Author Topic: Dennis Collins now claims his 67 mustang is 1477 - Dave?  (Read 21551 times)

rcgt350

• View Profile
Re: Dennis Collins now claims his 67 mustang is 1477 - Dave?
« Reply #60 on: May 31, 2022, 01:28:39 AM »
Was there any mention of a cutout/knockout in the LH upper corner of the rad support for the Paxton?
And Voltage Regulator screw holes on the left front apron, unless that apron was completely removed?

Coralsnake

• SAAC Member
  • The original Influencer
    • View Profile
    • theCoralsnake.com
« Reply #61 on: May 31, 2022, 07:03:22 AM »
There is no radiator support. There are no inner fender aprons, no shock towers, no firewall, no front frame rails , no floor, no doors, no original fiberglass, no door window glass, no windshield, no engine.

No serial numbers, no title.

:o

« Last Edit: May 31, 2022, 08:42:45 AM by Coralsnake »

daltondavid

• SAAC Member
  • 2005 FORD GT #991
    • View Profile
« Reply #62 on: May 31, 2022, 10:20:11 AM »
In the video with Brian Stiles, Dennis flashes a blow up of a photo showing kids and a dog. in the background is 3 cars. One appears to be a 67 Shelby with LeMans stripes. He claims that is this car. Yet this drag car has Super Snake stripes ( wide center with thin sides ) over top.
Founding father of SAACFORUM.COM

mustang245

• View Profile
« Reply #63 on: May 31, 2022, 11:24:05 AM »
Someone in the comments section for the first video claims to have sold the previous owner the leaf springs. 

68countrysedan

• View Profile
« Reply #64 on: May 31, 2022, 01:06:51 PM »
Is not the standard extraordinary claims require extraordinary proof?

mark p

• SAAC Member
  • south NJ - Philly 'burbs
    • View Profile
« Reply #65 on: May 31, 2022, 01:14:22 PM »
There is no radiator support. There are no inner fender aprons, no shock towers, no firewall, no front frame rails , no floor, no doors, no original fiberglass, no door window glass, no windshield, no engine.

^^^ = "no Shelby" ??  ??? ::)
"I don't know what the world may need, but a V8 engine's a good start for me" (from Teen Angst by the band "Cracker")

66 Tiger / 65 Thunderbird

98SVT - was 06GT

• SAAC Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #66 on: May 31, 2022, 01:55:48 PM »
Who is Dennis Collins? Never heard of the person.

Jeep dealer in Texas with more money than brains. He was the money behind Gas Monkey garage and Richard Rawlings.
Previous owner 6S843 - GT350H & 68 GT500 Convert #135.
Mine: GT1 Mustang Track Toy, 1998 SVT Cobra, Wife's: 2004 Tbird
Member since 1975 - priceless

Thomas

• View Profile
« Reply #67 on: June 01, 2022, 07:30:34 AM »
I’ve sat back and kept quiet for a couple years and listened to all of the conspiracy theories and bashing from so many, including some of you guys….

To the ones who helped me and we’re supportive, I thank you very much. Every email and text helped me to get one step closer to solving the cars origin (1477).

Truth be told, When I first discovered this car and brought it home to Detroit from Chicago,, I found the transmission VIN stamp which was caked in grease & dirt. I immediately contacted Dave Mathews that day with as found car pictures and also with the VIN sequence (from the trans).

He knowingly mislead me as to the true identity of the transmission was. His words were that it was from a late ‘67 build and that it was from a Green GT350. Stated that all I had was a Old cut up Mustang.
Also, to add to his dishonesty, he fabricated a long story of how the green car had been stolen and recovered minus the driveline. He advised me that I’d be best for me  to remain silent about the car and the transmission because it could “open up a can of worms”.

He warned me that I could be opening myself up to legality issues because of the stolen status of the transmission…..  I have all of the original emails and conversations to back up everything I’ve said for anyone wanting to doubt me.

Also, for the doubters… reread my original posts regarding the car, the date codes that I shared and also the additional part and panel stamps DO in fact match with the 1477 build dates. It’s very easy to sit back and throw stones when you haven’t seen the car in person. There have now been respected and knowledgeable Shelby experts who agree as to the cars true origin. (1477)

Had he been honest from the start, this could have been an amazing find for the SAAC group as I came here to you guys first for help. I laid every piece of data out there for you openly and honestly.
Unfortunately for myself, We sold the car at an exact break even amount and it quiet honestly wasn’t much at all. Trust me. My cousin and myself wanted the car to go to someone who had the horsepower to take it to the next level, and hopefully someone with the ability to treat this car with the respect it deserves. I no longer own the car, so I have zero to gain by stating the facts. I’m not angry at Dave or the group, just extremely disappointed in how things were handled.

As owners and caretakers of such a rare brand, I feel that it’s your duty & obligation to try and find the true history of existing and also missing units when they come to light. I know that the car was butchered, but had you taken the time to help, rather than bash my attempts, this could have been a completely different outcome.

So this post will most likely get taken down and deleted very soon because it states some facts that some will find offensive, but I’m posting the facts as they happened. I feel that the group deserves to hear how Dave handled this situation. I completely understand the concept of protecting the breed from fishing expeditions to match VIN’s, but this was blatant. I now wish that I had posted the trans numbers from the start.
« Last Edit: June 01, 2022, 07:39:34 AM by Thomas »

Bill

• SAAC Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #68 on: June 01, 2022, 07:46:24 AM »
I’ve sat back and kept quiet for a couple years and listened to all of the conspiracy theories and bashing from so many, including some of you guys….

To the ones who helped me and we’re supportive, I thank you very much. Every email and text helped me to get one step closer to solving the cars origin (1477).

