News:

We have implemented a Photo Gallery for hosting images right here on SAACFORUM. Check the How-To in News from HQ

Main Menu

Lost Steering - Slave Cylinder Hardware

Started by 69 GT350 Vert, May 20, 2018, 10:29:33 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

69 GT350 Vert

I lost all steering yesterday as I backed my Shelby out of the garage into my driveway.  The p/s slave cylinder rod end nut backed all the way off and the rod came out of the frame bracket.  Fortunately, it happened at 1mph in my driveway.  I was driving my Shelby at 70mph 2 days before - I feel lucky to be alive. 

After some research, I found there is supposed to be a lock nut on the rod end threads that prevents the nut from backing off.  My Shelby had a hardware store hex nut installed with no locking nut as was factory installed.  I never noticed or knew about the lock nut. 

I thought I would post this so others can check their cars to make sure you have a lock nut installed.  The amk kit is F-1811.

Bob Gaines

Quote from: 69 GT350 Vert on May 20, 2018, 10:29:33 AM
I lost all steering yesterday as I backed my Shelby out of the garage into my driveway.  The p/s slave cylinder rod end nut backed all the way off and the rod came out of the frame bracket.  Fortunately, it happened at 1mph in my driveway.  I was driving my Shelby at 70mph 2 days before - I feel lucky to be alive. 

After some research, I found there is supposed to be a lock nut on the rod end threads that prevents the nut from backing off.  My Shelby had a hardware store hex nut installed with no locking nut as was factory installed.  I never noticed or knew about the lock nut. 

I thought I would post this so others can check their cars to make sure you have a lock nut installed.  The amk kit is F-1811.
I have never heard of that happening until now. The jam nut used to lock the nut in place originally was a sheetmetal shell nut  . I think you can still find them in the yellow Servolite boxes at the hardware store.Of course a substitute can be used to function the same if originality is not a concern.
Bob Gaines,Shelby Enthusiast, Shelby Collector , Shelby Concours judge SAAC,MCA,Mid America Shelby

69 GT350 Vert

I have a little more vibration now with the cam I have.  I never heard of it before either or had it happen. Maybe something is wrong with the steering components recently rebuilt.  I think I will simply double nut it and it will never come loose again.