Author Topic: Fix your 69-70 Shelby hood for good  (Read 2668 times)

kansascarguy

• View Profile
Fix your 69-70 Shelby hood for good
« on: April 30, 2022, 09:13:32 PM »
Is your 69-70 Shelby hood bowed? Most likely it is - especially if yours has a high-heat generating big block underneath it. The combined forces of spring moment, thermal shock, and age have taken their toll on that fiberglass - eventually resulting in that disturbing gap that you're sick of looking at. If you want to permanently de-arch your hood so it matches the curvature of the fenders, I can make it happen - *even if the topside of your hood already has nice paint on it (*in most cases but each hood will have to be assessed). There's a whole lot more to fixing this than these few photos reveal. And it ain't cheap. It requires major surgery - but when you add some stretch-formed structural metal inserts in there while in the process, you end up with a stronger hood, resistant to future bowing, and perfectly aligned with the fenders and cowl just like A.O.Smith intended. The underside will be as factory - all of the oozy looking cemented joints will be mimicked (but with high-strength fiberglass resin with additives), rear vent screens re-epoxied, outer edge painted with your body color, and new flat/eggshell black paint with the correct feathered edges around the perimeter. Now you can quit screwing with those old wives' tale remedies (unhooking the springs, piling on weights, etc., etc.) that DON'T WORK - and fix it once and for all.

Chris' Garage, 101 S. Rogers, Cleveland, MO 64734 (kansascarguy@gmail.com)
« Last Edit: April 30, 2022, 09:22:31 PM by kansascarguy »

FL SAAC

• SAAC Member
    • View Profile
Re: Fix your 69-70 Shelby hood for good
« Reply #1 on: April 30, 2022, 09:18:43 PM »
Living RENT FREE in your minds...

Home of the Hertz Musketeers 

A person without a sense of humor is like a wagon without springs.  It's jolted by every pebble on the road

I have all UNGOLD cars

I am certainly not a Shelby Expert

Life is short B happy

crossboss

• ^My Current Project^
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: May 02, 2022, 12:22:35 PM »
Another option (however not stock), would be to purchase a high quality repro hood from Stangaholics. I bought one a coupe years ago, and I can say it is the upmost best quality reproduction Shelby hood I ever owned. It has all of the metal reinforcements inside the braces, so no future hood 'bowing' issues. Something to consider...
Past owned Shelby's:
1968 GT-350--Gold
1970 GT-500--#3129--Grabber Orange.
Current lifelong projects:
1969 Mustang Fastback/FOX chassis, 5 speed, 4 wheel discs, with a modern Can-Am 494 (Boss 429), Kaase heads, intake with a 1425 cfm 'B' Autolite Inline carb, ala Trans-Am style
1968/70 Olds 442 W-30

kansascarguy

• View Profile
« Reply #3 on: May 02, 2022, 01:45:52 PM »
Another option (however not stock), would be to purchase a high quality repro hood from Stangaholics. I bought one a coupe years ago, and I can say it is the upmost best quality reproduction Shelby hood I ever owned. It has all of the metal reinforcements inside the braces, so no future hood 'bowing' issues. Something to consider...

Yes, it is another option. And you're right, it isn't original. If that's not important, and if you're doing a full body repaint, the Stang-aholic option is a less expensive alternative. I don't see them mention anything besides the latch and hinge anchor plates as far as reinforcements go. I re-use those originals plus add more stiffening in the rails. And, I can do this to a *finished painted hood. [*This obviously requires adequate masking so the finish paint has to stand up to that. A combination of liquid latex masking and tapes can usually do the job of protecting the top surface but if there are signs of existing delamination, that likely will not work.]

427hunter

• SAAC Member
  • Caretaker of 1969 gt500 #602 and 1966 gt350 #853
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: May 02, 2022, 07:21:06 PM »
Or just leave it also .
“You keep using that word, I do not think it means what you think it means”

Inigo Montoya

“This life’s hard, man, but it’s harder if you’re stupid”

Jackie Brown

2000 hours of my life stolen by 602 over three years

kansascarguy

• View Profile
« Reply #5 on: May 03, 2022, 09:47:16 AM »
Or just leave it also .

Well yeah. And I could have left that "Mommie" tattoo (on my forehead), skin tags (on my eyelids), and 5 missing teeth alone - but I got those things fixed. And now look at me!

Just messing with you, pal. I'm only here to let others know that if they want to fix those ugly hood gaps, I'm able to help. 

KerryBWhite

• View Profile
« Reply #6 on: May 03, 2022, 10:46:30 AM »
Or just leave it also .

Then it is truely Original!!

crossboss

• ^My Current Project^
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: May 09, 2022, 06:20:08 PM »
Or just leave it also .

Well yeah. And I could have left that "Mommie" tattoo (on my forehead), skin tags (on my eyelids), and 5 missing teeth alone - but I got those things fixed. And now look at me!

Just messing with you, pal. I'm only here to let others know that if they want to fix those ugly hood gaps, I'm able to help.

I would not have used George Clooney as an example. CJ Miles, yes! Google her...lol
Past owned Shelby's:
1968 GT-350--Gold
1970 GT-500--#3129--Grabber Orange.
Current lifelong projects:
1969 Mustang Fastback/FOX chassis, 5 speed, 4 wheel discs, with a modern Can-Am 494 (Boss 429), Kaase heads, intake with a 1425 cfm 'B' Autolite Inline carb, ala Trans-Am style
1968/70 Olds 442 W-30

427hunter

• SAAC Member
  • Caretaker of 1969 gt500 #602 and 1966 gt350 #853
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: May 09, 2022, 10:45:38 PM »
It should have read - or leave it alone. I don’t care what you do with your cars, mine will stay original.
“You keep using that word, I do not think it means what you think it means”

Inigo Montoya

“This life’s hard, man, but it’s harder if you’re stupid”

Jackie Brown

2000 hours of my life stolen by 602 over three years