News:

SAAC Member Badges are NOW available. Make your request through saac.memberlodge.com to validate membership.

Main Menu

1969 rear mounted anrtenna

Started by kasearch@ix.netcom.com, April 20, 2022, 10:35:45 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

kasearch@ix.netcom.com

Can someone please post a picture of the antenna mounted in the trunk.  Also, what is the routing of the antenna wire from the radio to the antenna. Thank you in advance.

Bob Gaines

Quote from: kasearch@ix.netcom.com on April 20, 2022, 10:35:45 AM
Can someone please post a picture of the antenna mounted in the trunk.  Also, what is the routing of the antenna wire from the radio to the antenna. Thank you in advance.
The trunk side portion that the mast retracts into is marked with a PM300 . It has a screw on coaxial cable. Don't confuse it with the big Ford  antenna that has a coaxial cable made into the assembly. The topside that you see is unique with unique hardware and different and so is the bottom side seen in the trunk. The coaxial cable is very hard to find too but you could make something up that will work from accessible parts.When mounted the antenna bottom side tube should be short enough not to make contact with the floor if mounted vertical. Of course they were dealer installed so there is a variety of mounting positions however the point is if the mast is too long the antenna can only be mounted in a very slanted angle. Many that you find for sale have to be modified because the bottom side is too long.  The picture is one I grabbed off of ebay and is too long.   https://www.ebay.com/itm/265316428639  . The factory antennas came with ether the typical round ball or a pear shaped end.  The antenna coaxial cable is run in the upper trunk inner structure forward of the trunk lid and across the trunk . It then goes over the passenger side wheel house on its way to the front.
Bob Gaines,Shelby Enthusiast, Shelby Collector , Shelby Concours judge SAAC,MCA,Mid America Shelby

Special Ed

The ebay pm (Pontiac Motors) 300 antenna was reproduced from my original i sent to the guy who bought out ward antenna company who made most antennas for the big 3 . It is an excellent copy and some parts were leftover inventory from trailer loads of antenna parts that were used to remake many antennas. I have found these antennas in old junk yards as they were used in late 50s and up certain cars so good luck finding one now days after the big crush years ago.

shelbymann1970

Quote from: Special Ed on April 21, 2022, 12:05:38 AM
The ebay pm (Pontiac Motors) 300 antenna was reproduced from my original i sent to the guy who bought out ward antenna company who made most antennas for the big 3 . It is an excellent copy and some parts were leftover inventory from trailer loads of antenna parts that were used to remake many antennas. I have found these antennas in old junk yards as they were used in late 50s and up certain cars so good luck finding one now days after the big crush years ago.
So Bob says the ebay one is too long and you say it was reproduced off of one you sent him. So did he repo it wrong by making it too long?
Shelby owner since 1984
SAAC member since 1990
1970 GT350 4 speed(owned since 1985).
  MCA gold 2003(not anymore)
1969 Mach1 428SCJ 4 speed R-code (owned since 2013)

Bob Gaines

Quote from: shelbymann1970 on April 21, 2022, 10:10:57 AM
Quote from: Special Ed on April 21, 2022, 12:05:38 AM
So Bob says the ebay one is too long and you say it was reproduced off of one you sent him. So did he repo it wrong by making it too long?
The guy used most if not all parts that he got from the warehouse buy. Apparently the tubes were ones that were already made up from another application and consequently longer. Joel has been making them for years. In years past when I have come across them at swap meets etc. most are the longer tube . Seldom have I found any that were the shorter tube unless I could trace it back to coming out of a genuine 69/70. Everything else is the same except the tube is shorter. This causes the antenna to not collapse all of the the way down . All the way down is another tell that the antenna is not assemblyline. i buy everyone i can find regardless of if the tube is too long or not because it is not much of a chore to make the modification. FYI unfortunately like he clearly states in his auction the ones that Joel has assembled from NOS parts lack the connection to the antenna mast inside so they will not provide antenna input but otherwise they look authentic genuine.   
Bob Gaines,Shelby Enthusiast, Shelby Collector , Shelby Concours judge SAAC,MCA,Mid America Shelby

crossboss

Interesting, I just leaned something new. I always thought these were sourced/used from a Lincoln.
Past owned Shelby's:
1968 GT-350--Gold
1970 GT-500--#3129--Grabber Orange.
Current lifelong projects:
1969 Mustang Fastback/FOX chassis, 5 speed, 4 wheel discs, with a modern Can-Am 494 (Boss 429), Kaase heads, intake with a 1425 cfm 'B' Autolite Inline carb, ala Trans-Am style
1968/70 Olds 442 W-30

Bob Gaines

Quote from: crossboss on April 21, 2022, 05:09:32 PM
Interesting, I just leaned something new. I always thought these were sourced/used from a Lincoln.
Nope.

CobraJet

I recently saw a FaceBook post that showed a replacement antenna with a teardrop end rather than a circular ball end.  Which is correct?  Mine has a ball end, and I thought it was original.
65 Tiger, 67 GT350, 68 GTE, 69 GT 500

shelbymann1970

Quote from: CobraJet on June 20, 2023, 12:52:10 PM
I recently saw a FaceBook post that showed a replacement antenna with a teardrop end rather than a circular ball end.  Which is correct?  Mine has a ball end, and I thought it was original.
both
Shelby owner since 1984
SAAC member since 1990
1970 GT350 4 speed(owned since 1985).
  MCA gold 2003(not anymore)
1969 Mach1 428SCJ 4 speed R-code (owned since 2013)

Bob Gaines

Quote from: CobraJet on June 20, 2023, 12:52:10 PM
Both are correct .the tear drop style is more common on the factory cars.