News:

We have implemented a Photo Gallery for hosting images right here on SAACFORUM. Check the How-To in News from HQ

Main Menu

Defining a Shelby

Started by Survivor, April 16, 2022, 10:40:35 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Survivor

Pick any year (65-70)-car gets whacked and is deemed a total loss.  Owner buys it back from the ins. co. and proceeds to remove some of the distinctive Shelby stuff (drivetrain, fender aprons. tag, some interior pieces etc.).  He then wraps that stuff with correct date coded sheetmetal/f-glass.  Is it a Shelby, a rebodied car or something else.  What if he could only salvage the fender stampings and tag.  Where's the tipping point.  I ask knowing full well that even the cleanest, most correct survivor still has had a few of the factory parts removed/replaced as a result of either age, wear and tear etc.   

427heaven

I guess there is really no tipping point... Many a COBRA-SHELBY -TIGER -FORD GT etc. have been built from a vin number or less. Many of these multi million dollar cars are known, and current owners know full well what they have, if it blows your hair back and gets you excited then no harm no foul. Some of the biggest names in the game own these cars, and they were complete wrecks or incomplete as they were found or known. Some used to POO-POO the little guy for bringing them back but now they have been called out on their rides, so all is forgiven, and we can all enjoy the hobby we all love!

67 GT350

This is a hot topic....cannot wait for more to add their 2 cents....
RARE  Signature Delete

Lincoln tech

Be patient they'll be here ,do you mean experts ?  ;)

GT350Lad

This is a topic that has been discussed before and I think the sentiment that comes thought the pages and pages of posts is that it's metal and drivetrain. For me personally it's the original metalwork that has the Shelby DNA woven into it. Original VINS, aprons and Shelby tag. Engine is a great bonus.
Just my thoughts. For my most recent purchase I was hunting a super clean rust free body first and foremost.

Others may vary there opinion but it's about what your comfortable with. What you can live with

Cheers
6S373
6S1276

crossboss

Removing or re installing a VIN onto another car/body/chassis is a felony. That is known as a re-body. That said, many, many cars do get into accidents and have had major (or minor) repairs. IF the VIN is still attached to it's original chassis, that is legal. And any repairs are considered just that, 'repairs'. Yes, many cars have been created from just a VIN. IF you have any concerns go to the FBI website and search about VINs, and VIN tampering.
Past owned Shelby's:
1968 GT-350--Gold
1970 GT-500--#3129--Grabber Orange.
Current lifelong projects:
1969 Mustang Fastback/FOX chassis, 5 speed, 4 wheel discs, with a modern Can-Am 494 (Boss 429), Kaase heads, intake with a 1425 cfm 'B' Autolite Inline carb, ala Trans-Am style
1968/70 Olds 442 W-30

GT350Lad

And yes a rebody is against the law. I guess some people get away with it by building car around it with a tag on a piece of metal.
It's a fine line and a Frankencar can be born
6S373
6S1276

Rebody=replica(no matter how much legit Shelby stuff you hang on it)

67 GT350

Quote from: GT350Lad on April 16, 2022, 06:12:10 PM
This is a topic that has been discussed before and I think the sentiment that comes thought the pages and pages of posts is that it's metal and drivetrain. For me personally it's the original metalwork that has the Shelby DNA woven into it. Original VINS, aprons and Shelby tag. Engine is a great bonus.
Just my thoughts. For my most recent purchase I was hunting a super clean rust free body first and foremost.

Others may vary there opinion but it's about what your comfortable with. What you can live with

Cheers

I think many can "live with it" but if it is known, then everybody is in someone else's business, I be just as many can look at a car and feel its a re-body and as many can look at a re-body and think it is original.
RARE  Signature Delete

67 GT350

Makes you kinda not want one if someone can say your car aint real....and that spoiles the car for life......If it is in the registry, it must be true? Is it becoming a pain just owning a car....that with words can ruin it?
RARE  Signature Delete

FL SAAC

Quote from: 427heaven on April 16, 2022, 11:54:37 AM
I guess there is really no tipping point... Many a COBRA-SHELBY -TIGER -FORD GT etc. have been built from a vin number or less. Many of these multi million dollar cars are known, and current owners know full well what they have, if it blows your hair back and gets you excited then no harm no foul. Some of the biggest names in the game own these cars, and they were complete wrecks or incomplete as they were found or known. Some used to POO-POO the little guy for bringing them back but now they have been called out on their rides, so all is forgiven, and we can all enjoy the hobby we all love!

case in point,  jimmies car

one more time, the pot with tea is being mixed or has been already brewed with all the correct stamping, vins, intricacies, patina, paperwork,  documentation, witnesses, history, etc. that will be untraceable

why? because an expert, master craftsmanship, member of the guild, true renaissance man will be or has been involved in bringing jimmies car back
Living RENT FREE in your minds

All Time Post Count King !

Home of the "Amazing Hertz 3 + 1 Musketeers"

FL SAAC Simply the Best, much Better than ALL the Rest.

I have all UNGOLD cars

I am certainly not a Shelby Expert

67 GT350

Quote from: FL SAAC on April 16, 2022, 10:24:45 PM

one more time, the pot with tea is being mixed or has been already brewed with all the correct stamping, vins, intricacies, patina, paperwork,  documentation, witnesses, history, etc. that will be untraceable

why? because an expert, master craftsmanship, member of the guild, true renaissance man will be or has been involved in bringing jimmies car back

Makes my point, lets say Jims car is found, will the non-believers change their tune? Remember what today is, many did believe also...Think of what Easter means......NOT COMPAIRING A STUPID CAR TO EASTER, just using the point.
RARE  Signature Delete

GT350DAVE

Who is this so called "expert, master craftsmanship, member of the guild, true renaissancman?"
The 1967 Registrar wants to know.
Dave
Support the SAAC Registry

crossboss

Quote from: GT350DAVE on April 17, 2022, 12:32:41 PM

Who is this so called "expert, master craftsmanship, member of the guild, true renaissancman?"
The 1967 Registrar wants to know.
Dave

Its the guy who is re-creating Frankenshelby for its glorious return, aka the 're-body'! LOL
Past owned Shelby's:
1968 GT-350--Gold
1970 GT-500--#3129--Grabber Orange.
Current lifelong projects:
1969 Mustang Fastback/FOX chassis, 5 speed, 4 wheel discs, with a modern Can-Am 494 (Boss 429), Kaase heads, intake with a 1425 cfm 'B' Autolite Inline carb, ala Trans-Am style
1968/70 Olds 442 W-30

427hunter

The mustang that left SJ for SA is the car. If that car is gone you do not own a Shelby even if you have the tags welded in another body. I see people wearing fake Rolex watches and I think how pathetic that it, a fake Shelby is just as pathetic. 
"You keep using that word, I do not think it means what you think it means"

Inigo Montoya

"This life's hard, man, but it's harder if you're stupid"

Jackie Brown

2000 hours of my life stolen by 602 over three years