Author Topic: Anyone seen Randy  (Read 2388 times)

GT350Lad

• SAAC Member
  • Trent
    • View Profile
Anyone seen Randy
« on: May 30, 2022, 04:16:40 PM »
Hi guys, anyone heard from Randy? Just doing a welfare check? We where planning a part swap and he has vanished.
Now more keen to just know all is ok
Cheers
6S373
6S1276

crossboss

• ^My Current Project^
    • View Profile
Re: Anyone seen Randy
« Reply #1 on: May 30, 2022, 06:53:59 PM »
From what I heard, he is enjoying his retirement, and working on his cars.
Past owned Shelby's:
1968 GT-350--Gold
1970 GT-500--#3129--Grabber Orange.
Current lifelong projects:
1969 Mustang Fastback/FOX chassis, 5 speed, 4 wheel discs, with a modern Can-Am 494 (Boss 429), Kaase heads, intake with a 1425 cfm 'B' Autolite Inline carb, ala Trans-Am style
1968/70 Olds 442 W-30

98SVT - was 06GT

• SAAC Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: May 30, 2022, 07:20:15 PM »
A few days before he retired he told me he was going to concentrate on his projects. Next time we venture to Anaheim I'll take a run by his house.

my driveway is currently full of three car haulers (extra garages) needing my magic touch when I retire
Previous owner 6S843 - GT350H & 68 GT500 Convert #135.
Mine: GT1 Mustang Track Toy, 1998 SVT Cobra, Wife's: 2004 Tbird
Member since 1975 - priceless

GT350Lad

• SAAC Member
  • Trent
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: May 30, 2022, 07:43:38 PM »
Ok no worries, thanks. Has anyone got a phone number for him? Pm me if you like
Cheers
6S373
6S1276

98SVT - was 06GT

• SAAC Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: July 29, 2022, 11:43:20 AM »
Spotted this on the Boss 302 website - posted 7-24:
Hey guys....say I have new so many of you will be interested in learning about.  Randy Gillis is alive and well...I spoke to him last evening at a Rock n Roll party we had and asked him how hes doing...and hes doing fine.  Just a bit burnt out on things and wanted to take a hiatus from the digital world for a while.  He said he'll be back and I relayed everybody was missing him....he was appreciative of all the people on the forum that were concerned.  I even had him pose.

FL SAAC

• SAAC Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: July 29, 2022, 12:11:41 PM »
Spotted this on the Boss 302 website - posted 7-24:
Hey guys....say I have new so many of you will be interested in learning about.  Randy Gillis is alive and well...I spoke to him last evening at a Rock n Roll party we had and asked him how hes doing...and hes doing fine.  Just a bit burnt out on things and wanted to take a hiatus from the digital world for a while.  He said he'll be back and I relayed everybody was missing him....he was appreciative of all the people on the forum that were concerned.  I even had him pose.

Great news that he is doing well.  I will suggest another hobby for him fishing  !

Life is good
Living RENT FREE in your minds...

Home of the Hertz Musketeers 

A person without a sense of humor is like a wagon without springs.  It's jolted by every pebble on the road

I have all UNGOLD cars

I am certainly not a Shelby Expert

Life is short B happy

98SVT - was 06GT

• SAAC Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: July 29, 2022, 03:38:28 PM »
I will suggest another hobby for him fishing 

I was always taught that fishing is just something you do while getting drunk. I never took up the hobby and had a rule - no fishing from my boat! My little 14' sailboat was great we had a spot where you worked hard to make some distance then turned around and went downwind. That leg was just long enough for 1 beer. I got a deal on a 15' Coronado and was disappointed it was much faster and it didn't give you enough time to finish your beer. The 25' sailboat had cup holders. I bought a 25' Bayliner cabin cruiser from a friend. He stepped up to a 36' with a pair of BB Chevys. He said he wanted to get to Catalina with the same drink in his hand that he left with. He didn't keep it long those Chevies would eat $400 worth of gas making the round trip - about 1 mpg.
« Last Edit: July 29, 2022, 03:47:17 PM by 98SVT - was 06GT »

