News:

We have implemented a Photo Gallery for hosting images right here on SAACFORUM. Check the How-To in News from HQ

Main Menu

Trying to ID 65 GT350 CA black plate NJR 785

Started by 6R07mi, April 14, 2022, 02:35:58 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

6R07mi

I've discussed with registrar and haven't been able to ID.

This 65 came out of Sacramento and processed thru The T-Bird Parts Store, Livonia MI back in the late 70's,
this is stretching my aging memory !!

This street car has what appears to be re-worked rear wheel lips
   and the dash has appearance it may not have a pad and has a competition cluster?

If anyone out in our community has any clues it would be of interest to me and the registrar.

Thank you

jim p
Former owner 6S283, 70 "Boss351", 66 GT 6F07, 67 FB GT
current: 66 GT former day 2 track car 6R07
20+ yrs Ford Parts Mgr, now Meritor Defense

TA Coupe

Have you tried contacting the Sacramento Mustang club?
https://www.sacramentomustangclub.com/

Roy
If it starts it's streetable.
Overkill is just enough.

SFM5S000

That car fits the description of 5S465 When a good friend from the mid 70's Tim Mitoma owned 465. At that time period 465 had those details, R model dash, mildly reworked rear wheel openings. No LeMans stripes. I almost bought this car for $3600.00 in 1976.

Cheers,~Earl J

SFM5S000

I found an email for Tim. I'm not 100% sure it's the same person, but I sent an email anyway. His cousin was one of my best friends but unfortunately he passed away in his early 30's.
Tim's GT350 5S465 matched the description in the above photo, except Tim had AR Torque Thrusts on the car. It was here in the SF Bay Area. Tim worked for PG&E (pacific gas & electric) as I recall.
If it is him, I'll ask if he remembers the license plate number NJR785.
I won't pressure him too much as Tim disappeared after Steve passed. I'll just see if he responds and start there.
It's been over 45+years.

Cheers,
~Earl J

GT350Lad

Nice work trying Earl. Keep us posted

Cheers
6S373
6S1276

SFM5S000

Okay great news! Tim returned my email, I replied again with my contact information. He was pleasantly surprised and called me. We had a great conversation as it had been over 45 years since we'd seen each other and had spoken.
In my second email to him, I send him the photo above and he confirmed that that California Black Plate NJR785 was the plate to his Shelby 5S465!
He also said he sold the car to a Thomas B Moore of Pennsylvania (I'm withholding the address) not Crested Butte Colorado as noted in the 97 Registry. The 2015 registry, describes 5S465 as how the above photo appears. R Model dash, rear fender flares and without the LeMans stripes. Tim confirmed the plate NJR785 and is as how he remembers it.
Tim sold #465 for some of his college tuition payment. He also said he sold it with American Racing 200S wheels. He mentioned he did a number of art drawings of Cobras and Shelby's for Royal Krieger then President of the Shelby club before Rick Kopec.
I'm flying to California on Monday back to the Bay Area (day after tomorrow) for other things but while I'm there we're going to get together and catch up on 45+ years. If any more info surfaces, I'll post it.
So there you have it.

Cheers,
~Earl J

GT350Lad

6S373
6S1276

TA Coupe

Earl, any chance you will be able to come out to Brentwood for a visit? I  can take you out for lunch or dinner or maybe a beer or coffee. How many years has it been for us 🤔

Roy
Overkill is just enough.

6R07mi

Earl,
thanks for running this to ground, I'll pass the info & photos to Howard as requested.

jim p

6R07mi

expanded view of dash
and photos of 5S465 at Motor City Region Memorial day Show & Go @ Ford HQ

SFM5S000

jim p

Thanks for posting the additional photos. Especially the view from the rear showing a better profile of the rear flares and the dash. Those two (for me) confirm in my mind what I vividly remember about 5S465. Also the slender Asian guy in two of the photos looks like Tim, black hair, light shirt and dark trousers in front of the car.
I'm actually heading to the SF Bay Area later this month again. I'll show them to Tim and see if he recognizes himself. (I would be able to if someone showed me a pic of myself even if it was 47 years ago).
Anyway, the last time I meet with Tim was 2 years ago (time flies). Way back when in the mid 70's he was an art student at CCAC (California College of Arts & Crafts) he drove 5S465. He showed me a proposed SAAC membership certificate he sent to Rick Kopec (Rick rejected it) he told me.
If anyone would remember Rick Kopec would (mind of a steel trap). I don't know if he showed it to Howard Pardee or Ken Eber. If anybody saw it, it would have been those three.
I took a pic of it in Tim's album he showed me. See pic

Cheers,
~Earl J

having issues posting pics? Why?
can I email a pic to someone who can post it? PM me
Thanks Roy

TA Coupe

Earl, click on user actions then on Reply and you will should be able to go down and then drag and drop a picture from your gallery.

Roy
Overkill is just enough.

SFM5S000

I think it worked. That was different from what I'm used to. Thanks Roy

~Earl J

6R07mi

Earl,  the 2 persons in front of the car in the photos are residents of Michigan,
so not likely who you are thinking of.
the guy in the yellow tee shirt and balding is deceased,
the guy in the other photo @ Motor City Region show at Ford HQ, is the owner of the 70 Boss 302 alongside 5S465.

jim p