

Darrpo

• View Profile
« Reply #4 on: April 12, 2022, 05:13:57 PM »
planning to be there with my Black 67 #3062.

Shelby73

• 828-308-8103
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: April 12, 2022, 09:53:47 PM »
I would like to RSVP Andy Killian 3 people 3 cars Thanks
67 Cobra CSX3251  65 K-code Conv
65 5S073.               65 A-code fastback
66 6S304.                67 390 GTA Conv.
66 Hertz 6S1863.      67 Playboy Coupe
68 KR Conv. 2529.     70 Mach1
07 Shelby Hertz Conv. 69 Z/28
66 MK1A Tiger.            66 Vette coupe
13 GT500                   
69 Boss 429

Farmerjohn

• View Profile
« Reply #6 on: April 16, 2022, 11:36:20 AM »
I am planning to attend and bring my 67 gt350 no.159. Looking forward to seeing Shelby's.  John from SC.

s_eagle

• SAAC Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: April 17, 2022, 09:30:43 AM »
I should be there, 67GT350.

Rob

FlyNavy

• View Profile
« Reply #8 on: April 19, 2022, 10:26:17 AM »
If you're attending, don't forget to send me photos of what you're bringing to info@hickoryaviationmuseum.com.  Thanks! 

Stryker

• View Profile
« Reply #9 on: April 23, 2022, 07:24:15 AM »
I’ll be there,had a great time last year 8)
2007 GT500 2.8 Kenne Bell approx. 700rwhp

FlyNavy

• View Profile
« Reply #10 on: May 01, 2022, 11:29:34 AM »
Three weeks to go, still waiting on rsvp's and photos to info@hickoryaviationmuseum.com so I can use to publicize.  Have one Sunbeam Tiger owner who has rsvp'd and it looks like the Carolina Cobra Club is coming in good numbers.  Hopefully we'll have good weather. 

Darrpo

• View Profile
« Reply #11 on: May 02, 2022, 08:09:20 AM »
I advised you I would be coming but I will be unable to attend.

FlyNavy

• View Profile
« Reply #12 on: May 15, 2022, 11:22:16 AM »
One week to go, and the preliminary forecast is hot, hot hot!  Calling for low to mid 90s and sunny, so plan accordingly with sunscreen, water, etc.  Any questions, just ask. 

BGlover67

• Formerly "My Shelby Dream"
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: May 16, 2022, 09:12:59 PM »
One week to go, and the preliminary forecast is hot, hot hot!  Calling for low to mid 90s and sunny, so plan accordingly with sunscreen, water, etc.  Any questions, just ask.

So far, I've had quite a few folks RSVP that they will be coming, and they are bringing some awesome Shelby masterpieces.  I can't wait to see all of you again., I'm really looking forward to it.
Thanks,
Brian R. Glover
SAAC Carolina's Northern Representative

BGlover67

• Formerly "My Shelby Dream"
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: May 22, 2022, 10:26:45 AM »
What an amazing show!  Many thanks to Bill Baker and the rest of the staff at the Museum for so cordially hosting our event.  We had a few less cars this year due to members having other commitments, health issues and other unforeseeable events in their lives, but I can assure that a good time was had by all.  The spectators who did show up to see the marvelous planes and cars were treated to quite a spectacle. 

I will be uploading my pics (40+), but here are a couple teasers.  Was there ever a better backdrop to display Shelbys and Mustangs than this?

Thanks,
Brian R. Glover
SAAC Carolina's Northern Representative