Author Topic: Vehicle Title  (Read 3103 times)

rdmgt500

• SAAC Member
    • View Profile
Vehicle Title
« on: April 30, 2022, 10:41:07 AM »
Can someone let me know if 1967 Shelby mustangs were titled with the Shelby serial number or Ford VIN number? That is, when they were registered with the local DMV, was the Ford VIN or Shelby serial number recorded on the title?

Bob Gaines

• SAAC Member
  • Original Posts:14706
    • View Profile
Re: Vehicle Title
« Reply #1 on: April 30, 2022, 10:51:36 AM »
Can someone let me know if 1967 Shelby mustangs were titled with the Shelby serial number or Ford VIN number? That is, when they were registered with the local DMV, was the Ford VIN or Shelby serial number recorded on the title?
They can and have been done ether way. Originally the intention was to use the Shelby number as Shelby American was a legitimate federally recognized vehicle Manufacturer however some states didn't understand and were fussy insisting on the Ford vin instead.  So s#!t happens. ;D
Bob Gaines,Shelby Enthusiast, Shelby Collector , Shelby Concours judge SAAC,MCA,Mid America Shelby

67 GT350

• View Profile
« Reply #2 on: April 30, 2022, 10:52:22 AM »
I think it should be the SHELBY VIN...Every car I ever owned has been that way. Not sure why it would not be that way since the only number exposed on the car is the SHELBY VIN?
(Could there be "funny business"?)
RARE  Signature Delete

67 GT350

• View Profile
« Reply #3 on: April 30, 2022, 10:54:51 AM »
They can and have been done ether way. Originally the intention was to use the Shelby number as Shelby American was a legitimate federally recognized vehicle Manufacturer however some states didn't understand and were fussy insisting on the Ford vin instead.  So s#!t happens. ;D
[/quote]

Do you have a list of States that would have done that? Wouldn't the 67 Registry reflect that?
RARE  Signature Delete

Bob Gaines

• SAAC Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: April 30, 2022, 11:04:37 AM »
 FYI the Ford VIN is just as good for identifying a Shelby as a Shelby. What we think want and what the states want is besides the point. Only one Ford vin corresponds to one Shelby vin and vice versa. It doesn't matter which is used on a title for that purpose. It still is what it is. Of course this wouldn't be as easy for the 65-67 Shelby's without the help of our devoted registrars.
Bob Gaines,Shelby Enthusiast, Shelby Collector , Shelby Concours judge SAAC,MCA,Mid America Shelby

Bob Gaines

• SAAC Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: April 30, 2022, 11:29:19 AM »

Do you have a list of States that would have done that? Wouldn't the 67 Registry reflect that?
[/quote] Any state or their employee has the potential and the power to be a a hole if they want to. Given that Shelby American was a legitimate vehicle Manufacturer technically and in theory all states should recognize that. Theory and what happens in real world can be two different things. :)  For example I have had my state MO titles with both Shelby vin and Ford vin . It depended on what office ,what person etc. you went to . I can remember over hearing a highway patrol vehicle inspector brag how they come in as Shelby and leave a Mustang. Just a guy trying to squeeze every bit of power out of his job. Sometimes it can be as simple as bringing in the SAAC registry and explaining things. But be prepared to be shut down because many will not recognize that as authoritative enough. Sometimes it is not worth the fight,the time and money it takes to get the job done. As I said before it is what it is regardless of if Shelby or Ford vin.   I would think if you wanted to push the issue getting a copy of the federal document of Shelby's Vehicle Manufacture authority for a given year would have to be a Perry Mason moment . At the end of the day they have the power to do whatever they want evidence or no evidence so it is best to be polite. ;)
« Last Edit: April 30, 2022, 11:31:44 AM by Bob Gaines »

rhjanes

• R "Junior" Janes
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: April 30, 2022, 12:15:22 PM »
+1000 on what Bob just said.
The state of Texas has rules for Antique license plates.  They are good for five years.  You can get the state issued "Antique" plate, or present a set from the year the car was made (So I have 1969 Texas Plates on my 1969 coupe).  About 10 years ago, Texas decided to streamline and redo the antique plate system.  My 1970 Mach, I got the renewal and went down and it was zero issue.  the new system SEEMED much better.  The new "sticker" is affixed to a small metal plate you attach to those 1970 license plates, it has their current registration number, the last 4 (or 6) of the original VIN, the letters and number off the 1970 plates, all in small print.  Done, easy, good for another 5 years.  My 1969?  We've owned the car since the early 1970's.  It's been titled and registered in Texas since 1975.  I get ZIP for paperwork.  So I go in when I renew the 1970.  They fumble around and say "oh, this is one that got messed up.....bring in those plates and the paperwork from......5 years ago".  OK, Fine.  I keep that stuff so make another trip.  Nope, get told they ALSO need to see the title to the 1969.  ANOTHER Trip.  This time I've got the 1969 plates, the 5 years old paperwork, the title.  I get some young thing who looks tired and lost.  She looks at my 1969 Texas Title and declares "What is THIS!  This isn't a valid motor vehicle!  VIN's are 16 digits and this must be illegal...."   I has holding off with my blood pressure as I was about to tell her I'd be back in half an hour, WITH THE 1969 FORD MUSTANG".  An older worker walked up behind the first person, put their hand on their shoulder and said "It's time for your break now".  I held back my laughter.  The older lady then looked over everything, knew exactly what she was looking at, explained how for some reason the state had screwed up roughly HALF the antique renewals, and she'd set this straight.  Oh how I wished I'd gotten her on my first visit!   So yeah, we are totally at the mercy of the government and government employees and it depends on which one you are dealing with.  Multiply that by the 50 or so years these cars have been in existence and the number of title changes......
Don't get me stated with our THIRD attempt dealing with the IRS about a deceased family member. 
Pirating!  Corporate take-over without the paperwork

