Author Topic: Can I find a lost GT500?  (Read 3372 times)

TGL

• View Profile
Re: Can I find a lost GT500?
« Reply #15 on: June 08, 2022, 04:13:09 PM »
Alrighty, so I got more info: It was a 68 GT500, Acapulco blue and was actually purchased in New Hampshire, not Maine at Nashua Ford. It had No A/C, and no power steering. He said the no P/S was Shelby's mistake and he was told they would pick it up from him and install it but he didnt want to waste the time. Also, he said the clutch was a POS and the spring mechanism never worked and half the time he had to use his toe to pick the clutch pedal back up after shifting. He retains no paper work on it and does not know the VIN.

What can we do with that info?

Coralsnake

• SAAC Member
  • The original Influencer
    • View Profile
    • theCoralsnake.com
« Reply #16 on: June 08, 2022, 05:52:52 PM »
So, the non franchise dealership is hard to trace. Once it left a franchise dealer the cars were not always kept track of...

I do see one sent to "Auto City" in Portsmouth, NH. The first known owner was a guy named Paul Hooper, Steve's name is not in the record
« Last Edit: June 08, 2022, 05:57:20 PM by Coralsnake »

98SVT - was 06GT

• SAAC Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: June 08, 2022, 07:04:17 PM »
I remember turning 16 in January of 1975, my Dad had saved a 1960 1/2 ton pickup truck from his racing team support vehicles. It needed brakes, the fuel system rebuilt, the transmission and clutch needed rebuilt of course the suspension and all of the other things needed rebuilt as well. He told me here is YOUR truck.

Now that's benevolent. I had my 28 Dodge that I had traded my 1/4 midget for in 8th grade. It was still needing work when I was able to drive so I swapped it to my dad for his 59 Ford Ranch Wagon. While I was rebuilding its engine he let me rebuild the engine in his 59 Anglia. He taught me how to pour bearings on that one. Drove the wagon until I bought my 54 Vette.
Previous owner 6S843 - GT350H & 68 GT500 Convert #135.
Mine: GT1 Mustang Track Toy, 1998 SVT Cobra, Wife's: 2004 Tbird
Member since 1975 - priceless

shelbymann1970

• SAAC Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #18 on: June 09, 2022, 07:57:19 AM »
Parents gave sister and I each a gas card. ....................

That would have been the day in our home. We were more of the can't pay for it - you don't need it sort of education :)

Don't recall my parents ever having credit cards until the 80-90's And working at a gas station while in high school credit cards were a rarity though maybe three or four in a whole business day
Same here. I remember having wads of cash and depositing some of  it as the day went on into the safe. Rarely did I get more than a few credit cards in a shift. I'm 62 and have NEVER paid interest on a credit card in my life but have gotten a lot of $$$$ back from using my cards over the years.
Shelby owner since 1984
SAAC member since 1990
1970 GT350 4 speed(owned since 1985).
  MCA gold 2003(not anymore)
1969 Mach1 428SCJ 4 speed R-code (owned since 2013)

shelby69

• View Profile
« Reply #19 on: June 20, 2022, 10:27:59 AM »
Hi. This is what I did to track down old cars I owned. If you know what the license plate number was or have a picture of the car and you can see the license plate number in the photo. You can have the DMV do a search on all your cars with that plate number. The results will bring up plate number and the vin # . I went to the DMV website and filled out the form , I think my state was $15 ,  printed out the form and mailed it in , a month or two later got all the info in the mail. I don't know how far they can go back in the records , but I got back to 1982 on mine .  Once you have the vin#  you will be able to do a lot more. I'm from New Jersey and this is what I did. Hope it helps.

capecodmustang.com

• View Profile
« Reply #20 on: June 20, 2022, 11:19:10 AM »
Alrighty, so I got more info: It was a 68 GT500, Acapulco blue and was actually purchased in New Hampshire, not Maine at Nashua Ford. It had No A/C, and no power steering. He said the no P/S was Shelby's mistake and he was told they would pick it up from him and install it but he didnt want to waste the time. Also, he said the clutch was a POS and the spring mechanism never worked and half the time he had to use his toe to pick the clutch pedal back up after shifting. He retains no paper work on it and does not know the VIN.

What can we do with that info?

I had a 68 GT 500 a couple years back...
Bought it in Maine but it had NH history...

Car # 729...
Blue/4 speed with no AC

capecodmustang.com

• View Profile
« Reply #21 on: June 20, 2022, 11:35:24 AM »
Photo of 68 GT 500 that I owned about 18 months ago..

It had NH history..

« Last Edit: June 20, 2022, 01:22:46 PM by capecodmustang.com »

Grumpy

• View Profile
« Reply #22 on: June 21, 2022, 05:55:04 PM »
Grappone in Concord NH. Was a dealer in NH. Use to go up there a lot as a 16 year old kid.  8)