Author Topic: What’s the price on 68 restored California special?  (Read 5454 times)

Bob Gaines

• SAAC Member
  • Original Posts:14706
    • View Profile
Re: What’s the price on 68 restored California special?
« Reply #15 on: April 25, 2022, 04:19:34 PM »
Interesting the article credits the design to Carroll Shelby when it was Ford designer who did the 67 Shelby. But I guess designed by Charley McHose just doesn't have the cachet of CS. Since it is a 68 car John Chun another Ford stylist could have had a hand in it.

PS: If you come across a red/black GT/CS (CA black plate ZAZ 235) run away from it. My sister bought it new and they fixed it after it got T-boned. Hit at the drivers A pillar the passenger door gap opened up to 1/2"+. They pulled it back but even the drivers AC vent wasn't in the right place anymore. She kept it another 6-8 months and bought a VW Bug.

GT/CS was a dress up sales tool installed on any Mustang. It added zero performance. I still have both sets of fog lights. If I remember the Marchal were illegal and the dealers swapped them to Lucas. My dad asked the dealer if he could have the takeoffs for his camper and they gave them to him. I took the Lucas ones for my car when my sister traded it in.

Did Carroll Shelby design Little red and the Green Hornet?

To the best of my knowledge, Carroll Shelby didn’t actually design anything.
Shelby surrounded himself with good people.
Bob Gaines,Shelby Enthusiast, Shelby Collector , Shelby Concours judge SAAC,MCA,Mid America Shelby

98SVT - was 06GT

• SAAC Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: April 25, 2022, 04:21:22 PM »
Did Carroll Shelby design Little red and the Green Hornet?
Shelby's designer Pete Brock got the ax after the Coupes won the Manufacturers Championship (65) and CS was told to focus on the GT40s. Ford sent (and paid) their own stylist Charles McHose to work at Shelby American and design the next Shelby cars - Ford had the final signoff not CS. Ford wanted more than just stripes and performance. They wanted people to see the Shelby as a true premium Mustang they would be willing to part with extra money for. Styling was a big part of that image in Ford's eye.
PS - The handwriting was on the wall as soon as Ford gave CS the GT40s he was told not to expend any more energy on the Coupes. In 1965 the Coupes were entered by SA but entirely run and managed by Alan Mann Racing.
SA basically got the ax too in mid 67 when Ford took over all the assets and trademarks. Shelby was offered and accepted a contract to run a race team. This is why you see Shelby Racing, Inc. on the fenders of the 68 TA cars and not Shelby American. "Ford" built/delivered some of the last 67s (believed to be those with the Z on the serial number plate) and created Shelby Automotive to build the 68 and 69 cars - CS was the titular head of Shelby Automotive but really had no input into development or design - very similar to the 2006 GT500 which was entirely finished before marketing figured CS could help gin up the sales.
Previous owner 6S843 - GT350H & 68 GT500 Convert #135.
Mine: GT1 Mustang Track Toy, 1998 SVT Cobra, Wife's: 2004 Tbird
Member since 1975 - priceless

FL SAAC

• SAAC Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: April 25, 2022, 04:23:39 PM »
Interesting the article credits the design to Carroll Shelby when it was Ford designer who did the 67 Shelby. But I guess designed by Charley McHose just doesn't have the cachet of CS. Since it is a 68 car John Chun another Ford stylist could have had a hand in it.

PS: If you come across a red/black GT/CS (CA black plate ZAZ 235) run away from it. My sister bought it new and they fixed it after it got T-boned. Hit at the drivers A pillar the passenger door gap opened up to 1/2"+. They pulled it back but even the drivers AC vent wasn't in the right place anymore. She kept it another 6-8 months and bought a VW Bug.

GT/CS was a dress up sales tool installed on any Mustang. It added zero performance.
I still have both sets of fog lights. If I remember the Marchal were illegal and the dealers swapped them to Lucas. My dad asked the dealer if he could have the takeoffs for his camper and they gave them to him. I took the Lucas ones for my car when my sister traded it in.

What about C Special with a 4 2 8 ?
Living RENT FREE in your minds...

Home of the Hertz Musketeers 

A person without a sense of humor is like a wagon without springs.  It's jolted by every pebble on the road

I have all UNGOLD cars

I am certainly not a Shelby Expert

Life is short B happy

Krelboyne

• View Profile
« Reply #18 on: April 25, 2022, 04:38:08 PM »
The 1968 California Specials were only built as hardtops or coupes. No convertible or fastbacks.
They were only built at San Jose and debuted mid year 1968. Any RPO engine available.