propayne

• View Profile
« Reply #7 on: April 30, 2022, 12:57:40 PM »
The flip side to this is all the times I see people abusing the "Antique" status of their vehicles where I live.

- Phillip
President, Delmarva Cougar Club - Brand Manager, Cougar Club of America

rhjanes

• R "Junior" Janes
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: April 30, 2022, 10:27:14 PM »
The flip side to this is all the times I see people abusing the "Antique" status of their vehicles where I live.

- Phillip
How so?

here in Texas, the massive issue is the Temporary Tags.

• 1967 gt500 since 82 NFS!
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: May 01, 2022, 02:25:01 AM »
Well my car is titled in Ca. under the Shelby vin with ford as the manufacturer  ::)

propayne

• View Profile
« Reply #10 on: May 01, 2022, 08:55:13 AM »

- Phillip
How so?

The benefits of having a car or truck registered and tagged as an antique in Virginia are numerous, but there are restrictions on how they can be used.

I see people abusing those restrictions fairly often.

- Phillip
President, Delmarva Cougar Club - Brand Manager, Cougar Club of America

TOBKOB

• SAAC Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: May 01, 2022, 09:07:42 AM »
The 9 most dreaded  words you can hear "I'm from the government and I'm here to help".  >:(

TOB
1969 GT350 owned since 1970

rhjanes

• R "Junior" Janes
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: May 01, 2022, 11:07:33 AM »

- Phillip
How so?

The benefits of having a car or truck registered and tagged as an antique in Virginia are numerous, but there are restrictions on how they can be used.

I see people abusing those restrictions fairly often.

- Phillip

Thanks.  Texas used to have some limits on the usage if licensed as an antique.  They gave up on that a long time ago.  Now the state figures your insurance probably limits usage.  And insurance savings are much greater than the license fee ($10 a year for antique versus around $75 a year for our daily drivers).  On my two antiques the yearly insurance bill is about what we pay each MONTH on the three daily drivers.  The state also considers that the old cars are, for the most part, not driven all that much.  Very few of my friends with antique plates, drive the antique more than a few thousand miles a year.
Here's the snip on the Texas application.

Vehicles at least 25 years old will be issued one Antique plate to be displayed on the rear of the vehicle for a five-year period. The fee
is $50 if the vehicle was manufactured in 1921 or later; the fee is $40 if the vehicle was manufactured prior to 1921.
Instead of an Antique plate, the owner of an antique vehicle may use an embossed license plate issued by this state that is the same
year as the model year of the vehicle. The plate must have the original color scheme, and be in good, readable condition. If the
original plate is approved by your local county tax assessor-collector’s office, a plate tab with a registration sticker will be issued to
show the plate is valid.
Replicas of Texas license plates are not acceptable. Plates with an alpha-numeric pattern that are already in use or qualifying license
plates such as a Farm plate, Dealer plate, etc., will not be approved.
Proof of financial responsibility (insurance) or a copy of the completed Texas Department of Public Safety (DPS) affidavit (DPS Form

Getting the Tax people to accept the old antique plates used to be an issue.  I've not done that since 1994 so I don't know if that is still a hassle. 

roddster

• View Profile
« Reply #13 on: May 01, 2022, 12:24:48 PM »
  I don't know.  Put me on the "We The People" list will you.

The Shelby American VIN IS the vin.  I have never seen or heard of (until today) the Ford vin being acceptable.  And, if the elderly or undertrained State employee doesn't understand that, then that is the time you ask them to go check with their supervisor for a little clarification.
  Same thing with the numbers of digits in the vin, they don't know?  Please ask your supervisor for guidance.
  If that that does not get you satisfaction, collect the paperwork you brought in and go to another office.
  And, I too want to see the list of States where that (accepting the Ford vin) is acceptable.
  What does the title say it is?
« Last Edit: May 01, 2022, 12:29:27 PM by roddster »

Bob Gaines

• SAAC Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: May 01, 2022, 12:38:47 PM »
  I don't know.  Put me on the "We The People" list will you.

The Shelby American VIN IS the vin.  I have never seen or heard of (until today) the Ford vin being acceptable.  And, if the elderly or undertrained State employee doesn't understand that, then that is the time you ask them to go check with their supervisor for a little clarification.
  Same thing with the numbers of digits in the vin, they don't know?  Please ask your supervisor for guidance.
  If that that does not get you satisfaction, collect the paperwork you brought in and go to another office.
  And, I too want to see the list of States where that (accepting the Ford vin) is acceptable.
  What does the title say it is?
Reread the reply #5 . Short vision is even though not correct the States have the authority to do what ever they want.