Author Topic: Help !! I hate electrical  (Read 5865 times)

67 GT350

• View Profile
Re: Help !! I hate electrical
« Reply #15 on: April 16, 2022, 02:12:16 PM »
I had an issue on my Boss with turn signals blowing a fuse. What I found was weird. (maybe no connection here) When the rear bumper was installed, the license light wire was under the bracket, over time (bumps) the bracket cut into the wire, I guess somehow that was it, fixed it and no problems. Wires are demons in cars.
RARE  Signature Delete

gt350shelb

• View Profile
« Reply #16 on: April 17, 2022, 08:28:06 AM »
unplug wires behind radio to fuse panel pigtails   might have interior light pluged into constant 12 v pigtail back there

Some where some one is driving their collector car for the last time but they don't know it . Drive your car every time like it could be the last memory of it .

corbins

• View Profile
« Reply #17 on: April 17, 2022, 08:22:57 PM »
unplug wires behind radio to fuse panel pigtails   might have interior light pluged into constant 12 v pigtail back there
Thanks maybe.... but all the exterior running lights come on as well

I had all kinds of issues with my 69, I called Pete (coralsnake) and bought a complete wiring harness front to back and now Everything work perfectly, just a thought.

I sure wish owner would spring for that option, I've purchased several from him as well with great success.

corbins

• View Profile
« Reply #18 on: April 20, 2022, 10:44:27 AM »
Update.... no real luck so far tracking down this issue, BUT... i have discovered that when I disconnect the 10ga black wire of the fog light harness from the positive side of the solenoid, the lights DO go out. Should this wire go to the junction block instead ??

Bill

• SAAC Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #19 on: April 20, 2022, 11:48:03 AM »
Update.... no real luck so far tracking down this issue, BUT... i have discovered that when I disconnect the 10ga black wire of the fog light harness from the positive side of the solenoid, the lights DO go out. Should this wire go to the junction block instead ??

Are you working with all original harnesses?
I ask as 10+ years ago, working on a replacement of my center console gauge, I ran across a similar issue. Went through everything, sat down in the passenger seat and fixated on the wiring harness and plug for a moment, not really realizing at first that my subconscious was fixated on two wire colors switched in the rubber plug assembly leading from console to the dash harness. Finally saw it for my conscious self, that the two wires going from harness to harness were not lined up color wise. A simple switch (hidden splice), and all of a sudden, everything worked as it should.

Just food for thought and to give you another place to double check, even if the harnesses are original, somewhere along it's history, a wire or two might have been switched by mistake.

Hope you find this helpful.

Bill
Instead of being part of the problem, be part of a successful solution.
HOW TO IDENTIFY A FORUM TROLL
https://www.saacforum.com/index.php?topic=16401.0

Lincoln tech

• View Profile
« Reply #20 on: April 20, 2022, 01:01:39 PM »
I do believe that junction block is hot all the time at least it is in my 68 , if you connect that wire to it same thing will happen, try it .

Bob Gaines

• SAAC Member
  • Original Posts:14706
    • View Profile
« Reply #21 on: April 20, 2022, 03:01:05 PM »
I do believe that junction block is hot all the time at least it is in my 68 , if you connect that wire to it same thing will happen, try it .
All items that draw power are typically attached to the terminal block. The positive side of the solenoid feeds power through the amp gauge and goes to the terminal  block. So yes the terminal block is hot. When the amp gauge detects current drain or charge the needle moves appropriately +or - .
Bob Gaines,Shelby Enthusiast, Shelby Collector , Shelby Concours judge SAAC,MCA,Mid America Shelby

Shelbypat

• View Profile
« Reply #22 on: April 27, 2022, 07:09:12 PM »
Bulbs with 2 elements. When 1 touch the other one inside, it can cause freegame like you have.

Best of luck
Patrick
« Last Edit: April 27, 2022, 07:14:51 PM by Shelbypat »

corbins

• View Profile
« Reply #23 on: April 27, 2022, 07:42:37 PM »
thanks everyone for the suggestions. I have pulled the instrument insert and checked all its wiring and everything seems to be good. The owner is coming tomorrow and we'll keep following these suggestions. Hoping something is just plugged into a wrong place .

shelbymann1970

• SAAC Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #24 on: April 28, 2022, 12:29:56 PM »
Bulbs with 2 elements. When 1 touch the other one inside, it can cause freegame like you have.

Best of luck
Patrick
I had that problem with my 68 Shelby I bought as a basket case. When I installed the door light housing on the pass door  it had a bulb in it from the prior owners. So when everything was wired up and I opened the doors I kept blowing fuses then  I isolated it down to my last fuse and the pass door light wire. Pulled the bulb out and shook my head...
Shelby owner since 1984
SAAC member since 1990
1970 GT350 4 speed(owned since 1985).
  MCA gold 2003(not anymore)
1969 Mach1 428SCJ 4 speed R-code (owned since 2013)

corbins

• View Profile
« Reply #25 on: April 28, 2022, 07:21:08 PM »
FU - so today we discover that the console wiring harness has had a new (replacement) 4 prong plug put on with some very sketchy soldering done. Will order a new one.
The other issue we discovered is that the fog light harness under dash plug may have a black and a black with yellow tracer wires reversed, the do not match up to the dash harness plug in the correct order. We are awaiting a Disher call back to verify this aspect.

Bob Gaines

• SAAC Member
  • Original Posts:14706
    • View Profile
« Reply #26 on: April 28, 2022, 09:37:43 PM »
The 69/70 toggle switch plugs are notorious for being replaced and the source of problems. If not plugged in thoroughly and completely they will heat up and sometimes melt which requires replacement of the plug and sometimes more if catastrophic electrical fire happens. 
Bob Gaines,Shelby Enthusiast, Shelby Collector , Shelby Concours judge SAAC,MCA,Mid America Shelby

Bill

• SAAC Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #27 on: April 28, 2022, 09:56:47 PM »
FU - so today we discover that the console wiring harness has had a new (replacement) 4 prong plug put on with some very sketchy soldering done. Will order a new one.
The other issue we discovered is that the fog light harness under dash plug may have a black and a black with yellow tracer wires reversed, the do not match up to the dash harness plug in the correct order. We are awaiting a Disher call back to verify this aspect.

A lot can happen under multiple owner situations. I just about pulled my hair out recently dealing with the main dash harness is 2642, a combination of my bad back, and eyesight issues finally had me drop it off at a restoration shop a month or so ago. They dove into the dash-electrical issues where I physically could not. Stopped up to see the car before the holidays and was shown that they found some poorly done non factory/shelby splices and enough melted/shorted wires, that a new "correct" harness was ordered. Once they are done with that, they will take care of the leaking "rebuilt" carb, and perhaps I'll have it on the road some time this summer. Irritating yes, but at least I know when it comes back, that everything will be as it should. As I stated earlier, sometimes you just need to take a step back, review every little detail to find the items that need fixing or replacing.

Hang in there.

Bill
Instead of being part of the problem, be part of a successful solution.
HOW TO IDENTIFY A FORUM TROLL
https://www.saacforum.com/index.php?topic=16401.0

corbins

• View Profile
« Reply #28 on: May 04, 2022, 02:47:35 PM »
Lord ....this is getting painful
Got a new console harness. Is anyone willing to verify my re-wire work? Old harness had been tampered with and some of the wire colors changed. I THINK I have this correct, see pics .  Thanks

corbins

• View Profile
« Reply #29 on: May 05, 2022, 08:56:26 AM »
Comeon now :) somebody knows if this is correct . Help a brother out :)