Author Topic: CSB 3054 - Typ 65 Super Daytona Coupe - Seek of Time Period Pics from 1965  (Read 3657 times)

Szabo

• View Profile
Hello all,

hope you can and want to help me a little bit.

I am looking for time correct Pics of the "Super Daytona Coupe"

i have found a few on my own search but i am not sure, when the Shoot was,
for sure the Car stands on LAX

Above all, I'm looking for a larger or better resolution of this photo

other Pics i have

This Pic says "JUNE 65" in the title

not sure if this pic is time correct, what do you think ?

Thanks for all

Greets from Germany

Stephan
« Last Edit: April 18, 2022, 05:37:45 PM by Szabo »

Coralsnake

• SAAC Member
  • The original Influencer
    • View Profile
    • theCoralsnake.com
I remember that car when George Stauffer owned it.

98SVT - was 06GT

• SAAC Member
    • View Profile
Pictures should only be from 3 places. AC cars where the chassis was built Radford who built the body and Shelby's LAX facility where after the drivetrain was installed it languished unfinished (sidelined by the GT40 program) until it was sold when SA was liquidated in late 1967. It was gone before the move to Torrance in Nov 67. It was finally finished sometime in the early 80s.
If it ever did any testing those pics would be Willow Springs or Riverside both of which are easy to tell.
« Last Edit: April 18, 2022, 11:12:59 PM by 98SVT - was 06GT »
Previous owner 6S843 - GT350H & 68 GT500 Convert #135.
Mine: GT1 Mustang Track Toy, 1998 SVT Cobra, Wife's: 2004 Tbird
Member since 1975 - priceless

s2ms

• SAAC Member
    • View Profile
    • 6S1757 Info
In case you haven't seen it, there is a short chapter in Mike Shoen's "The Cobra-Ferrari Wars" on the Super Coupe. It has 3 photos, including the last one in your first post, and a blueprint.
Dave - 6S1757

JWH

• View Profile
I noticed in the picture of Pete Brock discussing the wheel/tire combination with the two guys, it appears a spare tire may be rolling straight for the front fender and headlight of the Cobra parked behind the Coupe.

Engineer

• View Profile
Sorry not a photograph ..... a blueprint drawing or sketch for your reference.

Rick (aka Engineer)

tesgt350

• View Profile
    • BLACK HAT PERFORMANCE
What ever happened to the Car?

s2ms

• SAAC Member
    • View Profile
    • 6S1757 Info
Sorry not a photograph ..... a blueprint drawing or sketch for your reference.

Rick (aka Engineer)

Cool piece, that's basically the one in Shoen's book....but cooler!  8)
Dave - 6S1757

NukeGT

• View Profile
https://youtu.be/hPGG_0CO0dE

Driving at Riverside Raceway

98SVT - was 06GT

• SAAC Member
    • View Profile

NukeGT

• View Profile
At 0:17 of video provides a great reference photo the original post may help. Firestones also look newly installed for the build completion. The Goodyears look perfect for the collection display.

Szabo

• View Profile
Thanks for all your replys

@98SVT - was 06GT

i agree and of course i mostly interested in Pic from LAX

@s2ms

can you show the 3 Pics from the Book ???

@all

i like the Video and the Blueprints, thank you very much

if the Pic at 0,17 Minute was from LAX fresh paint, i dont know but it could be possible

Greets from Germany

Stephan

98SVT - was 06GT

• SAAC Member
    • View Profile
At 0:17 of video provides a great reference photo the original post may help. Firestones also look newly installed for the build completion. The Goodyears look perfect for the collection display.
I was just pointing out how wrong Firestones look on a SA product. Some history for the kids. Prior to building the first Cobra at Dean Moon's shop Shelby had rented space there for his new GoodYear race tire distributorship. A problem arose when Firestone and GoodYear discovered their race tires were coming from the same address - Dean Moon had the Firestone distributorship. Bottom line they made Shelby move out. It was that GoodYear contract that kept Shelby afloat through many of his other failed ventures.
And don't forget it was Firestones mounted on cheater 9" rear wheels that cost Mark Donahue a championship in a GT350. The rear springs rubbed through the sidewalls while flexing on the banking. PS - he would not have won anyway CS had a protest ready to go for the "out of spec" wheels.
From everything I've ever seen or read the car left SA unpainted. Of course painted in period makes it sound like it was moments from winning it's first race rather than being a dead project. But without history you need a good story to sell a car.
I think the boldest "as raced" claim is attached to the first Coupe. When CS sold the car to Jim Russell it had a fresh HiPo street long block with all the race parts mounted on it. Russell took the car and had it turned into a show piece with flawless bodywork and fresh paint along with a Tony Nancy interior. He used it to hype his RussKit slot cars and then sold it off to Phil Specter. After 40+ years in un-climate controlled storage - presto as raced patina.

« Last Edit: April 20, 2022, 06:23:37 PM by 98SVT - was 06GT »