Author Topic: Dennis Collins now claims his 67 mustang is 1477 - Dave?  (Read 21549 times)

rraceme

• View Profile
Re: Dennis Collins now claims his 67 mustang is 1477 - Dave?
« Reply #15 on: May 28, 2022, 09:32:59 AM »
Question - In the past, has there ever been a SAAC "approved or certified" car which did not have its original VIN? Maybe not the Dennis Collins car ........ but, in general, could a car be approved through SAAC using circumstantial documentation?

SAAC works incredibly hard to ensure accuracy in the chain of custody and integrity of each car. My gut tells me SAAC would NOT certify a car without its original VIN.

Does anyone know of any past examples? Thank you fred
« Last Edit: May 28, 2022, 11:12:43 AM by rraceme »
SFM 6S2227

Bill

• SAAC Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: May 28, 2022, 12:11:14 PM »
  its still half a car.
While I am no expert, I am not convinced at this time of the claims being made.

I'll wait for more definitive proof, one way or the other, before further judgement.

Bill

Instead of being part of the problem, be part of a successful solution.
HOW TO IDENTIFY A FORUM TROLL
https://www.saacforum.com/index.php?topic=16401.0

98SVT - was 06GT

• SAAC Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: May 28, 2022, 12:34:32 PM »
My gut tells me SAAC would NOT certify a car without its original VIN.

SAAC does not "certify" cars. They will issue you a letter that the Ford VIN you provided and stated is on your car matches the records they have from back in the day. They will not give you info from just a Ford or just a Shelby VIN.
This car is a prime example of fishing. They started with a Ford VIN and a SA # guess. When Dave said - nope wrong color and your sheetmetal dates are too early he let them know they had to go back to the drawing board. They moved onto a new method and searched for the batch of cars where the VIN would fit then looked for a missing car and got lucky. No one has mentioned if the sheetmetal dates would be correct for 1477.
Never forget there are some (said to be 28) "air" Cobras in the registry that were created from the mere fact that the original titles had been surrendered to CA DMV as totaled.
Don't worry Dennis bought the car right - now he's trying to bump the payday with a convoluted tale of ifs and maybes that he'll tell you "proves" it's a 1 of 1 Shelby worth far more than what he's asking for it. Never forget he's first and foremost a car salesman.
Previous owner 6S843 - GT350H & 68 GT500 Convert #135.
Mine: GT1 Mustang Track Toy, 1998 SVT Cobra, Wife's: 2004 Tbird
Member since 1975 - priceless

427hunter

• SAAC Member
  • Caretaker of 1969 gt500 #602 and 1966 gt350 #853
    • View Profile
« Reply #18 on: May 28, 2022, 12:39:05 PM »
Can you title a car from just the tranny #s?!?! :o

good point, no you can't.
“You keep using that word, I do not think it means what you think it means”

Inigo Montoya

“This life’s hard, man, but it’s harder if you’re stupid”

Jackie Brown

2000 hours of my life stolen by 602 over three years

JD

• SAAC Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #19 on: May 28, 2022, 12:49:16 PM »
Monkey Shines!
'67 Shelby Headlight Bucket Grommets https://www.saacforum.com/index.php?topic=254.0
'67 Shelby Lower Grille Edge Protective Strip https://www.saacforum.com/index.php?topic=1237.0

FL SAAC

• SAAC Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #20 on: May 28, 2022, 01:03:20 PM »
This is THEATER,  great ACTING,  get comfy in your chairs get some popcorn, soda, milk duds, raisinets and watch the show.

Can't wait until "THE OTHER MOVIE" comes out to tge theatre and starts to play "WE FOUND JIMMYS CAR" that's gona be a doooooozieeeeee!
Living RENT FREE in your minds...

