Author Topic: SAAC-47 Track time requirements IMS?  (Read 2025 times)

AvonIndy

• View Profile
SAAC-47 Track time requirements IMS?
« on: April 13, 2022, 08:58:59 AM »
Looking for some insight on safety requirements for the track time as part of SAAC-47? Helmet? HANS? Belts? Insurance? etc. Coordinate through motorsports.reg? Any help would be appreciated. Thank you in advance. R/Tom

TA Coupe

• View Profile
Re: SAAC-47 Track time requirements IMS?
« Reply #1 on: April 13, 2022, 10:14:51 PM »
It depends on what group you are going to run in. Generally the faster the group the more the safety requirements are.

Roy
If it starts it's streetable.
Overkill is just enough.

Cobrask8

• View Profile
« Reply #2 on: April 14, 2022, 07:10:05 AM »
When I run track events, there are tech sheets that are sent. There should be one on the event site - http://saac47.com/files/tech-1.pdf . PM me, and I can send others that I have used, and the one I use for the Shelby track day I run at Pocono. Mostly standard stuff, Helmets and belts are the two critical items.

Edit - I have attached the Tech Sheet I use at the Pocono event. It is more detailed than SAAC's, just added it as a comparison and reference. I will be updating the seatbelts section for the 2022 event on June 2, 2022.

Helmets - NO MA, use SA. 2015 or newer. Not sure on full face or open faced at IMS.

Basically, if you have a 5 or 6 point harness and no air bags, HANS is the rule. Factory airbags, use factory belts. If you put in harnesses, but have factory belts and air bags in the car, the preference is to use the factory systems. Classic cars use the factory belts.

Refer to NASA, SCCA, or other racing organizations for proper belts and harness mounting rules.

If you are running a race car, refer to your group's rules for safety equipment.

SAAC's tech follows most of the current standards. I have worked tech at most conventions for the last 25 years, plus SCCA, and other events. Ask questions, we can all try to answer and help.

Remember, bottom line is that it is your life you are protecting. Be safe, equip properly. Nothing sucks more than to be rejected at tech for skimping.

Avon - what kind of car are you bringing? If it is the 500 in your avitar, leave the safety equipment factory stock. If you want to use a HANS, get a hybrid to use with factory 3-point belts.

Dan
« Last Edit: April 14, 2022, 07:58:50 AM by Cobrask8 »

Cobrask8

• View Profile
« Reply #3 on: April 14, 2022, 08:22:55 AM »
As for insurance, you can buy a track day policy from Hagerty. Your regular insurance will not cover any damage from anything happening on a racetrack.

AvonIndy

• View Profile
« Reply #4 on: April 14, 2022, 10:54:07 AM »
Dan / Roy, Thank you. That is what I was looking for. Was wondering about Full Face vs Open Face SA and the requirement at IMS. Kind of wanted to purchase a new Open Face SA helmet. Plan on using Factory belts with Factory Airbag. 2019 GT350. Was not sure if I need a HANS device for IMS? Thank you for the tech sheet .pdf. Can I purchase the Haggerty Track Insurance the day of? or can you send the link for early purchase?

98SVT - was 06GT

• SAAC Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: April 14, 2022, 01:32:46 PM »
Remember it's not a "race". It's performance driving with your car on a track. Make sure the wheels won't fall off and go play.

Do your own tech before you arrive
http://saac47.com/files/tech-1.pdf
Previous owner 6S843 - GT350H & 68 GT500 Convert #135.
Mine: GT1 Mustang Track Toy, 1998 SVT Cobra, Wife's: 2004 Tbird
Member since 1975 - priceless

AvonIndy

• View Profile
« Reply #7 on: April 15, 2022, 02:03:11 AM »
Thanks for the Hagerty link and the words of wisdom!

TA Coupe

• View Profile
« Reply #8 on: April 15, 2022, 03:42:22 AM »
I don't know if they will require it but try to wear cotton clothing, no polyester  because heaven forbid there is a fire that will stick to you and make things way more difficult for you. Driving shoes and gloves would be a plus.

Roy
If it starts it's streetable.
Overkill is just enough.

NC TRACKRAT

• SAAC Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: April 15, 2022, 08:39:44 AM »
This is the HANS device that Dan referred to: https://www.simpsonraceproducts.com/products/simpson-hybrid-s
It affords the protection of the built-in HANS Device while being in a vehicle with only 3-point belts.  Expensive but well-worth it when compared to outfitting your vehicle with a rollbar and 5 or 6 point belts. Many instructors like myself use them since we're sitting in the right seats of many cars without harnesses.  You may find a dealer who sells this item at a discount or may find someone who will loan you theirs for the event.  Since just about all track events require windows down, no matter what the weather, I highly recommend a full-face helmet with face shield.  We've seen some freak instances where gravel, stones or even small parts of cars have been thrown up and into a following car and glanced off a driver's face shield. I've also been in a vehicle when the air bags were deployed. The passenger wearing the open-face helmet got serious abrasions from his air bag.
« Last Edit: April 15, 2022, 08:53:19 AM by NC TRACKRAT »
5S071, 6S1467