News:

We have implemented a Photo Gallery for hosting images right here on SAACFORUM. Check the How-To in News from HQ

Main Menu

Best Ford head for 347

Started by Shawn, May 15, 2022, 10:13:40 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Shawn

I'm building a 289 block into a 347 stroker and want to use Ford cast iron heads.  Any recommendation for choosing one casting over another?

shelbydoug

Best iron head available? Probably the iron 65-66 GT40 heads. Those flow around 230 cfm on the intakes. Stock 289 heads are around 195-200 cfm.

Cobra Automotive had some reproduced. The last I looked they were about $3500 bare.

Other then that the 69 351W head is what Ford was recommending as a performance substitute circa 1970.
68 GT350 Lives Matter!

crossboss

Quote from: Wedgeman on May 15, 2022, 04:28:13 PM
n 351 HEADS ?

IF you use these, special rockers needed.

Use the cheap, and excellent newer GT-40P heads. They out flow the older 351W heads. You will need to use 'P' headers. Maybe, earlier cast iron manifolds like K Hi-Po or '69-'70 Windsor manifolds will clear the plugs(?).
That being said, why not use the newer alum heads like Trick Flow or AFR's?
Past owned Shelby's:
1968 GT-350--Gold
1970 GT-500--#3129--Grabber Orange.
Current lifelong projects:
1969 Mustang Fastback/FOX chassis, 5 speed, 4 wheel discs, with a modern Can-Am 494 (Boss 429), Kaase heads, intake with a 1425 cfm 'B' Autolite Inline carb, ala Trans-Am style
1968/70 Olds 442 W-30

pbf777

Quote from: shelbydoug on May 15, 2022, 11:31:04 AM
Other then that the 69 351W head ..............

Note that the C9OE and then the D0OE casting made into 1974 are as far as the subject here are the same.   ;)

Scott.

Shawn

All good information and thanks for the advise.  This car is just going to be a cruiser so no trips to the drag strip.  I'm trying to keep the nostalgia look with the iron heads and considered aluminum painted engine color.  Once I've considered all the options and their +/- may end up with aluminum.  To the points made above I have the following questions

- I am going to run a repo Cobra or Edelbrock F4B intake.  Will Windsor heads fit this arrangment?
- I've already purchased my headers so GT40P is out.  How about the GT40 iron would that be a good choice?

Thanks

shelbydoug

Quote from: Shawn on May 15, 2022, 05:59:48 PM
All good information and thanks for the advise.  This car is just going to be a cruiser so no trips to the drag strip.  I'm trying to keep the nostalgia look with the iron heads and considered aluminum painted engine color.  Once I've considered all the options and their +/- may end up with aluminum.  To the points made above I have the following questions

- I am going to run a repo Cobra or Edelbrock F4B intake.  Will Windsor heads fit this arrangment?
- I've already purchased my headers so GT40P is out.  How about the GT40 iron would that be a good choice?

Thanks

If it is just a cruiser then why bother with anything trick? Just use 289 or 302 heads.

You can use the COBRA high rise with any of them. However, there are lots of ways to be nostalgic.
68 GT350 Lives Matter!

crossboss

Quote from: shelbydoug on May 15, 2022, 07:01:17 PM

Thanks

If it is just a cruiser then why bother with anything trick? Just use 289 or 302 heads.

You can use the COBRA high rise with any of them. However, there are lots of ways to be nostalgic.

Agree. IF it were my engine for a 'street cruiser', my two choices would be, 1-late model 5.0 HO heads, or 2-alum. Edelbrock Performer heads. Simple, cheap, reliable and good performance with out breaking the bank. My worthless two cents...
Past owned Shelby's:
1968 GT-350--Gold
1969 Mustang Fastback/FOX chassis, 5 speed, 4 wheel discs, with a modern Can-Am 494 (Boss 429), Kaase heads, intake with a 1425 cfm 'B' Autolite Inline carb, ala Trans-Am style
1968/70 Olds 442 W-30

Bob Gaines

Thanks
Why not just paint the aluminum heads with the engine? I have known people who machine off any aftermarket mfg marks for that more stock look.
Bob Gaines,Shelby Enthusiast, Shelby Collector , Shelby Concours judge SAAC,MCA,Mid America Shelby

Shawn

The GT40 Aluminum head seems to have very good flow and resembles the original cast head more than other options.  I'll be shopping for a set at Ford Carlisle in a few weeks.

mark p

Quote from: Shawn on May 15, 2022, 08:10:53 PM
The GT40 Aluminum head seems to have very good flow and resembles the original cast head more than other options.  I'll be shopping for a set at Ford Carlisle in a few weeks.

I don't know where Randy went  ??? but he helped me with suggestions for  my "stock looking" set up with Ford heads and the F4B.
These are the X307 heads, painted with the engine... I'm trying for a stealthy look.

Good luck with your project  8)
"I don't know what the world may need, but a V8 engine's a good start for me" (from Teen Angst by the band "Cracker")

66 Tiger / 65 Thunderbird

shelbydoug

I would personally recommend or would have recommended aluminum heads but that was not the criteria of the OP.

I think that you will find that the aluminum heads do not hold the engine paint well.

The Ford X heads are the best of the Ford aluminum heads but the AFR 185's are probably where you want to be?

The exhaust ports on the iron '82 and up GT heads are dismal with something like 80cfm flow numbers. You can actually see that with the ridiculous "stainless shorty headers" the factory installed on those cars.

At this point you do not want to make a decision for nostalgia look and find out you have terrible nostalgia performance.

Are you intending to use a GT350 Lemans bowl carb also?
68 GT350 Lives Matter!

Shawn

After good advise here (as always) and watching dyno result comparisons I think I'm going with aluminum heads.  Have not decided on fuel delivery but I'm considering the Holley Sniper.  The image posted by Mark is the look I'm going for.

mikeh

AFR are top quality cylinder heads, fwiw

crossboss

Guys,
Remember, a 'street engine' with comparable iron or alum heads will be only around 10-20 horsepower difference among them. Alum heads will require more static compression over an iron version because of heat loss. Don't believe the 'magazines' that say you can bolt on 50-100 HP with just a set of heads. On a HP/race engine, yes. Keep your build reasonable, don't go hog wild on a cruiser/pleasure driver. Also, the Ford Motorsport/FPP 'X' heads are out of stock and not made anymore. There are other alternatives out there, with comparable performance. 'I' would keep your intake valve size to 1.94 for good velocity and good street manners. That said, IF you are looking for more, Trick Flow and AFR's would be on my list. Have fun!
Past owned Shelby's:
1968 GT-350--Gold
1968/70 Olds 442 W-30