Author Topic: Interesting Photo Of 0100  (Read 2643 times)

TA Coupe

• View Profile
Re: Interesting Photo Of 0100
« Reply #15 on: May 19, 2022, 10:48:55 PM »
The oil cooler looks just like a transam boss 302 one that they used it, was made by Harrison and I believe they came out of helicopters.

Roy
If it starts it's streetable.
Overkill is just enough.

67411F--0100-ENG.

• SAAC Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: May 19, 2022, 11:07:29 PM »
The oil cooler looks just like a transam boss 302 one that they used it, was made by Harrison and I believe they came out of helicopters.

Roy

Here are a couple of photos of the engine oil cooler currently installed on 0100.  I did not go so far as to cut the grille for one of the lines, but I think what is there looks pretty close.  It will look even closer if I add the light gauge metal ducting from the top of the grille back to the cooler.

Eric

Bob Gaines

• SAAC Member
  • Original Posts:14706
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: May 19, 2022, 11:33:03 PM »
I wonder if the bung was to check the oil temp as it came out of the engine - maybe another one at the exit of the cooler? Or..... for a gauge to check pressure drop on the enlarged system?
Now that you mention it the shape of what is coming out of the filter upon reexamination looks like it could be a thermocouple shape rather then a oil pressure hex shaped fitting. I was puzzled before when contemplating this odd set up because the 427 SC oil feed lines block adapter ( that was most likely used) has a provision for a oil pressure fitting which would eliminated the need for the odd set up on the filter in the picture if that was what it was for. Also with the oil pressure line run from the SC block adapter the oil line could take the regular production path to the gauge . If the line seen coming out of  the oil filter was a thermocouple used for temperature gauge readings it would all make more sense especially since Eric has confirmed from pictures of a oil temp gauge mounted between the oil pressure/amp gauge .
Bob Gaines,Shelby Enthusiast, Shelby Collector , Shelby Concours judge SAAC,MCA,Mid America Shelby

67411F--0100-ENG.

• SAAC Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #18 on: May 20, 2022, 01:47:13 AM »
I wonder if the bung was to check the oil temp as it came out of the engine - maybe another one at the exit of the cooler? Or..... for a gauge to check pressure drop on the enlarged system?
Now that you mention it the shape of what is coming out of the filter upon reexamination looks like it could be a thermocouple shape rather then a oil pressure hex shaped fitting. I was puzzled before when contemplating this odd set up because the 427 SC oil feed lines block adapter ( that was most likely used) has a provision for a oil pressure fitting which would eliminated the need for the odd set up on the filter in the picture if that was what it was for. Also with the oil pressure line run from the SC block adapter the oil line could take the regular production path to the gauge . If the line seen coming out of  the oil filter was a thermocouple used for temperature gauge readings it would all make more sense especially since Eric has confirmed from pictures of a oil temp gauge mounted between the oil pressure/amp gauge .

Hello Bob,

There first photo was taken by Pete Biro for the Car and Driver road test, which I believe took place in November.  It shows a single mount engine oil temperature gauge mounted under the dash to the right side of the standard Shelby gauge pod.  Look carefully and you can see the mounting bracket and the right side of the gauge bezel.  There was no engine oil cooler installed on the car at this time.

The second photo was taken by Bob D'Olivo on 12/12/66 for Motor Trend magazine.  The engine oil temperature gauge is no longer present.  So, it seems that once the engine oil cooler was installed they apparently believed the driver no longer needed to monitor engine oil temperature.

Eric

JD

• SAAC Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #19 on: May 20, 2022, 09:21:40 AM »
Photo of engine in Reply #11 lightened some...
'67 Shelby Headlight Bucket Grommets https://www.saacforum.com/index.php?topic=254.0
'67 Shelby Lower Grille Edge Protective Strip https://www.saacforum.com/index.php?topic=1237.0

67411F--0100-ENG.

• SAAC Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #20 on: May 22, 2022, 06:26:18 PM »
These are most likely the parts that SAI had "on the shelf" and were used for this unique and probably short lived setup. The oil filter mount and engine block adapter on the left is from a 427 S/C Cobra. The engine block adapter on the right is from a GT40 MKII. Either block adapter could have been used.

Bob Gaines

• SAAC Member
  • Original Posts:14706
    • View Profile
« Reply #21 on: May 22, 2022, 09:54:01 PM »
These are most likely the parts that SAI had "on the shelf" and were used for this unique and probably short lived setup. The oil filter mount and engine block adapter on the left is from a 427 S/C Cobra. The engine block adapter on the right is from a GT40 MKII. Either block adapter could have been used.
yes but the SC version on the left has a provision for a oil pressure fitting which was needed for the oil pressure gauge.
Bob Gaines,Shelby Enthusiast, Shelby Collector , Shelby Concours judge SAAC,MCA,Mid America Shelby