If a 1968 GT/CS was destined for DSO 51 (Denver), they would have come with High Country Special badging.
HCS's or High Country Specials were a 'Denver' Colorado special edition. They were sold 1966-1967 in any body style, 1968 were rebadged GT/CS's.
Scott Behncke - Carchaeologist @ WCCC

• 1967 gt500 since 82 NFS!
    • View Profile
« Reply #19 on: April 25, 2022, 09:56:43 PM »
I’ve seen 428cj cal specials,never seen one with a P.I….

67 GT350

• View Profile
« Reply #20 on: April 25, 2022, 10:28:39 PM »
SO, how much is that guy's friend's car work that started this post?????!?!?!?!?!!??!?!!?!??!?!??!
RARE  Signature Delete

Royce Peterson

• View Profile
« Reply #21 on: April 26, 2022, 11:47:01 AM »

Since the California Specials were only built in 1968 and they only came with the Mustang engines that were optional that model year, I don't see why any of them would be equipped with an engine that was not made that model year.
1968 Cougar XR-7 GT-E 427 Side Oiler C6 3.50 Detroit Locker
1968 1/2 Cougar XR-7 428CJ Ram Air C6 3.91 Traction Lock

• 1967 gt500 since 82 NFS!
    • View Profile
« Reply #22 on: April 26, 2022, 11:50:47 AM »
Well,the engine was made that year(68 gt500) but not available in the C.S. I believe…

shelbymann1970

• SAAC Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #23 on: April 26, 2022, 12:20:54 PM »
the Red one, the white one or the blue one? All 3?
Shelby owner since 1984
SAAC member since 1990
1970 GT350 4 speed(owned since 1985).
  MCA gold 2003(not anymore)
1969 Mach1 428SCJ 4 speed R-code (owned since 2013)

68gtcoupe

• SAAC Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #24 on: April 26, 2022, 12:39:05 PM »
SO, how much is that guy's friend's car work that started this post?????!?!?!?!?!!??!?!!?!??!?!??!

Hagerty lists the 1968 Mustang GT/CS with the C-code 289 at $33,500 in #3 (good) condition.
They list the standard 1968 Mustang coupe at $24,800 in the same condition
That indicates a 35% increase for the CS over a regular Mustang
Interesting, I am unable to find a value for any T-code 1968 Mustang, but obviously would be a deduction in value from the C-code cars.
This thread describes a car with essentially no optional equipment other than being a California Special.
So I guess whatever a basic 1968 Mustang 6-cylinder, 3-speed manual coupe is worth, plus 35%, if you want to put a number on it. 

Bigfoot

• Forum 1.0 posts: 8815
    • View Profile
« Reply #25 on: April 26, 2022, 04:13:34 PM »
I own a black on black , 390-4v, stick , GT/CS.
I drove it to SAAC show 9 years ago from LA. It’s in typical
Driver condition. Needs paint. Lots of patina.

Probably 50k all day long.
If it was restored it would be above that.

It’s all about motor, condition , trans and color.

NFS

RIP KIWI
RIP KIWI

Bigfoot

• View Profile
« Reply #26 on: April 26, 2022, 04:28:26 PM »
Color might even supersede trans in value evaluation under certain circumstances
RIP KIWI
RIP KIWI

Bigfoot

• View Profile
« Reply #27 on: April 26, 2022, 04:52:42 PM »

Since the California Specials were only built in 1968 and they only came with the Mustang engines that were optional that model year, I don't see why any of them would be equipped with an engine that was not made that model year.

Royce is correct
BBlocks available were 390-2v (wagon type 390),  390-4v and 428CJ, no PI
RIP KIWI
RIP KIWI

Royce Peterson

• View Profile
« Reply #28 on: April 26, 2022, 05:01:18 PM »
Well,the engine was made that year(68 gt500) but not available in the C.S. I believe…

Special Shelby engine - only available in a Shelby.

California Specials had any engine that you could get in a MUSTANG in 1968 model year.
1968 Cougar XR-7 GT-E 427 Side Oiler C6 3.50 Detroit Locker
1968 1/2 Cougar XR-7 428CJ Ram Air C6 3.91 Traction Lock

Bigfoot

• View Profile
« Reply #29 on: April 27, 2022, 12:29:44 PM »
Do we have a photo?
RIP KIWI
RIP KIWI