Author Topic: Rare Vintage FORD porcelain/neon sign  (Read 2675 times)

kansascarguy

• View Profile
Rare Vintage FORD porcelain/neon sign
« on: May 20, 2018, 12:48:23 AM »
Next week on Thursday, May24th, my thirty-eight year collection of prized porcelain gas, oil, and auto dealership signs will be auctioned off at Morphy Auctions in Denver, PA. Of the fifty or so lots of mine included in the auction, the hit of the show is my 3'x6' porcelain/neon FORD sign. Morphy has given it the highest pre-bid estimate of all 600+ lots in the entire auction. And for good reason. It may be the rarest FORD sign of this type in existence. All FORD signs feature a cobalt blue background, white FORD script, and a white oval boundary ring. The oval boundary ring on my sign is not white - it's teal in color. This is the only known time Ford Motor Company ever allowed ANYBODY to alter their logo. The sign is legit and bears the maker's mark of "Federal Brilliant Sign Co. St Louis, Mo.". Federal Brilliant was owned by Federal Electric Sign Company in Chicago - the company that raced to Paris in 1926 to secure the foreign patent rights from the French inventor to make neon signs in America. We have determined the sign dates back to 1929-1933. The sign also rates Morphy's highest grade (9.5+) - it's A-1 mint condition - no rust, chips, scars and has never taken a hit by an errant BB or pellet. It includes the sheet metal can behind the porcelain face where the transformer is housed, aged brush painted surface patina, and a stamped embossed metal emblem affixed there by the local St. Louis labor union. I bought the sign right off the dealership premises in 1981 and have a published photo of the sign hanging in place circa 1966 (you can tell by the new cars sitting in the new car lot). A jewel like this would really set off your Shelby man cave. It sure did for mine for thirty some years. If interested, go to morphyauctions.com and check out their May 24th Petroliana and Automobilia auction. Hit the "pre-bid" link and go to Lot #161. But to be sure, this sign is going to go HIGH. Morphy expects a floor fight over it. I'm praying for that big time.
Chris

Bigfoot

• Forum 1.0 posts: 8815
    • View Profile
Re: Rare Vintage FORD porcelain/neon sign
« Reply #1 on: May 20, 2018, 08:59:39 AM »
Interesting
RIP KIWI
RIP KIWI

Chris Thauberger

• Gold is money. Everything else is credit.
    • View Profile
    • And how many words have I got to say? And how many times will it be this way? With your arms around the future And your back up against the past You're already falling It's calling you on to face the music And the song that is coming through You
« Reply #2 on: May 20, 2018, 10:08:42 AM »
A picture is worth a thousand words...
Life is 1% what happen to you and 99% how you react to it.

Video: Gold Concours GT500
Article: Pursuit of Gold

JD

• SAAC Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: May 20, 2018, 10:28:38 AM »
single sided or double sided?
'67 Shelby Headlight Bucket Grommets https://www.saacforum.com/index.php?topic=254.0
'67 Shelby Lower Grille Edge Protective Strip https://www.saacforum.com/index.php?topic=1237.0

• SAAC Member
  • Fox Island, WA
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: May 20, 2018, 12:32:13 PM »
They didn't post your picture of it at the dealership.

Does it work?

kansascarguy

• View Profile
« Reply #6 on: May 20, 2018, 02:21:15 PM »
Yes it works. The "Ford" script is clear glass neon (burns red) and the oval is clear glass argon (burns blue). The only "neon" colors available initially were red and blue. It wasn't until 1933 that some German scientist discovered how to make different colors using different fluorescent coatings. That's how we determined the age of the sign to be somewhere from 1929 to 1933. Obviously Ford would jump on white "neon" for their signs - it just wasn't possible until 1933.
Chris

Bigfoot

• Forum 1.0 posts: 8815
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: May 20, 2018, 02:41:25 PM »
Some beautiful signs in that auction.
I’d love the Cadillac one.....
Hate the idea of the shipping and fees etc.

I bought a stunning Greyhound sign from Morphy at a show about 4 years ago where he was set up with a few pieces.
RIP KIWI
RIP KIWI

kansascarguy

• View Profile
« Reply #8 on: May 20, 2018, 02:44:20 PM »
Getting questioned about why I'm selling - or why now. Go to "Concours Mustang Forum" to the "Lounge" section and click on the following post "Is the Vintage Mustang Hobby in Decline?". I replied to this two-month old thread and make it clear why I'm liquidating. Only hope I don't regret this action down the line.
Chris

• SAAC Member
  • Fox Island, WA
    • View Profile

J_Speegle

• SAAC Member
  • Just here to help :)
    • View Profile
    • ConcoursMustang.com
« Reply #10 on: May 20, 2018, 10:13:58 PM »
http://www.concoursmustang.com/forum/index.php?topic=17819.0

Not sure if you guys are aware but the Lounge on that site isn't viewable by non-member so aiming others to a thread there isn't goign to be very helpful. Just thought I would mention it :)
Jeff Speegle- Mustang & Shelby detail collector, ConcoursMustang.com mentor :) and Judge