Home of the Hertz Musketeers 

A person without a sense of humor is like a wagon without springs.  It's jolted by every pebble on the road

I have all UNGOLD cars

I am certainly not a Shelby Expert

Life is short B happy

• 1967 gt500 since 82 NFS!
    • View Profile
« Reply #21 on: May 28, 2022, 01:08:52 PM »
Got Jim’s car in my garage.Unfortunately Ca.DMV got vin (and color) wrong  when Mr. Morrison registered it.Oh yeah,they got the license plate # wrong as well…Any takers???? :o

FL SAAC

• SAAC Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #22 on: May 28, 2022, 01:14:27 PM »
Got Jim’s car in my garage.Unfortunately Ca.DMV got vin (and color) wrong  when Mr. Morrison registered it.Oh yeah,they got the license plate # wrong as well…Any takers???? :o

First thanks for sending me your picture on Jimmys car, the  buyer was not at all pleased with it....
Living RENT FREE in your minds...

Home of the Hertz Musketeers 

A person without a sense of humor is like a wagon without springs.  It's jolted by every pebble on the road

I have all UNGOLD cars

I am certainly not a Shelby Expert

Life is short B happy

Wedgeman

• View Profile
« Reply #23 on: May 28, 2022, 01:24:22 PM »
Dennis loves to toss the  " HOLY GRAIL "  phrase onto many of his finds, hoping that will up the ante for potential buyers..and this car will be another. It always amuses me that he has always wanted  "one of these"  yet immediately puts it up for sale....just wondering Dennis, what is the going rate for   HALF OF A HOLY GRAIL ?... ::)

Harris Speedster

• View Profile
« Reply #24 on: May 28, 2022, 01:28:06 PM »
Does anybody remember what happened in Texas that almost got Shelby himself taken down?
All regarding serial numbers and stories.
My good friend C Brown went down and bought some of the dealers inventory and a car or two.
Elenore Mustangs ?

ISN'T there a picture of this 67 race car when it was black in a SAAC topic to refresh memories? maybe page 6,  Shelby #1444 one in Chicago race car>> topic header?
« Last Edit: May 28, 2022, 03:02:02 PM by Harris Speedster »
Is this the first futuristic exotic in the world?
Size of an ac cobra, but built in 1935 !
https://www.autopuzzles.com/forum/features-stories-and-photos/harris-fwd-speedster-the-story/?PHPSESSID=v4pqtv6hep4ff4rvalrc9qsnj7

shelbydoug

• SAAC Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #25 on: May 28, 2022, 01:35:43 PM »
If the data that the 67 Registrar has indicates that the sheet metal mfg dates are too early for 1444, then presuming that 1777 is an even newer car, how can the sheet metal dates be about correct for it?
68 GT350 Lives Matter!

A-Snake

• View Profile
« Reply #26 on: May 28, 2022, 01:48:46 PM »
If the data that the 67 Registrar has indicates that the sheet metal mfg dates are too early for 1444, then presuming that 1777 is an even newer car, how can the sheet metal dates be about correct for it?

I think he is claiming 1477, not 1777.

shelbydoug

• SAAC Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #27 on: May 28, 2022, 02:20:43 PM »

I think he is claiming 1477, not 1777.

Perhaps but one of the pretenses of "management" since time is ultimately limited that a proportional amount should be applied according to importance of the issue?
Times up. See ya'.  :)
68 GT350 Lives Matter!

98SVT - was 06GT

• SAAC Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #28 on: May 28, 2022, 02:27:18 PM »
Does anybody remember what happened in Texas that almost got Shelby himself taken down?
All regarding serial numbers and stories.

CS was never in danger on that one - he only issued the license to Unique.
Where he got nailed was with the 427 chassis' he "found" in the warehouse. Once DMV learned of the scheme they cancelled all the titles he had gotten issued for the cars. Those serial numbers got blacklisted and can never be street licensed. However all was not lost SA eventually offered the serial numbers on continuation cars with the proviso that they were "off highway" only.
Previous owner 6S843 - GT350H & 68 GT500 Convert #135.
Mine: GT1 Mustang Track Toy, 1998 SVT Cobra, Wife's: 2004 Tbird
Member since 1975 - priceless

427heaven

• View Profile
« Reply #29 on: May 28, 2022, 07:33:40 PM »
All we need is his business partner Dick Rollins to get involved , give us a WHOO-HOO and play the 1 of 1 card and we would have the trifecta. They were entertaining to watch for awhile but not over and over. Like a broken record it needs to be turned off after it repeats, repeats, repeats, you get the point, some of his cars win the full PINNOCHIO award. Lets wait and see where it goes.