FL SAAC

• SAAC Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: July 29, 2022, 07:52:26 PM »
I will suggest another hobby for him fishing 

I was always taught that fishing is just something you do while getting drunk. I never took up the hobby and had a rule - no fishing from my boat! My little 14' sailboat was great we had a spot where you worked hard to make some distance then turned around and went downwind. That leg was just long enough for 1 beer. I got a deal on a 15' Coronado and was disappointed it was much faster and it didn't give you enough time to finish your beer. The 25' sailboat had cup holders. I bought a 25' Bayliner cabin cruiser from a friend. He stepped up to a 36' with a pair of BB Chevys. He said he wanted to get to Catalina with the same drink in his hand that he left with. He didn't keep it long those Chevies would eat $400 worth of gas making the round trip - about 1 mpg.

Keep it simple is the best,  when we fish that is the last thing on our minds fishing.  It's more of a social gathering with lots of tall tales such as the economy,  who is power, who will come to power, what did he say today? b's that b's this.

As far as consuming adult beverages I usually do not indulge, but I am usually surrounded by those that crave those nectars...

We gone and glad that Randy is doing well, toutles !

A person without a sense of humor is like a wagon without springs.  It's jolted by every pebble on the road

I have all UNGOLD cars

Life is short B happy

FL SAAC

• SAAC Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: June 09, 2023, 06:15:35 PM »
Well, just asking;

Brother Randy where art thou ?

https://youtu.be/5fkWheDcI50

I have all UNGOLD cars

Life is short B happy

JohnSlack

• View Profile
« Reply #9 on: October 03, 2023, 08:55:06 PM »
I'm very sorry to report that Randy Gillis passed away last Friday. Heart attack. I knew Randy for over 40 plus years. Very sad time.

John

FL SAAC

• SAAC Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: October 03, 2023, 09:25:50 PM »

Our sincerest condolences to all  his family and friends. May he rest in peace.

I have all UNGOLD cars

Life is short B happy

mark p

• SAAC Member
  • south NJ - Philly 'burbs
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: October 03, 2023, 11:41:45 PM »
I'm very sorry to report that Randy Gillis passed away last Friday. Heart attack. I knew Randy for over 40 plus years. Very sad time.
John

Very sad to hear  :( :( :(. I never met Randy in person, but he was an inspiration and big help to me... and seemingly EVERYONE in the SAAC and Ford communities. I'm in shock.
R.I. P.
"I don't know what the world may need, but a V8 engine's a good start for me" (from Teen Angst by the band "Cracker")

66 Tiger / 65 Thunderbird

Jim Herrud

• SAAC Member
  • '65 GT350 Tribute, '19 GT350 Eagle ID
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: October 04, 2023, 12:37:20 AM »
My wife and I met Randy at SAAC-46. A cool guy and very helpful.
He organized the only drag race I've ever participated in.
(Correction, the only "legal" one.)

Our sincerest sympathies.
Shelby Buff.
I used to be a “Vintage Car” guy. Now I’m just a “Vintage” car guy.
"There's never enough horsepower - Just not enough traction." - C.S.
Straight Roads are for Fast Cars. Turns are for Fast Drivers.

TA Coupe

• View Profile
« Reply #13 on: October 04, 2023, 01:50:58 AM »
I was dazed and moping around most of the day after John called to let know. I  have known Randy since meeting him in 1975 at Mostly Mustangs In Oakland. Had a lot of good times over the years, mostly meeting up at the races and various events in SoCal. He will be missed here, on the SAAC Forum and the numerous other forums he posted on to share his knowledge. I had just checked the forum a day or two ago to see if he had poked his head in with out anyone noticing, but he hadn't.

Miss you terribly Buddy,  ROY
If it starts it's streetable.
Overkill is just enough.

Kent

• SAAC Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: October 04, 2023, 02:15:48 AM »
Race in Peace Randy, last checkered Flag for you. Thank you for all the nice conversations about racing and building cars we had in the past. My condolences to your family.
SAAC Member from Germany and Owner of a unrestored 1967 Shelby GT500, 1968 1/2 Cobra Jet´s and some nice Mustang Fastback´s 67/68