News:

We have implemented a Photo Gallery for hosting images right here on SAACFORUM. Check the How-To in News from HQ

Main Menu

Can I find a lost GT500?

Started by TGL, May 28, 2022, 10:48:06 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

TGL

Hello there, over the years my stepfather has spoken about his GT500 as one of the fonder memories of his lifetime. He loves recalling dragging anything of the day that pulled up next to him at a red light. Although I don't hold much hope that the car still exists given it was originally a Maine car and he drove it hard 365 days a year, I would like to try and figure that out and share with him whatever story it had after his time with it. I know it was sold by a dealership somewhere in mid-coast Maine and of course his name, but I dont have much detail past that. I am not even exactly sure the year, it was either a 67 or a 68 I believe. I also know he traded in his 65 GT350 for it.  Is there anyway to extrapolate from that to find out more about the car and where it might be if it is still around? Thanks.

TA Coupe

I would think that his name would be a bit of a help To start with.

Roy
If it starts it's streetable.
Overkill is just enough.

Coralsnake

I believe there was only one or two Shelby dealers in Maine. So it can be done.

Color of car, interior, transmission type, if it had AC would all be helpful information.

You have to give a little to get something.

Does he have any photos?

Email me Coralsnake68@hotmail.com

427heaven

If he had that close of a relationship with his car driving it everyday of the year, he certainly would remember the number of the car... Lets start there!

JD

Quote from: TA Coupe on May 29, 2022, 01:17:09 AM
I would think that his name would be a bit of a help To start with.

Roy

^^^^ very good place to start and contact the:
SAAC '67 Registrar, dmathews@prodigy.net
and the
SAAC '68 Registrar, 68registrar@saac.com

'67 Shelby Headlight Bucket Grommets https://www.saacforum.com/index.php?topic=254.0
'67 Shelby Lower Grille Edge Protective Strip https://www.saacforum.com/index.php?topic=1237.0

98SVT - was 06GT

Quote from: 427heaven on May 29, 2022, 11:51:36 AM
If he had that close of a relationship with his car driving it everyday of the year, he certainly would remember the number of the car... Lets start there!
Car serial numbers weren't a thing then. We all remembered our license plate numbers because we wrote them on the gas receipts - that way dad knew which kid to charge.
Previous owner 6S843 - GT350H & 68 GT500 Convert #135.
Mine: GT1 Mustang Track Toy, 1998 SVT Cobra, Wife's: 2004 Tbird
Member since 1975 - priceless

J_Speegle

Quote from: 98SVT - was 06GT on May 29, 2022, 03:07:18 PM
Car serial numbers weren't a thing then. We all remembered our license plate numbers because we wrote them on the gas receipts - that way dad knew which kid to charge.

+1 Doubt many or almost none of us have memorized the VIN of any of the cars we bought as daily transportation even if we bought them new. Just like other details on the car under the hood for example. Didn't make it any faster which was often our narrow focus.  Don't remember having a gas receipt ever either but maybe different eras and different experiences for each of us
Jeff Speegle- Mustang & Shelby detail collector, ConcoursMustang.com mentor :) and Judge

capecodmustang.com

Quote from: J_Speegle on May 29, 2022, 03:44:23 PM

+1 Doubt many or almost none of us have memorized the VIN of any of the cars we bought as daily transportation even if we bought them new. Just like other details on the car under the hood for example. Didn't make it any faster which was often our narrow focus.  Don't remember having a gas receipt ever either but maybe different eras and different experiences for each of us

Well said...
I probably had 30 Shelby's before I realized VINS etc etc....

98SVT - was 06GT

Don't remember having a gas receipt ever either but maybe different eras and different experiences for each of us

Parents gave sister and I each a gas card. When the bill came at the end of the month we had to anti up the $ for any gas we charged. Good lessons even today pay it off and avoid the interest charges.

J_Speegle

Quote from: 98SVT - was 06GT on May 29, 2022, 05:52:43 PM
Parents gave sister and I each a gas card. ....................

That would have been the day in our home. We were more of the can't pay for it - you don't need it sort of education :)

Don't recall my parents ever having credit cards until the 80-90's And working at a gas station while in high school credit cards were a rarity though maybe three or four in a whole business day
Jeff Speegle- Mustang & Shelby detail collector, ConcoursMustang.com mentor :) and Judge

FL SAAC

Don't remember having a gas receipt ever either but maybe different eras and different experiences for each of us

Parents gave sister and I each a gas card. When the bill came at the end of the month we had to anti up the $ for any gas we charged. Good lessons even today pay it off and avoid the interest charges.

Very benevolent parents,  cash or pushed for me
Living RENT FREE in your minds

All Time Post Count King !

Home of the "Amazing Hertz 3 + 1 Musketeers"

FL SAAC Simply the Best, much Better than ALL the Rest.

I have all UNGOLD cars

I am certainly not a Shelby Expert

TGL

His name is Steve Sprague. I am trying to do this without his knowledge because I think it would be a cool thing to surprise him with if I can find it, and if I cant I probably just wont mention it. Are there not records available showing who bought each car? From there I think it should be as simple as using the VIn to do the rest, no?

Coralsnake

There are records. Although they are not always complete.

...and it can be done

Contact the 1967 Registrar, it does not appear to be a 1968.

SAAC '67 Registrar, dmathews@prodigy.net

More than likely you will need more information.

98SVT - was 06GT

Quote from: FL SAAC on May 30, 2022, 06:10:40 PM

More like don't call me in the middle of the night if you are out of gas. Also they wanted to make sure we had no excuse for not making it to high school and college.

JohnSlack

Quote from: FL SAAC on May 30, 2022, 06:10:40 PM

I remember turning 16 in January of 1975, my Dad had saved a 1960 1/2 ton pickup truck from his racing team support vehicles. It needed brakes, the fuel system rebuilt, the transmission and clutch needed rebuilt of course the suspension and all of the other things needed rebuilt as well. He told me here is YOUR truck. I had the use of one of his two El Caminos to use for getting parts. (Always had two El Caminos, when one died it got replaced with another.) That was how I was to get the parts for fixing MY truck. In I was to wash the El Camino he wasn't driving that day fill it with gas, vacuum it out and have it ready for the next day. My Dad was a fairly clean individual so not as bad as it sounds.....but the gas! He was not wanting to spend any time in the odd/even gasoline lines so the last thing I did every day was fill up the car.

So my friends thought I was spoiled, getting a shell, an Arco, a Union 76, and a Texaco gas card along with two El Caminos to drive to school and on occasion I drove my truck to school and run errands I was always given a list of "missions" to accomplish before the end of the day as well.

I learned how to repair everything on the truck and then started learning to fix everything on the El Caminos. That first summer after 10th grade because I kept listing of where the cars went, when they needed oil changes, plugs, etc. I was able to identify that my best friend who would go with me on the missions put 22,000 miles on the cars. I was so happy to have school start again. I made several trips to Tucson to pick up aircraft parts. Suffice it to say I had every receipt itemized as to where I went and why and they all had the license plate number on them, gas station attendants we're NOT keen on either leaving the number off or putting a different number on the gas receipt as people used the imprinted receipts as tax documents. My Dad's accountant chewed my butt out if I didn't make sure that the receipt was accurate. No VIN numbers except on work done at the dealership.

John