Author Topic: Shifter mount plate or bracket for big block Toploader?  (Read 703 times)

BeaterGT500

• View Profile
Shifter mount plate or bracket for big block Toploader?
« on: April 29, 2023, 04:28:07 PM »
Does anyone have a picture of exactly what bracket (or plate, or mount) that goes between the shifter body and the tail housing for a stock Ford shifter and a stock big block Toploader?  The one I have puts the shifter in a weird position, it may be for a small block?  Better yet, anyone have one to sell?  I hate to install any aftermarket shifter just because I can’t find this correct missing piece.
Current custodian of 1967 GT500 #683, and a real Meyers Manx dune buggy. Also currently broke as a result.

azdriver

• View Profile
Re: Shifter mount plate or bracket for big block Toploader?
« Reply #1 on: April 29, 2023, 04:51:15 PM »
Here you go…

Pat

6s1640

• View Profile
« Reply #2 on: April 29, 2023, 10:53:14 PM »
The shifter assembly also has one lever that has a joggle of sort.  I have a complete set up if interested for exactly what you are asking.  I purchased from Bill Heeley some time ago.  I ended up with two sets now and have an extra.  If interested, I can send you some pictures.  Please let me know.

Best of luck

Cory

brandosaac

• View Profile
« Reply #3 on: May 04, 2023, 02:27:47 PM »
Does anyone have a picture of exactly what bracket (or plate, or mount) that goes between the shifter body and the tail housing for a stock Ford shifter and a stock big block Toploader?  The one I have puts the shifter in a weird position, it may be for a small block?  Better yet, anyone have one to sell?  I hate to install any aftermarket shifter just because I can’t find this correct missing piece.

When using the original shifter , There was never a plate for a small block car.

On a big block car  the shifter was slightly different, the reverse arm 9the one in the back) will have a slight bend towards the rear of the car when all arms are lined up tongther. Stick a phillips screwdriver shaft  or drill bit through the hole on the front center of the shifter mixing box, this puts your shifter in nuetral. Then look at the reverse arm in the rear. if its a small block shifter that arm will line up with the other 2 arms and point straight down, if its a big block shifter that reverse arm will have a bend facing the rear of the car.
Also for the bolt on factory kick back bracket to work , your shifter box frame (housing) will have an additional hole drilled that attaches to that bracket. you should see 2 holes basically on top of each other