Truth be told, When I first discovered this car and brought it home to Detroit from Chicago,, I found the transmission VIN stamp which was caked in grease & dirt. I immediately contacted Dave Mathews that day with as found car pictures and also with the VIN sequence (from the trans).

He knowingly mislead me as to the true identity of the transmission was. His words were that it was from a late ‘67 build and that it was from a Green GT350. Stated that all I had was a Old cut up Mustang.
Also, to add to his dishonesty, he fabricated a long story of how the green car had been stolen and recovered minus the driveline. He advised me that I’d be best for me  to remain silent about the car and the transmission because it could “open up a can of worms”.

He warned me that I could be opening myself up to legality issues because of the stolen status of the transmission…..  I have all of the original emails and conversations to back up everything I’ve said for anyone wanting to doubt me.

Also, for the doubters… reread my original posts regarding the car, the date codes that I shared and also the additional part and panel stamps DO in fact match with the 1477 build dates. It’s very easy to sit back and throw stones when you haven’t seen the car in person. There have now been respected and knowledgeable Shelby experts who agree as to the cars true origin. (1477)

Had he been honest from the start, this could have been an amazing find for the SAAC group as I came here to you guys first for help. I laid every piece of data out there for you openly and honestly.
Unfortunately for myself, We sold the car at an exact break even amount and it quiet honestly wasn’t much at all. Trust me. My cousin and myself wanted the car to go to someone who had the horsepower to take it to the next level, and hopefully someone with the ability to treat this car with the respect it deserves. I no longer own the car, so I have zero to gain by stating the facts. I’m not angry at Dave or the group, just extremely disappointed in how things were handled.

As owners and caretakers of such a rare brand, I feel that it’s your duty & obligation to try and find the true history of existing and also missing units when they come to light. I know that the car was butchered, but had you taken the time to help, rather than bash my attempts, this could have been a completely different outcome.

So this post will most likely get taken down and deleted very soon because it states some facts that some will find offensive, but I’m posting the facts as they happened. I feel that the group deserves to hear how Dave handled this situation. I completely understand the concept of protecting the breed from fishing expeditions to match VIN’s, but this was blatant. I now wish that I had posted the trans numbers from the start.

Thomas,

While I am not taking sides other than to say the car is still in question, regardless of who "the shelby experts" are who saw the car, and are now hyping the car as one or another for their own personal gain. In addition, bold statements require cold, hard facts to back them up.

I wish you well, and will leave it at that.

Bill
Instead of being part of the problem, be part of a successful solution.
HOW TO IDENTIFY A FORUM TROLL
https://www.saacforum.com/index.php?topic=16401.0

Thomas

• View Profile
« Reply #69 on: June 01, 2022, 07:57:35 AM »
Bill,
The question of the car’s authenticity is not what this post was about. That burden falls squarely on Dennis’s shoulders now as he is the new advocate for the car.
My post was only to clear the air on a couple points….

I’m leaving it at that. I plan on no further involvement with the situation.

I also wish you the best and I truly hope that the situation with the car works out to be an incredible story.
« Last Edit: June 01, 2022, 08:00:01 AM by Thomas »

KDunne

• SAAC Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #70 on: June 01, 2022, 08:05:14 AM »

good points Pete.......But its a real shelby....good luck with that one

Coralsnake

• SAAC Member
  • The original Influencer
    • View Profile
    • theCoralsnake.com
« Reply #71 on: June 01, 2022, 08:17:17 AM »
Thomas, I believe your motivations are generally coming from an honest place.

Here is the issue as I see it. You are dealing with a group of people that have a lot of collective knowledge. When you make inaccurate statements and change the vehicle to fit your narrative, you are not doing yourself any favors.

You may be correct in your assumptions. Unfortunately, you are really fighting a losing battle.

capecodmustang.com

• View Profile
« Reply #72 on: June 01, 2022, 08:29:17 AM »
Thomas..

I gotta jump in....

I have long history with SAAC and with Dave Mathews.
Dave has been a real asset to the club and has been devoted to his responsibilities as a registrar.
It's upsetting to read that he "mislead you" about your transmission and your car and he did it purposely.
He would never do that or compromise his reputation.

Also, I know Dennis Collins.
I've purchased a couple Shelby's from him.
He's been upfront and honest about cars he offered me.

I'm not taking sides on this issue...
I don't know your car.

But I thought I should mention that I know both Dave and Dennis.
And they've both been a pleasure to know.

In this world I think we need to stand up for people and their reputation from time to time.
That's all I'm doing..

Bret Matteson

Thomas

• View Profile
« Reply #73 on: June 01, 2022, 08:35:24 AM »
Bret,

Unfortunately he would, and he did exactly that.

GT350DAVE

• View Profile
« Reply #74 on: June 01, 2022, 09:26:18 AM »
Hi Thomas,
I also have copies of all our correspondence and photos of the car when you purchased it. We went through the normal steps we go through to determine what you had. The rear Mustang clip was basically all that was left of the original car. There were some characteristics that led myself and others at the time to believe it was a clip from a Shelby.
SAAC's position, which was created over 30 years ago is we validate 1967 Shelby Mustangs from Ford Vin. chassis stampings. The front of this car no longer exists so it has no chassis stampings. SAAC does not recognize cars built from bolt on components like a transmission. If that were ever to occur, we would have all kinds of people claiming cars that no longer exist. Without chassis numbers, there is nothing further that SAAC can offer. This position was not well received.
The problem with this car is the people who were involved with it prior to Dennis altered it in an attempt to turn it into something it wasn't, most likely for the purpose of sale.
I think the car is a cool old race car and it's secrets are really in it's history as a race car. Hopefully the efforts to make it into a Shelby haven't covered up or altered any information that would relate to that.
Dave
Support the SAAC Registry