Author Topic: Hagerty article: Legends of the GT 350H: Fact, Fiction and Hertz's Rent-a-Racer  (Read 2676 times)

Coralsnake

• SAAC Member
  • The original Influencer
    • View Profile
    • theCoralsnake.com
Greg does a good job.  8)

greekz

• SAAC Member
    • View Profile
Cool article, thanks for posting the link.
SFM 6S1134  '67 GT-350 #2339

Bob Gaines

• SAAC Member
  • Original Posts:14706
    • View Profile
A very enjoyable read. Greg is the man. ;D
Bob Gaines,Shelby Enthusiast, Shelby Collector , Shelby Concours judge SAAC,MCA,Mid America Shelby

FL SAAC

• SAAC Member
    • View Profile
Great write up,  thanks for sharing
Living RENT FREE in your minds...

Home of the Hertz Musketeers 

A person without a sense of humor is like a wagon without springs.  It's jolted by every pebble on the road

I have all UNGOLD cars

I am certainly not a Shelby Expert

Life is short B happy

98SVT - was 06GT

• SAAC Member
    • View Profile
Several classic and sports-car value guides rate the value of a former Hertz-rental GT350 as now 10 to 20 percent above that of a GT350 built for dealer sale.

I knew I sold too soon - Red with Mico cylinder - delivered by Hi Performance Motors to Hertz at LAX. All the good auction boosters except for the top going down.
Previous owner 6S843 - GT350H & 68 GT500 Convert #135.
Mine: GT1 Mustang Track Toy, 1998 SVT Cobra, Wife's: 2004 Tbird
Member since 1975 - priceless

6s1640

• View Profile
"Kernels of Truth" - This weekend at a swap meet, I met a guy that claims he was at a fellow hobbyist place that showed him two complete GT350H drive trains sitting in a barn.  The story goes that the hobbyist and his buddy rented two GT350H's back in the day and swapped out the engines, returning to Hertz "oblivious to the shenanigans".  It is hard to believe, if you consider the logistics.  Two complete LoPo drive trains are needed to make the swap before the act was done.  The donor engines would have been easier from salvage yard.  Coming from two new Mustangs would have been too much planning, to buy or steal in advance of the swap.  Either approach would have required some thinking and time to execute.  "It makes for a good tale..."  Should I follow up?

Take care

Cory

Bob Gaines

• SAAC Member
    • View Profile
Heaven help you if your car came with the MICO master cylinder from SA is what I say. It used to be thought of as having bragging rights if your Hertz car was equipped with the out of the ordinary MICO. At least to owners until they had to work on a brake system or pay to have someone work on that had one . The MICO master is a pain in the a$$ if you have ever had to work on one compared to the stock disc brake Master. They didn't work well to begin with compared to the stock disc brake master cylinder.  As Greg mentioned in his article the pedal feel can be crazy especially when spirited driving.  Various fork lift applications are what they are most commonly seen on.  Recent not replied to wanted to buy posts here show illustrate how hard they are to find rebuild kits and other parts for. That is not a recent development.  They are a interesting historical footnote in Hertz car history but a pain .
Bob Gaines,Shelby Enthusiast, Shelby Collector , Shelby Concours judge SAAC,MCA,Mid America Shelby

Rocket

• View Profile
6S550 came with a Mico, and it works great. Ron
Original owner of 6S550. Owned since 1967. 64,000 Miles, all body original except hood and front valance. All glass original except windshield. Still has aluminum 4 speed. Has replacement Mico.  Also own 1966 Mustang convertible. They are drivers, not trailer queens.

98SVT - was 06GT

• SAAC Member
    • View Profile
  "It makes for a good tale..."  Should I follow up?
Sure they'd have VINs that Howard could confirm in a heartbeat if they came from Hertz cars.

Heaven help you if your car came with the MICO master cylinder from SA ..... The MICO master is a pain in the a$$ if you have ever had to work on one compared to the stock disc brake Master.

Parts is parts - just a few more of them to put back in the right spot. Never had a bit of a problem with the one in 843. https://www.mico.com/sites/default/files/document-pdfs/81460156Boosted%20Master%20Cylinder.pdf
Previous owner 6S843 - GT350H & 68 GT500 Convert #135.
Mine: GT1 Mustang Track Toy, 1998 SVT Cobra, Wife's: 2004 Tbird
Member since 1975 - priceless

FL SAAC

• SAAC Member
    • View Profile
Good Lawd heaven help us, what is this monstrosity?

Frakencylinder....
Living RENT FREE in your minds...

Home of the Hertz Musketeers 

A person without a sense of humor is like a wagon without springs.  It's jolted by every pebble on the road

I have all UNGOLD cars

I am certainly not a Shelby Expert

Life is short B happy

S7MS427

• View Profile
    • S-Tech Enterprises, LLC
Here is a link to my website with the information that was in the rebuild kit I bought in the early eighties to rebuild 817's MICO: file:///media/rgsimkins3/UUI/Shelby_Web_Pages/66_GT350H/MICO_MC/MICO_MC.htm.  Interestingly enough, when I told the guy on the phone that I needed a kit for a 704B1, he said "Oh, Shelby Mustang".  I've never had any trouble with the MC and it worked flawlessly the one time I had to make a panic stop.  Hope this helps.
Roy Simkins
http://www.S-TechEnt.com/Shelby.htm
1966 G.T.350H SFM6S817
1967 G.T.500 67400F7A03040

GT350Lad

• SAAC Member
  • Trent
    • View Profile
Great read, thanks for sharing
6S373
6S1276

deathsled

• SAAC Member
    • View Profile
Several classic and sports-car value guides rate the value of a former Hertz-rental GT350 as now 10 to 20 percent above that of a GT350 built for dealer sale.

I knew I sold too soon - Red with Mico cylinder - delivered by Hi Performance Motors to Hertz at LAX. All the good auction boosters except for the top going down.

I am still glad you sold 843 to me.  Your action has greatly enriched my life.
"Low she sits on five spoke wheels
Small block eight so live she feels
There she's parked beside the curb
Engine revving to disturb
She's the princess from his past
Red paint gold stripes damned she's fast"

Bob Gaines

• SAAC Member
    • View Profile
Here is a link to my website with the information that was in the rebuild kit I bought in the early eighties to rebuild 817's MICO: file:///media/rgsimkins3/UUI/Shelby_Web_Pages/66_GT350H/MICO_MC/MICO_MC.htm.  Interestingly enough, when I told the guy on the phone that I needed a kit for a 704B1, he said "Oh, Shelby Mustang".  I've never had any trouble with the MC and it worked flawlessly the one time I had to make a panic stop.  Hope this helps.
Link does not work when I click on it. Says ,This site can’t be reached